Building up a 2014 Caterham CT05

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
showcar

Building up a 2014 Caterham CT05

Hi,
previously I built up a BAR Honda 03 but I am now in the process of assembling Marcus Ericsson's 2014 CT05#1. I am not going to build the car myself but use professional's as the project is way out of my depths however I am posting on this forum in case anyone can help.
I have a Twitter account under the name of @kevts
The monocoque as mentioned was used in Jerez testing at the start of the season and then took part in 11GPs and the Silverstone in season test before it hit the wall in Hungary during the Grand Prix.
After the GP the monocoque was taken back to Leafield but I am guessing due to cash shortages was never repaired. I bought it earlier on in 2015 and then purchased the floor and engine cover that was also damaged in the 2014 Hungarian GP as separate lots. I spoke to the Auctioneers and they believed the floor and engine cover was discarded somewhere on the massive site before they sold it on to me.
At the moment I am having the front suspension fabricated by hand by an Ex- Red Bull guy called Tom Sweet. I am limited in what I can access not only due to cash but also parts availability, I will be running the car on 2012 Front uprights and as mentioned aim to have the car assembled fully and repaired (roll hoop cover) by the end of March 2016.
At that point my aim is to add a Formula Renault engine and gearbox as there is no way I could access or afford a Renault Power unit.
I understand that this may be seen as not a real F1 car once its running but it is how I want it and that's what matters to me rather than doing this to please others.
Pictures can be found on my Twitter account and any help with sourcing parts for the CT05 would be appreciated, Likewise help with sourcing a good Formula Renault engine and Gearbox would be appreciated.
Many thanks
PS I will try and add images

Edax

Re: Building up a 2014 Caterham CT05

https://twitter.com/KevTs

Nice project, especially like your backyard.

RicME85

Have been following you on Twitter for a few months, some very interesting details on there from the CAD files.

andylaurence

How much does the Formula Renault engine differ from the Clio engine it's based on? If it's anything like the Fiesta engine in mine, it's just the sump, intake and exhaust (and a relocated alternator). Ignoring those parts, I can buy a replacement engine for £500. The Renault might be the same and you would probably need a custom sump/intake/exhaust anyway.

The gearbox is just a standard SADEV unit and I assume you need a sequential unit for pneumatics as there's no room for a lever in the monocoque. What ECU are you planning for the gearbox? Will you use one unit for engine and gearbox or separate units? This Drexler might be a cheaper alternative to a SADEV/Hewland. I'm guessing a bike engine won't fit under the engine cover, otherwise that's a cheap way to similar power (~200bhp), lots of revs (over 13000rpm for a 1000cc unit) and a sequential dog 'box. If it'd fit, it'd be a great solution as you could turbo/supercharge when funds allow - 450bhp is reasonably easy.

as.racing

Looks great, pm sent.

Andy
Follow the Britcar Production Cup BMW Z3 build blog at http://www.asracingblog.com

24000rpm

iirc I saw the caterham auction after they quit f1, is this the car you bought?

wogx

This project is still alive! :D

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.