[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

On the contrary, the top class could include a oil heat exchanger and inlet surfaces to measure the pressure resultant for brakes cooling (no porous media no outlets no flow measure needed in this case).

It is all about finding the right balance between "engineers point (and advanced students)" and "motorports enthusiastic".

LVDH

Look, once more you guys should relax until we get close to releasing the new rules.
The intro class will for sure be LMP2 like: A second championship with a bit less power.

About the twist:
2016 you had to put a lot of emphasis on cooling (I will review this, in 2017 it might get a bit easier).
For 2017 I would like to see a new cool feature. If I get my cloud services running a DRS system could be possible.
What I would also like is for you guys to choose between two different arrangements of the electric motors.
But I have to discus all this with Chris and Richard first. As this has not happened, I cannot tell you more yet.

CAEdevice

Don't worry I am completely relaxed!

Easier cooling simulation? How can be made easier than it is? I hope it will still be realisitic.

DRS? It is what I don't like in F1 and we don't need to overtake... I could spend an addititional simulation run (or two), I would roughly simulate the pitch angle during brake, maybe only for the top class.

Electric engine: a front one? :)
I would be important to consider the effects on CoG (the same for the heat exchangers).

P.S. I would support any decision anyway: this year I am going to have a relaxed approach... I am still satisfied by the latest season and to provide a good customer car is my priority.

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote: Electric engine: a front one? :)
I would be important to consider the effects on CoG (the same for the heat exchangers).
Yes, it would affect CoG, the front tire sizes and also the aerodynamics, as one or two "big" motors in the rear need diffuser space. But first I have to talk to Richard as he would have to adapt the virtual stop watch. And probably Chris would have to modify the CAD templates. So nothing is fixed, I only have some ideas.

rjsa

Help here,

I'm getting OFrunning in AWS and got this:
Create time

Create mesh for time = 0

SIMPLE: convergence criteria
field p tolerance 5e-05
field "(U|k|epsilon|omega)" tolerance 1e-06

Reading field p

Reading field U

Reading/calculating face flux field phi

Selecting incompressible transport model Newtonian
Selecting turbulence model type RAS
Selecting RAS turbulence model kOmegaSST
Selecting patchDistMethod meshWave
kOmegaSSTCoeffs
{
alphaK1 0.85;
alphaK2 1;
alphaOmega1 0.5;
alphaOmega2 0.856;
gamma1 0.555556;
gamma2 0.44;
beta1 0.075;
beta2 0.0828;
betaStar 0.09;
a1 0.31;
b1 1;
c1 10;
F3 false;
}

No MRF models present

Creating finite volume options from "system/fvOptions"

Selecting finite volume options model type explicitPorositySource
Source: porosity_heat_exachanger_right_extrude_2d
- selecting cells using cellZone heat_exachanger_right_extrude_2d
- selected 44668 cell(s) with volume 0.0201693
Porosity region porosity_heat_exachanger_right_extrude_2d:
selecting model: DarcyForchheimer
creating porous zone: heat_exachanger_right_extrude_2d
coordinateSystem origin: (0 0 0)
e1 (1 0 0);
e2 (0 1 0);
e3 (0 0 1);

local bounds: (0.100861 0.547447 0.423326)

Starting time loop

--> FOAM Warning :
From function void Foam::timeControl::read(const Foam::dictionary&)
in file db/functionObjects/timeControl/timeControl.C at line 90
Reading "/home/ubuntu/OpenFOAM/ubuntu-v1612+/run/0_0_6q_LW_HS_2/system/controlDict.functions.p1" from line 3 to line 13
Using deprecated 'outputControl'
Please use 'writeControl' with 'writeInterval'
[0]
[0]
[0] --> FOAM FATAL ERROR:
[0] Unknown function type pressureTools

Valid functions are :

(
Any ideas?

LVDH

Hi, I hope to restart my MVRC work this week.
The error you have is because of OFv1612+. The MVRC edition of my tool does not support that. You have to use v1606+.
Last week I included the new OF (both versions) into my software. If I do not detect any issues with that I will soon release a totally new version of the software.

rjsa

Got it now, thanks.

TalnoRacing

LVDH wrote:
TalnoRacing wrote: How do you start to fix the cooling problem?
With the delayed race I should finally find the time to write an article about that. There are some simple rules of thumb to do it. I hope they will work on the MantiumRacer.
@LVDH - I don't know if I perhaps missed a post, but did you manage to write an article on the basics of duct design? I could really use some help.

CAEdevice

This article by Willem Toet is a good intro:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/air-duct ... illem-toet

If you need an advice about CAD modeling of the ducts, I can help you, but not with Sketchup.

@LDVH: there will be any change about the required flow through the radiators and the porous media properties?

rjsa

Thats's the article that got me going, been abloe to keep it above 3m3/s after a few nudges:

I guess it's still far from ideal but is enough for 100% power.

TalnoRacing

CAEdevice wrote:This article by Willem Toet is a good intro:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/air-duct ... illem-toet

If you need an advice about CAD modeling of the ducts, I can help you, but not with Sketchup.

@LDVH: there will be any change about the required flow through the radiators and the porous media properties?
Thank you CAEdevice.

LVDH

TalnoRacing wrote: @LVDH - I don't know if I perhaps missed a post, but did you manage to write an article on the basics of duct design? I could really use some help.
Sorry, still no. But I promise I will make something very soon. As it is necessary for me to work on the new rules it will definitely happen.
A good rule of thumb would be to have the inlet opening about a third to half of the size of the actual heat exchanger and the outlet about twice the size of the inlet.
What I will do is create a parametric duct and have an optimizer figure out a good configuration. I will share the results of that with you guys. In the end I did not do that last year because I did not want to influence the championship and now I am swamped with work. The picture above should give good motivation already as it shows how small changes can make the difference. And you guys are lucky, your designs only have to work at one velocity.

Ft5fTL

I need a bit of help.

As i said before i started to look to the CAD softwares and tried the inventor. But i didnt like the software and moved on to Solidworks (Thanks to a friend). I slowly made some progress on learning the software with looking some tutorials and poking the features. After 2 weeks of self teaching, i managed to build a car but there is a big (or small i dont know really) problem, i cannot fix the orientation.

I will really appreciate some pointers on importing the guide files, parts etc and with the orientation, otherwise i will export to 3ds Max and correct the bodywork every single time :(

edit: Rotating the bodywork doesnt help because after that, the ride height is getting pretty high.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

AratzH

Hi! What version of SW you have? I can send you an assembly correctly positioned to export in the right position.
MVRC -> TF

Ft5fTL

SW 2015.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing