[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

rjsa wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 18:48
I can beat last year's winner but I expect the bar to raise a tad. Let's see.
I also think I can beat last year's winner :)

TF for the first place and you with JJR for the podium are my favourites... but I also hope Variante get back to 2015 performance.

etsmc
etsmc

so have found the hole in my car and have been running some simulations.
I have added my engine intake and exhaust and also split the mirrors off as a separate STL file in the body folder.
Now when I post process the case I am only getting the following images
InputGeo
InputGeo_wHX
case-004-Cp-tot
case-005-Cp-tot
case-006-Cp-tot
case-010_iso_ptop
Case-021_streams
Case-022_streams
Case-023_streams
Case-024_streams
Case-025_streams

I am missing allot of the others.
I am running a case now with the intake and exhaust excluded and will see how post processing goes on that one.

not looking forward to this race as my efficiency car is not performing as intended and now with people talking of beating last years time, i don't hold out much hope. I may have to run the same car as the last race...

RicME85

I have just finished my first run with the latest version of MFLow and done the post processing. I noticed a lot of VTK errors in the terminal whilst it was running through. I have no images in the first few boxes and I have no body showing in the streamline sections which make it a bit difficult to figure out what is going on with the car, it does make some pretty images though!

etsmc
etsmc

etsmc wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 08:46
so have found the hole in my car and have been running some simulations.
I have added my engine intake and exhaust and also split the mirrors off as a separate STL file in the body folder.
Now when I post process the case I am only getting the following images
InputGeo
InputGeo_wHX
case-004-Cp-tot
case-005-Cp-tot
case-006-Cp-tot
case-010_iso_ptop
Case-021_streams
Case-022_streams
Case-023_streams
Case-024_streams
Case-025_streams

I am missing allot of the others.
I am running a case now with the intake and exhaust excluded and will see how post processing goes on that one.

not looking forward to this race as my efficiency car is not performing as intended and now with people talking of beating last years time, i don't hold out much hope. I may have to run the same car as the last race...
I believe my issue was my mirrors. once I removed the mirrors file from the vehicle_body folder it seems to be working again.
Should things like mirrors be split into 2 files, left and right?

On another note though how are people dealing with tire squirt from the front tires?? I am finding it difficult to control the squirt to the inside of the tire and it seems to be making the throat of my front diffuser smaller than what it actually is.

CAEdevice

etsmc wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 05:19
On another note though how are people dealing with tire squirt from the front tires?? I am finding it difficult to control the squirt to the inside of the tire and it seems to be making the throat of my front diffuser smaller than what it actually is.
It is a key point for me too. I don't think it is possible to completely control the front tyre squirt. I managed to generate vortices that solve the problem in the front diffuser regions, but the effects on the flow under floor are still present.

I have just submitted the car: no way to reach the impressive numbers of TF, so I tried to do something different choosing a high df setup (desperate choice :shock: ) despite the high efficiency track.

Btw: I am still convinced that we could work on these cars for another couple of years without a development convergence.

It would be great to have a tyre model that includes temperature effects (I think that extra low downforce would have difficulties to work in the correct range).

Alonso Fan

A similar thing is happening to my rear diffuser currently and I think it may also be due to the front tyre squint.

I now have a car which is capable of 4th in last year's race at sepang. Not groundbreaking but I'm starting to understand the flow better now

Anyone now if there is a way to import a picture into solidworks and sketch over it?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

CAEdevice

Alonso Fan wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 11:15
Anyone now if there is a way to import a picture into solidworks and sketch over it?
Insert >> Object >> Image from Paint

... but I always have aspect ratio issues when importing a BMP or JPG.

Alonso Fan

CAEdevice wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 14:38
Alonso Fan wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 11:15
Insert >> Object >> Image from Paint

... but I always have aspect ratio issues when importing a BMP or JPG.
thanks, i'll give that a go
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Ft5fTL

Here is some images from my car.

Despite the low drag rear wing and no wings on the front end, didnt lost any significant downforce. Infact i indentified that my suspension cover gives a lot of lift (around 0.8 cl). Working on a new solution on both suspension cover and front fenders.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

rjsa
rjsa

What exactly you guys call FW squirt?

I've got a pretty aggressive front end here, I'm having trouble toning it down. But it seems to me Sepang still isn't a full blown efficiency track. When I started during offseason I first developed a LM car and then went all the way to the car that raced in Monaco, in the opposite direction of the season. The fastest saw in Sepang was along the development, neither the higher efficiency nor the higher DF versions.

rjsa
rjsa

Matteo, which profiles did you use on the base car RW?

Tks

CAEdevice

rjsa wrote:
16 Sep 2017, 16:26
Matteo, which profiles did you use on the base car RW?

Tks
I did not use the CAESES utility for testing the car. It has been developed with two possible rear wings. The high df setup has a double airfoil wing with a section included in the maximum allowable rectangle (400x150mm). The low df setup has a single airfoil wing included in a rectangle 400x(about)65mm. Both wings were used during 2016 season (the high df section also in Monaco and Nurburgring 2017)

I can publish the wing sections in a 2d drawing, but only when I will be kn office (maybe this evening, probably next week).

They are not standard profiles, they have been parametrically modeled and then optimized: it is possible that the best parameters when mounted on my car or on the intro car (very similar), will not work perfectly with another car.

Their design has been optimised for the highest possible placement allowed by the rules, but other solutions might be more efficient (renouncing to some df): in the next race I will use a lower position of the rear wing to help the cooling flow through the sidepods (in my case it produces a bit more front downforce, improving the car balance), bit every car is different (my car and the intro car have the cooling outlets in front of the rear wheels axle).
Last edited by CAEdevice on 16 Sep 2017, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.

rjsa
rjsa

Oh, I mean the profile template which is morphed within caeses. Is it some NACA spec? Your design?

CAEdevice

rjsa wrote:
16 Sep 2017, 16:49
Oh, I mean the profile template which is morphed within caeses. Is it some NACA spec? Your design?
Sorry I was editing the previous answer while tou were writing.

Yes, it is a completely new design, based on splines and controlled with only 5 parameters (single airfoil, the version with double airfoil requires 11 parameters).

I don't actually use "morphing" because the simulations are too long with my powerful but not CFD dedicated workstation. Using a discrete and limited number of paramters is the best compromise at the moment.

rjsa
rjsa

Looks nice, I did a wing on caeses an it's running right now.