[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

LVDH wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 10:59
Hi,
I received nervous emails about one of the teams not shown on the team section of the challenge page. No need to worry, TF is back.
As I can now add sliders for the car images I updated Idadox. I think he could be very strong this year, so try and have a good look at what he submitted.
I was worried about "having" TF in the list, not about "not having", considering the performances in the last 2016 races :)

Alonso Fan

LVDH wrote:
Hi,
I received nervous emails about one of the teams not shown on the team section of the challenge page. No need to worry, TF is back.
As I can now add sliders for the car images I updated Idadox. I think he could be very strong this year, so try and have a good look at what he submitted.
What about RichME? He's not there either
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

LVDH

He is running Brook Motorsport. Just like in every other sports event, it is your responsibility to make sure you are properly registered. Everyone should check if he is listed on the challenge page, has access to the software and the Q&A section, and has received the email with the submission link. If you are missing one of these, please send me a message, so I can correct it.

rjsa

LVDH wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for the kind comments :wink:

I know those images are not great, I can replace them along the way,right? I'm about to say it's enough for Monaco and will try to do a properly rendered set.

RicME85

rjsa wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 04:04
Try this : COP=(3/(1+((cl(F))/(cl(R)))))

Here: http://asciimath.org/

PS: Is there any kind of math markup available here at F1T?
Still makes no sense but thanks :D
From memory you start at the middle set of brackets and work out yes? The way my mind is reading it is like this:
cl(F) divide by cl(R) then:
1 add sum of previous equation then:
3 divided by sum of previous equation = COP
Is that correct or a wild swing and a miss? :D

LVDH

Sounds right, you did it. Now you only have to type it into a calculator. But you can also roughly see in how far your car is balanced. If cl_frt and cl_rr are about the same COP will be about in the center, right?

rjsa

Yep, equal gives COP=1.5

Or, easier, type it into excell

LVDH

One more thing: When submitting your cars, please using meaningful names. Something like TeamName_Track_Version.... would be good. "---EPXVII" is hard to link to a team. I can guess, but come on...

RicME85

For the intro class, are we limited to modifying front wing, rear wing, floor and diffuser? Are we allowed to add vanes and winglets to the supplied chassis?
I assume that if I were to create a bit of bodywork that 'bolted' on to the intro class chassis that would change the appearance that would move the submission from into to full?
Just mulling things over for later rounds as to what to do.

RicME85

rjsa wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 15:09
Or, easier, type it into excell
Good tip =D> Have gone on to Google Sheets and created the formula and its worked

AratzH

CAEdevice wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 11:32
LVDH wrote:
Hi,
I was worried about "having" TF in the list, not about "not having", considering the performances in the last 2016 races :)
:lol: I made it! I was thrown off by having received the Monaco email. Should have read it more carefully.

I just finished my first simulation with the new MFlow and after 9h (1 extra hour compared to 2016 version) and.... Results are very interesting. The car will be a minor change from LM2016, mainly to comply with the new rule boxes (has the rear wing envelope been dropped down because of my giganormous gurney from last year? ).

On another topic. Have the coefficients for the HX been compensated for the thinner core? I am getting a good extra 20% flow with the same config as last year... Any prospects on when (if) the HXs will be allowed in different orientation?
MVRC -> TF

RicME85

Anyone here ran simulations on the intro class car? I'm concerned by the numbers I have got for flow through the heat exchanger etc. If I ran the car with wings and floor obtained through the generation software I would only have 40% engine power.

LVDH

Good to see that you are back.
The flow coefficients for the HXs have been modified. I did take the thinner core into account. Still it should be a bit simpler than last year to reach cooling flow targets. I made a quite large investigation which I would like to share with guys when I find the time. Then some things might become clearer.
Also I ran extensive tests with the Docker version of OF. Tomorrow I will once more test my preferred alternative. If it works, everything will be much simpler. It will delay the development of some other things though. As of now I think this Docker stuff is a huge mess as the crazy questions on CFD online and SO show. Nobody seems to suffer from the same issues, all are different and non are easy to understand.

RicME85

LVDH wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 17:22
Matteo just mentioned in PM that you said to disregard the symbol in front of the hx monitor in the result. Is this true?
I have a result through one hx of -1.36211 m^3/s, in reality should that be counted as 1.36211 m^3/s?

LVDH

Yes, I get so many questions about this, yes just take the absolute value. I finally have to fix this. This "feature" is only a source of confusion.