I recently acquired a 1998 Reynard 98i...

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Aquapon

I recently acquired a 1998 Reynard 98i...

I know that this is F1technical but I figured there would be some overlap, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I recently trailered back a 1998 Reynard 98i originally ran by Hogan Racing and driven by JJ Lehto . The car is missing the engine, steering wheel and there may be no gearset in the gearbox but everything else is there (the shocks are spacers). I co-own a machine shop and have extensive composite experience and I want to fully restore the car including getting it trackworthy.

I am looking to gather as much technical data, general resources, schematics etc. to get as much information about the car as possible before getting into the 'nitty gritty' . For the near future I am going to be doing some polishing and cleanup as it has been sitting for some time.

Thank you!

Facts Only

Re: I recently acquired a 1998 Reynard 98i...

Where abouts are you? There are lots of people in the hillclimb fraternity running 90's single seaters and Indy engines. There are always plenty of parts for sale.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

flynfrog

check out this Penske pc23 restoration on autosport for some inspiration.

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/17553 ... -indy-car/

Aquapon

I am in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Thanks flynfrog that link is awesome!

Facts Only

Aquapon wrote:I am in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Thanks flynfrog that link is awesome!
A bit far from Shelsley Walsh then!

Do you have any pictures? I love the 90's Indy/Champ/CART cars, I tried to buy the remains of a Lola a few years back but the chassis/tub identity couldn't be proven so I decided against it.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

ChrisF1

Aquapon, please post lots of pictures - I love the cars of this era and it's great when an enthusiast gets hold of a car like this.

Aquapon

It has been sitting for a while so we are going to be doing a very thorough washing this weekend, I will post up a bunch of pictures then. Our plan is to also replace all the hardware that is a bit corroded and to repaint/powdercoat/anodize the metal bits as needed. We also figured that after some cleaning we would UV clear the exposed carbon bits as I don't think the little extra weight will matter for our application :)

Is there an easy way to get the wheels off without us having to machine something to fit?

FW17

What is the shelf life of Carbon Fiber? Does it loose structural integrity as it ages?

Carbon

WilliamsF1 wrote:What is the shelf life of Carbon Fiber? Does it loose structural integrity as it ages?
Though not directly related to motorsport, an interesting article nonetheless about the lifespan of CF.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/08/what- ... bon-frame/

MrNoo

WilliamsF1 wrote:What is the shelf life of Carbon Fiber? Does it loose structural integrity as it ages?
I hope not!! My glider wings are made from it, it is nearly 25yrs old and they haven't fallen off yet!!

ChrisF1

Wasn't there speculation over the condition of the Dallara IndyCars of the type Dan Wheldon was killed in, with some speculating that the tubs used were structurally compromised and actually 8 years old, contributing to injuries?