Silly simple question

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Caito

Silly simple question

Hi guys!

First of all, merry christmas :D

Yesterday I had this simple thought, but since I'm not a mechanical engineer I wasn't sure of the solution.

If you have a piece of sheet metal with a hole in it and you heat it up, is there any way that the hole becomes smaller? Imagine if the sides are constrained and the thermal expansion uses the hole space, or something like that.

Normally to put a bearing you heat the case, so the direct answer is no, but could it?

Cheers, and thanks for your input!

PS Sorry if this is not the correct place for this question, wasn't sure where to put it.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

biker_ev

Re: Silly simple question

I don't think so, unless you heat it up a LOT and add some material like bronze...(brazing).

void

The hole gets bigger.

Greg Locock

I think that if you had a rigid frame , with cooling and then welded your sheet of metal inside , maybe. Or ignore the sheet metal , make the sheet of kevlar.

noname

If the plate will be restrained on the outer edges it can/will deform out of plane. Hole may get deformed, but it will not get smaller.

hollus

Never say never. The list is relatively small and seems to exclude simple metals. It does though, include graphene. Active aero anyone?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negativ ... _expansion
And even some metals here:
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.10 ... 3/1/013001
Rivals, not enemies.

Brian Coat

Yes

Fe_3 Pt

SteveRacer

When you put cylinder sleeves in a block, you put the block in the oven and cool the sleeves. They slide right in, when everything hits room temp they aren't coming out.