Wesley123's F1 Model

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
jordangp

Re: Wesley123's F1 Model

MIKEY_! wrote:Point taken, I misread the regs. But... jordangp the cameras won't make any difference in a crash and the blade is still way too thin IMO, especially if the car rolls in a gravel trap.
It would hit the camera first, and it would break softening the blow somewhat. The front end is wide enough so it wouldn't dig in to any grass or anything,and because of that the driver's helmet shouldn't be hit.

wesley123
wesley123

I actually hoped you guys would talk about other things on my car than that :P

But indeed, Rool hoop is wide enough and won't dig in. The safety risk is blown out of proportion anyway, the gravel traps aren't deep enough to dig yourself in, and even if it would the force used will cause it to roll over.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

marcush.
marcush.

Wes,you are converging towards my ideas .... :mrgreen:
the rollhoop structure is damn close to what I had developping in my mind over the last months...only difference is I would not have made the Blade structure any longer than specified by the rules ..simply to get rid of the boundary layer building up on the surface dividing the inlet duct .that will free up even more crossection and give opportunity to slim that area down.

Also I think teams could exploit the head sideprotection a far bit more with concave undercuts which would nicely be filled with
radiator waste heat ..e.g.the undercut doubles up as auxilliary exits in a similar fashion as is done already but my exits would be
tucked in and not add to crossection..

abou the nose hump..why shouldn it be ok to have the flat top of the monocoque only reach forward to the maximum admitted

and feed the nose cone on its mandated maximum height into the tub ? the void inbetween could be nicely shaped as a keel and feed air towards the sidepod opening in the same way as we see in Mclarens and older williams nose treatments.That would really look the part.

wesley123
wesley123

Marcush, do you mean sort of like what Red Bull is doing? I actually had the idea of an similar solution, since it will reduce the drag caused by the 'hump' also providing air for cooling.

The nose itself will definately be updated over the course of the season though, as it can be a pretty useful tool in this way to balance the car out.

marcush.
marcush.

much more than what RBR is doing ...The tabletop is what I had in mind ,but why not open the sides and let the air spill down the sides of the monocoque?
Yes ,I know we got convergence in between wheels and tub so you don´t really want air tobe directed in that area ..
But you could round off the nosecone top enough to spread out the flow to the tub sides

wesley123
wesley123

I'm sorry but I do not understand the idea you have.

As for the nose, the goal was always to direct the airflow to the side of the tub rather than over it

marcush.
marcush.

I´ll sketch it up and upload it for you..

wesley123
wesley123

Thanks, looking forward to the pic.

On other news, I have now joined FormulaSketch after requests by Jordangp to do so.

I will compete under the KM Motorsports name with drivers Robert Doornbos and Lucas Di Grassi with Nigel Melker as test driver.

N12ck

wesley123 wrote:Thanks, looking forward to the pic.

On other news, I have now joined FormulaSketch after requests by Jordangp to do so.

I will compete under the KM Motorsports name with drivers Robert Doornbos and Lucas Di Grassi with Nigel Melker as test driver.
Welcome to the championship, I'm competing under Team Utopia with Gary Paffet, Jules Bianchi and Sam Bird as drivers, :P
Budding F1 Engineer

wesley123
wesley123

You're a new entry too right? looking forward to compete with you in the championship!

N12ck

wesley123 wrote:You're a new entry too right? looking forward to compete with you in the championship!
Yep I am, :) as do I!
Budding F1 Engineer

wesley123
wesley123

Okay (finally) the first update for the Australasian test and pretty much the melbourne package.

Different front wing, the additional winglet in the inner tip is gone, now sporting a large area of nothing. This works much better downstream generating a much smaller vortex higher up. The AoA was allowed to be higher too in this area due to this, creating a small 'diffuser' here, increasing downforce.

The smaller cascade also is new, now featuring 2 wings, although with lower AoA, also turning air a little bit to the outside.

Further down the wing the outer piece of the end plate is gone as well as on the outer edge the wing being split up in two.

The footplate now features a bend downwards which continues in a strake, similar to the Wiliams front wing, reduces sensitivity in this area.

The car now got barge boards under the nose, bending towards the center this pushes air away to the sides, increasing efficiency as well as downforce.

The car features a new barge board package, with a different floor lip, all increasing floor efficiency. This area isnt fully done yet and I am not very happy with it currently, lots of changes coming here.

The sidepod intake has changed too, now featuring a gurney tab at its entry, this sheds off the boundary layer, in turn reducing duct drag and improving cooling.

Also there is a small winglet in the area that is used a lot in recent years, this piece helps the air to stay attached over the sidepod in this critical area.

There also is new rear bodywork, with a small pair of grills to improve cooling.

The fin was changed too, now having an fully vertical end. This gives a more constant flow under yaw, this reduces sensitivity under yaw.

The front of the diffuser was changed, instead of a smooth flow over the diffuser now there is a hard edge, with the same shape as the diffuser itself. This, together with the fins in this area create a high pressure zone and also high pressure over the rest of the diffuser, increasing downforce.

The central gurney now is full height increasing downforce, together with that there is the addition of multiple strakes.

Also the car itself ran much higher AoA on its wings, increasing downforce, which I believe the car is lacking.

On the performance side the car is unreliable and currently in the Adalaide test seems a good 2 seconds off the pace, it is going to be a tough season.

wesley123
wesley123

Oh yes, forgot this;

Would adjusting the brake balance from side to side be possible? Got the idea after Lewis and Jenson ran with different brakes on the left and right side. It would sure help braking into turns allowing drivers to brake a little bit later.

MIKEY_!

Like brake steer... sounds plausible, good thinking.

wesley123
wesley123

Update for China here. Had changed a lot, new floor, front wing, barge boards, rear wing and a new exhaust solution

The exhaust was more similar to the McLaren solution anthough much further forward, this is less efficient but a better solution than the one I had originally.

This was only tested in the friday practice sessions.

The front wing was changed too, it got a new cascade, new end plate, a new footplate and further detail changes all around.

The foot plate generates another vortex, more copying the williams solution.

The end plate was changed too, the end plate of the main wing now is full length and has more area to work on turning more air around the front wheel.

The cascade relies less on getting air around the front wheel but more on generating downforce

There also is a new winglet, similar to what Red Bull has morphed into the end plate, increasing efficiency.

There also is another strake on the udnerside of the wing, creating more downforce and turning more air around the tire.

The barge board under the nose was made shorter, now adding another element to it, grabbing more air, in turn increasing efficiency under the nose.

The podvane changed too, now sporting a similar solution to what Sauber has. This helps the air stay attached to the sidepod. On the floor part there is a new extension, although with a small slit, bleeding air to the outside. This increases the seal of the floor, increasing floor downforce.

Also there is a brand new rear wing based on an older solution. This wing generates more downforce and is much less sensitive than the old one. The beam wing had a much shorter center section and on the outside edges was really short chord, this reduces the vortices in this region.