Wesley123's F1 Model

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Artur Craft

Re: Wesley123's F1 Model

Wow, AMAZING!!! =D>

Do you have downforce/drag figures for it, Wesley?

wesley123

Update for Turkey:

Second race with the coandra exhaust. Seems to pay off, Pole in the first race with the exhaust, and the first race win in the second race.

Also a new front wing, different wheel hubs and a new floor together with a new rear wing.
Artur Craft wrote:Wow, AMAZING!!! =D>

Do you have downforce/drag figures for it, Wesley?
Thanks!

Nah, dont do any CFD so dont got any figures
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

N12ck

Great work Wesley as always, :D
Budding F1 Engineer

wesley123

Thanks!

N12ck

wesley123 wrote:Thanks!
I would love to see cfd on this thing,
Budding F1 Engineer

MIKEY_!

So would I but it wouldn't work since there aren't enough polygons for the air flow to be smooth. Hence there would be all kinds of flow separation issues ruining the results. :cry:

N12ck

MIKEY_! wrote:So would I but it wouldn't work since there aren't enough polygons for the air flow to be smooth. Hence there would be all kinds of flow separation issues ruining the results. :cry:
yeah the issue is fasitisation (if that's how I spell it) to run on CFD, you would need aerofoils to have a smooth curve, rather than a squared off curve. The modelling is excellent, and this is not your fault as it is the way you have to build your model, however to look for realstic results when meshing you ideally want the smallest mesh possible, and with such fasitisation it means the mesh would be larger than desired, leading to unwanted results. But this isnt your fault, as it is an excellent model!
Budding F1 Engineer

wesley123

Haven't posted here in a while.

Anyway, lots of updates had gone onto the car in the time between.

Different front wings, rear wings, floors and all new bodywork.

Here is the car in Silverstone spec;

Sidepods are as tight as they can get. With these new sidepods the exhaust was brought forward and now blows in a bend. This is compared to the previous solution rather ineffective as not only is it more remote, also the bend in the tunnel will cause the exhaust to lose energy.

AlpineF1

wow! thats really good wesley =D>
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

wesley123

Thanks!

wesley123

Since FSketch is pretty much dead I might as well share the latest version of my car(probably wont update it anymore)

The latest version of the car included a new exhaust solution, making full effect of the coanda exhausts. The cooling holes are a bit different, they now exit in between the rear wing and under the beam wing, the trailing edge of the sidepod has been lowered as much as possible to guide clean air to the beam wing.

I also took a lot of time in internal aerodynamics. Where before the bodywork as a bit rough I now took a lot of time to get the internal airflow right, and I beleive I did quite a decent job here.

The front wing also is much more developed with a different outer section and footplate. The latest version of the front wing would include a different additional winglet and a once again fully closed footplate. I pretty much reached the end of the front wing development. I didnt knew anything more to do apart from small tweaks.

A lot of time was taken in the details, the strakes were tweaked quite often and in latest spec featured the rounded connection to the mainplane, this would make an more effective surface around the edges where both meet.

I also took my time in floor development. The strakes had rounded edges and the floor had small differences in kick up over the width over the floor. The latest spec(as shown here) featured a double slotted gurney, and a sidewall like the Renault. This would increase the expansion ratio inside the diffuser drasticly.

Also the barge board area had large developments. I had a lot of different podvanes ready over the course of the season. Also a lot of different floor leading edges were tried/built. But it stayed largely the same. The rest of this area had a few tweaks, the lip had an addition and also the bargeboard itself was split up in 2 surfaces.

In latest spec the podvane would bend over the sidepod, which would help keep the flow attached over the sidepod and make an more effective exhaust system.

I also took a lot of time in the design of the brake ducts and winglets in the area. As well as had an in season update of the wheels, sporting rings(although not shown here) to improve cooling and aerodynamics.

I still had a few tweaks left in the box which I could apply to the car, but never got to the point of doing so.

