Inboard braking system

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
teammaverick

Inboard braking system

anyone knows how to design inboard braking system?

Facts Only

Re: Inboard braking system

Ken Tyrrell and Alfa Romeo definitely do.

Its a bit of an open question, do you mean do people know how to run a design process? Or do you want to know how to spec' them? Or do you want to know the different considerations from designing outboard brakes?
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Jersey Tom

Same way you design an outboard one. You have a caliper, a rotor, and a way to transfer the braking torque to the wheel. Just in this case you need something like a drive shaft rather than more directly acting on the hub.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

teammaverick

in case of outboard braking we took torque at wheels to calculate braking torque but in case of inboard braking we apply brake at differential...so wht torque should be consider?and is there any factor needs to be consider for half shafts while designing?

rscsr

teammaverick wrote:in case of outboard braking we took torque at wheels to calculate braking torque but in case of inboard braking we apply brake at differential...so wht torque should be consider?and is there any factor needs to be consider for half shafts while designing?
The only real difference is that the braking torque has to go through the half shafts. So you design the brake with basically the same parameters and beef up everything between the brakes and the rim to accomodate the additional brake torque.

teammaverick

I have limited slip differential in my car.So where should i place brake disc on it?

J.A.W.

teammaverick wrote:I have limited slip differential in my car.So where should i place brake disc on it?

FYI, check out the Jaguar XJS, which was in production for over 20 years.

It was originally produced with the Jag IRS inboard brake set-up, but for final production, adopted wheel hub brake location,
since the realization - everyday practicalities being worthwhile - over perceived design advantages, had finally dawned.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

PlatinumZealot

teammaverick wrote:in case of outboard braking we took torque at wheels to calculate braking torque but in case of inboard braking we apply brake at differential...so wht torque should be consider?and is there any factor needs to be consider for half shafts while designing?
The torques will be almost the same. The only thing that changes is the slight axis changes of the CV joints and the torsional rigidity of the shaft. So not much more additional braking torque is needed.

The reason why the brakes were no longer positioned inboard was aerodynamics. At least, that is what the narrator says in the Team Lotus documentary. With outboard brakes the frontal area of the brakes is nullified by the wheel itself. And also aero-effects of the wheel can be used to help brake cooling... and heat from the brakes can help to heat the tyres... so in other words the aerodynamic and thermodynamic benefits of outboard brakes outweigh the advantage of lighter unsprung weight of inboard brakes..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