[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Alonso Fan

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

CAEdevice wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 20:20
@Alonso Fan : I have some concerns about the leading edge region of your front wing. Do you see flow separation from the upper surface?
thankfully I don't :)

it's been made with caeses

I do only run the mvrc_fast option though
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

etsmc

have we seen a shift in how people are making downforce now we have a reliable way of simulating the cooling?

Previously when there was no real cooling simulation allot of the cars had awsome diffusers that produced great amounts of downforce, but now with the cooling in the mix and needing to get so much airflow to the HX are we seeing less airflow under the car and therefore less extream diffusers?

CAEdevice

etsmc wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 05:05
have we seen a shift in how people are making downforce now we have a reliable way of simulating the cooling?

Previously when there was no real cooling simulation allot of the cars had awsome diffusers that produced great amounts of downforce, but now with the cooling in the mix and needing to get so much airflow to the HX are we seeing less airflow under the car and therefore less extream diffusers?
I actually increased the flow under the car. The main change I noticed is that nobody uses a separate front wing.
Last edited by CAEdevice on 21 Sep 2017, 08:04, edited 1 time in total.

etsmc

CAEdevice wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 07:13
etsmc wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 05:05

I actually increased the flow inder the car. The main change I noticed is that nobody uses a separate front wing.
So you are saying more people have gone down the road of using a diffuser at the front rather than a wing profile?
Personally, I found that using a wing on the front of the car I was still getting a lot of air coming up and over the top of the floor. it was quite a large wing though with a flap so maybe a smaller multielement front wing is the way to go.

LVDH

Hi guys,
sorry for being a bit quiet lately. Some virus was trying to challenge my body and as I cannot compete in MVRC that was the best thing I could do the last days. At least I am winning.
The simulations should be done now and the renders are as well:

http://mantiumchallenge.com/cars-mvrc-sepang-2017/

CAEdevice

Thanks LDVH, I hope you're feeling better.
My prediction for Sepang, after seeing the cars, is:

1) TF (interesting double airfoil rear wing)
2) Variante
3) JJR (I guess you have Cl*A above 5.5)
4) Idadox

The intro class teams are doing a very good job. Some of the solutions they choose are similar to the evolution I did on my car, starting from about the same base.

It is interesting to notice that every car has its own design philosophy, nobody is simply guessing with geometry.

LVDH

Well, just some numbers for you guys:
  • Smallest mesh size: 4.6e6 elements
  • Largest mesh size: 6.3e6 elements
  • Largest stl file (body): 56MB
  • Smallest stl file (body): 6.5MB
  • Worst cooling volume flow: 3.02m³/s
  • Highest cooling flow: 3.90m³/s
  • Best drag coefficient: 0.776 (Aref=1m²)
  • Worst drag coefficient: 1.101 (Aref=1m²)
  • Time between P1 and P5: 1.35s

variante

A few images to add some more color to the thread:

In this racetrack, Sepang, the competition will be tight, more than ever ...which underlines the level this competition has reached: the high efficiency required to get to the podium is no less than 6, a value that will be exceeded by different cars.

LVDH wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 15:58
Time between P1 and P5: 1.35s
As above... :)

CAEdevice

Great renderings! Do you need a gif version of CAEdevice logo with transparency?

I like the detail of the curved rear wing supports.

rjsa

1.35s is pretty tight.

The largest mesh is mine. It will improve LVDH, I promise you. You saw it's behaving better at least. My kid turned one month old today, time is at a very high premium here at home for me to figure another workflow.

It's kind of a relief to see TF using a rear wing at all ;)

Great looking car, Variante.

variante

CAEdevice wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 17:00
Great renderings! Do you need a gif version of CAEdevice logo with transparency?
I think the white background looks good too, and the logo itself is more visible (the strong color of my car brutalizes anything on its surface, especially the blue logos... #-o )

CAEdevice

rjsa wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 17:08
My kid turned one month old today, time is at a very high premium here at home for me to figure another workflow.
Congratulations!!!

My son is 4 years old today :)

I hope they will challenge in the 2030 (or 2040?) MVRC edition! I think they will manage larger meshes :)

LVDH

Mine is almost 15 months now. He will destroy you and your offspring with ease (in aerodynamics).

Happy birthday Matteo junior.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 17:39
Mine is almost 15 months now. He will destroy you and your offspring with ease (in aerodynamics).

Happy birthday Matteo junior.

... but do not underestimate my 7 year old daughter. She likes to roll my CAD models on screen.

AratzH

This is going to be such an interesting race. Someone has a lower Cd than me, that's good. For this race I found a little more Df was better. The rear wing is there only for balance purposes though. It will most likely disappear for the next races.
Variante's car is really nice. I can see some similarities with my own car, but I am sure the bottom part is where the magic happens.
Can't wait to see the results. 1.35 is very tight....
MVRC -> TF