[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Interesting car (except the airscope).
About the hardware: the RAM is the biggest limit.

Alonso Fan

CAEdevice wrote:
31 Mar 2017, 22:22
Interesting car (except the airscope).
About the hardware: the RAM is the biggest limit.
Haha, the air inlet was hacked on last minute to comply with the rules. I didn't have enough time to do a proper job and, well it worked so it stayed. The car was basically all designed by visual inspection because last season I didn't have enough time to set up w flow and test etc.
Cooling was horrible, I'm looking to a different but familiar concept for this year, (and a better cad package)

It's the car I used for le mans last year. I thought it would be a good place to test if OF is working because I already have the correct official results
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Alonso Fan

he does anyone know how to solve this error?

SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Alonso Fan

Alonso Fan wrote:
31 Mar 2017, 23:31
he does anyone know how to solve this error?

http://i63.tinypic.com/11lncs2.png
its ok I found the error. the shared directory likes to be called 'openfoam' and nothing else
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

variante

machin wrote:
31 Mar 2017, 21:21
Who's going to copy the big front wheel fairings?!

Yeah, I don't know what is up with those things... Possibly, they are trying to decrease the amount of airflow hitting the "bonnet" and the canopy, overcompensating the increase of drag of the wheel fairings.

BTW have you seen those rear view mirrors? :o

CAEdevice

Maybe it has something to do with the cooling inlets flow? I would need to see the car from above... maybe tomorrow in Monza :)

machin

Also interesting that both Toyota and Porsche have separated the front bodywork from the side pods so the radiator inlets are visible from above / front.

I wouldn't be surprised if those clear rear-view mirror fairings get banned: surely they add reflection and distortions?!

EDIT: I wonder if the bigger wheel fairings simply allow them to take a more idealised "tear-drop" shape whilst encompassing the front wheels?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
01 Apr 2017, 12:20
EDIT: I wonder if the bigger wheel fairings simply allow them to take a more idealised "tear-drop" shape whilst encompassing the front wheels?
I think so. I guess that large or ordinary wheels fairings hava a small impact on the drag.

LVDH

Maybe by increasing the size of the wheel fairings they reduce the section between them and the cockpit resulting into increased air speed at the front top diffuser exit. This increase in air speed leads to a lower pressure which might help extract air out of the front diffuser.

rjsa

But wouldn't the effect on lift be more damaging?

My diffuser trailing edge isn't open on top, so I wouldn't know if it's net positive in that case.

LVDH

rjsa wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 15:15
But wouldn't the effect on lift be more damaging?
Damaging yes, more is the question. Usually there is no free lunch. In the end you guys have similar cars and CFD. Maybe we will see a solution like this soon in MVRC.

CAEdevice

I have just come back from Monza, and I could see the Porsche LMP1 (on the track and in the box without the front cover ).

My impression is that they want to direct all the flow into the cooling inlets.

The Porsche also has interesting winglets under the front sospensions. I guess that they are more important than the visible parts of the car.

I also met people from Team Variante, but their car wasn't on the track yet.

CAEdevice

About the Toyota 2017: it looks that my 2016 layout (confirmed for 2017) was not completely crazy (also the Audi 2017 would have had similar features in front of the rear wheels arches).

wesley123

Afaik the point of the fender shape is to kill lift. Push the air around the car instead of over it where it will generate lift.

I do think these fenders look bigger than they really are. Porsches fenders have been really smooth in the past, and these are much more blunt. That they then also use all area available for the headlights makes the whole thing look much bigger
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

variante

wesley123 wrote:
03 Apr 2017, 22:34
I do think these fenders look bigger than they really are. Porsches fenders have been really smooth in the past, and these are much more blunt. That they then also use all area available for the headlights makes the whole thing look much bigger
Nono, they actually have a much larger area than the minimum possible:
I'm still convinced that those things (whatever they are called) are designed to avoid a sort of "parachute effect".