In the end I am quite happy of the car I showed first and how I got to improve it to what it was now. At first I wasnt happy at all with the car, now I am really happy with the changes I came up with. The car got much better front and rear wings and the whole car was improved.

What I will design after this, I dont know. I might do my own take on a Porsche 962, or an LMP. The latter seems more fun, but I cannot get a design right for myself, there always changes something in the way I would like to do it, so I will probably build my own 962(much like Kremer for example did). The 962, although it was before my time, always was a lot of inspiration for me, and one of my favorite cars ever.

CottrellGP

Not bad.
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

MaddMike

Very nice work!

wesley123

Okay another update, since I was bored lol.

The front wing was modified. The footplate is different and much smoother now, with a williams like strake in the center.
The cascade was modified too, it now features more regular end plates instead of the previous long ones.
On the outer edge the cascade is shorter chord, reducing downforce and drag in this area and sending a bit cleaner flow further down.
The end plates were changed too, the rear one feauturing a small fin.

And here without the cascade mounted; the front wing features additional slots. On the outer edges it is now a 6 plane wing, much like the ferrari. This will reduce pitch sensitivity in this area.

The podvane was changed, the bend over the sidepod is slightly altered and the extension on the floorside was removed. The floor lip was made longer in this area. As well as an alternate piece at the start of the lip, much like the Lotus.

The diffuser features a center section much like the Ferrari and Mercedes. This creates a really tiny Double Diffuser.

The end plate slits were changed. The first ones bend downward on it's rear tips, creating a combination between the McLaren slits from earlier this season and the ferrari slits.

Also the wing profile of the flap was changed, with the DRS flap open this would create a more aero-neutral design, cutting a little more drag.

wesley123

So a new car for the 2013 season.

The car got updated front and rear wings and bodywork all around. The tub and nose have stayed the same. I have also made brand new sidepods(which are more realisticly sized) and a new engine cover.

Also the car now got pull-rod front suspension. Also the rear suspension is a lot cleaner, the drive shaft is covered in the suspension arm and the rear brake duct is a lot cleaner now. This all will clean up the rear section a lot.

The sidepods have changed a lot. Not only are they larger, they also are much smoother. Now they feature the coanda exhaust from the start.
A choice in the design of these sidepods was to get the rear end as tight as possible, reduce lift over the sidepods and still get enough downwash for the coanda to work.

The top surface is mostly flat and only bends downwards much later than on previous years sidepods, this overall reduces the lift over the top of the sidepod. A small outer area blends down smoother to form the shape of the coanda exhausts and create downwash. The surface ehre also bends inwards to get the air in between the tire and the rear bodywork.

On the front of the sidepod the radiator intake was bought rearwards, this in turn creates more area between the sidepod and podvanes and will get more air around the sidepod.

The sidepod doesnt have the drastic undercut anymore like previous year, it now is much fatter at the start and then forms a really tight coke bottle much like the Ferrari. this gives good possibility to feed the central section of the diffuser and increases rear downforce.

The rear wing wasnt changed much. The wing profile has altered a little bit and the shape itself is now more like current F1 cars. It makes use of the small 2cm close to the end plate and has 3 slot gap spacers overall.

The trailing edge of the flap now features triangle cutouts, my thought was that the shorter chord in the center of the cutouts will help prevent stall and energise the flow over the parts where the chord is a bit longer. Also the cutouts would help cut drag a little bit both with the flap closed as well as the flap open, at the cost of a little bit of downforce(flap area that is lost)

The front wing itself wasnt changed much, the flap is split up in it's inner wing tips and the split section goes further outwards

The cascade however has changed quite a lot. It is now a single large tri-plane cascade. And it also is straight over most of the section.

The outer end plate now focusses less on turning air around the tire and now has a solution similar to the Red Bull, Ferrari, Williams and other teams that have a similar connection to the main plane.

Also the supports are much larger and in itself will create more downforce.