Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
cdsavage
cdsavage

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

I'm happy to release a copy of our demo car if it's any help to anyone. It hasn't undergone any CFD development though, and it isn't fully legal since it was built to an old version of the rulebook.

CAEdevice

About the mesh (I missed the previous post of Julien). I can't express a complete opinion because I could not run OneClickCFD yet, but I would choose the finest mesh possible. If a fee would not be approved a free contribution or a sponsorship could be considered to pay the cloud computing on Amazon.

cdsavage
cdsavage

A site that's definitely worth having a good read through for ideas:
http://www.mulsannescorner.com

RicME85

Thanks for the offers guys but its ok

julien.decharentenay
julien.decharentenay

Sorry for not being online recently. I was busy trying to sort out one-click CFD, which I think is getting there.

@MadMatt I would advise waiting for the next version to avoid the divergence issues that CAEdevice is experiencing. I will include 3.98.1 as supported in the next version.

MadMatt
MadMatt

Thank you Julien. I sent you a PM regarding a legality question I have about my car, but I would imagine you are very busy, so who could I show this issue to? I cannot really post it here because it reveals most of my car, eventho its in the early stages, I would prefer to keep things in the shadows for now! :)

Also Chris I would be interested in the demo car so I can run a bit of CFD on it and post the results here if it is something people would be interested in? I like the design of it, it looks very modern, unlike mine! :)

cdsavage
cdsavage

MadMatt wrote:Thank you Julien. I sent you a PM regarding a legality question I have about my car, but I would imagine you are very busy, so who could I show this issue to? I cannot really post it here because it reveals most of my car, eventho its in the early stages, I would prefer to keep things in the shadows for now! :)

Also Chris I would be interested in the demo car so I can run a bit of CFD on it and post the results here if it is something people would be interested in? I like the design of it, it looks very modern, unlike mine! :)
I'll be handling the rule checking tasks for 2015, so you can send any questions about legality to me through PMs or at chris at khamsinvirtualracecarchallenge dotcom.

I'll see if I can alter our demo car to fit the current rulebook and then I'll release it here.

cdsavage
cdsavage

A 'release candidate' version of the rulebook has been released on the KVRC site (http://www.khamsinvirtualracecarchallen ... lenge-2015). Hopefully this should be the final, definitive release unless any problems come up. There haven't been any major changes since the December 30 release, but the rule on the visibility of the rear suspension templates has been relaxed (only needs to be hidden from above) and there is now an inner template for the engine inlet.

CAEdevice

cdsavage wrote:A 'release candidate' version of the rulebook has been released on the KVRC site (http://www.khamsinvirtualracecarchallen ... lenge-2015). Hopefully this should be the final, definitive release unless any problems come up. There haven't been any major changes since the December 30 release, but the rule on the visibility of the rear suspension templates has been relaxed (only needs to be hidden from above) and there is now an inner template for the engine inlet.
Thank you!

If I'm not wrong, previously the rear suspension could be visible from behind. Now it can be seen from behind and forward, but not from above. Is it right?

cdsavage
cdsavage

CAEdevice wrote:
cdsavage wrote:A 'release candidate' version of the rulebook has been released on the KVRC site (http://www.khamsinvirtualracecarchallen ... lenge-2015). Hopefully this should be the final, definitive release unless any problems come up. There haven't been any major changes since the December 30 release, but the rule on the visibility of the rear suspension templates has been relaxed (only needs to be hidden from above) and there is now an inner template for the engine inlet.
Thank you!

If I'm not wrong, previously the rear suspension could be visible from behind. Now it can be seen from behind and forward, but not from above. Is it right?
This was the line that was removed: "From any viewing angle ahead of the RWCL which is above and to the side of the car, no part of the rear suspension volumes may be visible". Now the only requirement for the rear templates is that they're not visible from above.

CAEdevice

Ok, that's an interesting change.

I'm going to leave for about two week, so the development of my car wil be suspended for a while.
I hope that in the meanwhile the CFD framework will be completed.

For the moment I leave you with a small 2015 teaser of my new car, to stimulate the imagination ;)

Last edited by CAEdevice on 27 Jan 2015, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

MadMatt
MadMatt

That rule won't change much on the diffuser side of things I think, because the suspension components are so close between each other that you cannot really go with your diffuser between the components, and the floor ends too far back to leave another option but to go under them! :)

Nice picture Matteo, it looks good, proper Pikes Peak style front wheel arches, rear wing suppoerted by central pillars, and flaps to cover the suspension! :)

EDIT: Here is a teaser for my vehicle, that is not the latest version (for whatever we can see), but as I only did 5 "evos" that's alright I guess. I hope I can perform CFD with the KVRC solver and software soon tho, because I am unsure how it will perform with these tools! But look at the car, its already been on the road testing! :wink:

CAEdevice

Matt, you are right about two points out of three :)

Good render!

One of the reasons I'm suspending the development is that I'm waiting for the official boundary condition, the other is that I'll have with me only an old notebook without CAE (execept SWX basic) for the next two weeks. Anyway I'll be able to test a very simplified model (a cube with wheels) with the new release of OCCFD.

MadMatt
MadMatt

Is there a quick way to know your frontal area from a CAD file or .STL? At the moment I am doing it manually but it is a bit annoying. :)

cdsavage
cdsavage

MadMatt wrote:Is there a quick way to know your frontal area from a CAD file or .STL? At the moment I am doing it manually but it is a bit annoying. :)
I can't think of a simple way. What do you need this for? The results from One-Click CFD include total force and Cd.A / Cl.A, which are independent of reference areas.