[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
rjsa

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

About it mysteriously not working on some machines I get it here, the laptop with a newer W10 version won't run it, while the iMac with the older W10 build will.

Alonso Fan

rjsa wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 01:11
About it mysteriously not working on some machines I get it here, the laptop with a newer W10 version won't run it, while the iMac with the older W10 build will.
That's interesting and also depressing because both my machines are on the latest version
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

rjsa

I couldn't find the article again... One thing to look at, do you have spaces on the user name?

https://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openf ... win10.html

Some troubleshooting:

http://openfoam.com/download/txt/openfo ... v1606+.txt

Here it works with 1511 and fails with 1607 (I guess, the machine is runing OSX now) along with a lot of other stuff that went bad with that build.

Here: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic ... b&start=60

Alonso Fan

rjsa wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 01:22
I couldn't find the article again... One thing to look at, do you have spaces on the user name?

https://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openf ... win10.html

Some troubleshooting:

http://openfoam.com/download/txt/openfo ... v1606+.txt

Here it works with 1511 and fails with 1607 (I guess, the machine is runing OSX now) along with a lot of other stuff that went bad with that build.

Here: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic ... b&start=60
Aha my username does have a space (or underscore) perhaps this is the issue. I'll check when I get back from Uni today
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

LVDH

Alonso Fan wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 17:51
i'm posting on here since no one notices anything on the dedicated forum anymore
Who, me? :oops: :oops: :oops:

I have not have had too much time lately, sorry for that. It is good to see that all you guys are helping each other out.
I want to update the page this weekend and if I get hold of Chris will try to relaunch everything.
This biggest issue is the Intro class car. So if for example Matteo could send me his design without front and rear wings and with space for you guys to develop a diffuser on your own I think we could get back to our challenge rather soon.
Some of the features requested here lately are now implemented in the new MantiumFlow. During the next days a feature for automated streamlines will come as well. For now you will have to figure out how to do it in Paraview. It is not that difficult and there are tutorials and videos out there.
My new software is not difficult to install. For the Windows users the main difficulty will be installing the Docker version of OFv1606+. Porting my software to the newest OF versions is taking far too long as they completely changed (and partially broke) how post-processing works.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 16:16
Alonso Fan wrote:
i'm posting on here since no one notices anything on the dedicated forum anymore

I have not have had too much time lately, sorry for that. It is good to see that all you guys are helping each other out.
I want to update the page this weekend and if I get hold of Chris will try to relaunch everything.
This biggest issue is the Intro class car. So if for example Matteo could send me his design without front and rear wings and with space for you guys to develop a diffuser on your own I think we could get back to our challenge rather soon.
Some of the features requested here lately are now implemented in the new MantiumFlow. During the next days a feature for automated streamlines will come as well. For now you will have to figure out how to do it in Paraview. It is not that difficult and there are tutorials and videos out there.
My new software is not difficult to install. For the Windows users the main difficulty will be installing the Docker version of OFv1606+. Porting my software to the newest OF versions is taking far too long as they completely changed (and partially broke) how post-processing works.
Hi André, I could send you the proposal for the intro car, but I would prefer to see the rulebook before (I am going to send you the car anyway in a few minutes).

Are you sure you want to let the partecipants to the intro class edit/design the diffuser? It is very difficult to develop the diffuser for a newbye (I needed two years...), it would require much time and iterations.

Alonso Fan

LVDH wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:

Hi André, I wasn't specifically referring to you but it's nice to see you back :)

This is excellent news I cannot wait
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

AratzH

CAEdevice wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 17:02
LVDH wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:

Hi André, I could send you the proposal for the intro car, but I would prefer to see the rulebook before (I am going to send you the car anyway in a few minutes).

Are you sure you want to let the partecipants to the intro class edit/design the diffuser? It is very difficult to develop the diffuser for a newbye (I needed two years...), it would require much time and iterations.
I have also been working on a customer/entry type of car. I my mind I was thinking more on a given set of parts (front wing and flaps, rear wing and flaps) that the participants can mix and match and also change little things like angle of attack and slot gaps. It would remove the burden of precise modeling but would still allow them to be able to experiment the importance of the diferent aspects of a racecar (balance, efficiency, cooling). I could even include a couple of diffusers. I think this would be a good way to aquire some of the knoledge needed to succeed in the top class.
MVRC -> TF

RicME85

thats exactly what I have been trying to get the intro class to have for years

LVDH

If we can agree on a few design specifications I do not mind more than one intro class car at all. I think what we need is simply a car without rear wing and mounts, something like a stepped diffuser like found on the first intro class car and free space for the front diffuser / wing / suspension cover. As long as the car is legal I do not see why the MVRC staff should not "homologate" it.
I would just not underestimate the design efforts you guys would have to put into it as you will probably want to see at least one team picking up your design, so it should work and that includes cooling.

CAEdevice

With my car layout (covered wheels F1, with cocacola shaped sidepods) it would be impossible to design a step to be filled with the diffuser: I will simply cut the floor at the front edge of the diffuser.

What we actually need to complete the intro class car design is the 2017 template/rulebook.

CAEdevice

Hi, Google search just reminded me how crazy and illogical was my first KVRC/MVRC car in the lmpX age (2015).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7wd3lvj8o4xn ... 2.jpg?dl=0

It is a summary of typical errors and flow separation examples.

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
28 Mar 2017, 11:45
What we actually need to complete the intro class car design is the 2017 template/rulebook.
I am on that. I hope to somehow present a new rule book including new software within the next two weeks.

CAEdevice wrote:
28 Mar 2017, 22:49
Hi, Google search just reminded me how crazy and illogical was my first KVRC/MVRC car in the lmpX age (2015).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7wd3lvj8o4xn ... 2.jpg?dl=0

It is a summary of typical errors and flow separation examples.
What I like so much about the championship is to see how the competitivness forces everyone to learn very fast and how that results into faster cars. If anyone is looking for a CFD / Aero engineer they should have a good look at who learns the fastest here. I think last year AratzH was a good example of that. Will he be this years new champ?

CAEdevice

The impressive thing is that 80% of the parametric features of that car are still there in 2017.

It is much better to evolve the car step by step than to create a new one.
I am still studing my LeMans 2016 car and there are lots of areas where I don't know what exactly happens to the airflow.

AratzH

[/quote]
What I like so much about the championship is to see how the competitivness forces everyone to learn very fast and how that results into faster cars. If anyone is looking for a CFD / Aero engineer they should have a good look at who learns the fastest here. I think last year AratzH was a good example of that. Will he be this years new champ?
[/quote]

It's funny that you say that, because it has actually happened(the aero engineer part, not the champ)!!
MVRC -> TF