Wesley123's F1 Model

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CottrellGP

Re: Wesley123's F1 Model

Very nice, whats with the high air outlet thing above the gearbox?
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

wesley123

Thanks!

Last year the exit was much wider, together with that it either had a large cooling hole at the rear end of the car(The first spec car, the smaller sidepod and the last with Coanda) or cooling gills(which sometimes were partially covered). I mainly wanted to remove the cooling at the rear end of the sidepod. With that the cooling exit would have either been much, much wider or much taller, I decided to make a tall exit as cooling rather than a wide one. And with that the lift over the airbox(the airbox is wider than a convential one, even wider than last year) was also reduced. Also the exit itself comes to a 'point' much more than a wide one, which would reduce a bit of drag.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Aussie

Whats the idea with the very wide connection between nose cone and wing??

wesley123

You mean the long pillars? Those speed up flow in between the pillars, which reduces pressure under the nose, and thus increases the downforce. I decided to create larger ones(they got a slot in the leading edge to get air in between) because

1. I have been thinking around something on the leading edge of the nose for years
2. Large pillars give a good increase in downforce for little drag
3. They can aid the area further backwards.

The recent adaptions on the ferrari and williams led me to believe that these are very efficient pieces so I decided to add these to the car, with a slot to get more air in between.

wesley123

Watch the images of this update on Google Drive

And a new update, click the link above to view the images, I decided to upload those to my Google drive account and set it so everyone can view them, so no Google Account needed! Also this would reduce the bandwith as the images arent in the post anymore.

The front wing was changed a lot.

On the main plane, the strake that connected the main plane with the raised outer section is gone, instead it is now a smooth profile. Also the main plane is raised a lot more inwards, although with a slight upward curve. This would improve airflow under the wing.

The slot in the outer edge of the main plane now blends into the footplate nicely, this bleeds airflow under the foorplate and would give just a little bit extra.

There also is another slot in the outer wing edge. Creating a 7 plane wing in this area, with this the last slot was bought further back, this would create better fow in this last critical area.

The wing now also has lotus style 2 flaps, instead of the previous single, large flap. This allows for a bit more adjustability as well as a less sensitive wing. The inner wing tips were also changed, with the lower flap split in two.

The end plate was modified too, it now has a longer connection to the footplate and a small tab on it's trailing edge, preventing flow mixing from inside and outside the end plate on the wing's trailing edge.
The cascade now also got a vertical element, guiding airflow outboard.

The car also got a nose panel, this would create smoother flow over the tub and around the tub, the latter was made possible by the suspension elements not interfeiring in this area.

The podvane was modified, it is now a much smaller one, instead of a split element it is now a single element. Overall the podvane is shorter and interferes less with the airflow in between the podvane and sidepod. The floor in this area was altered slightly too.

the rear wing was changed too, it now features a slot in the outer 20mm tips, effectively creating a 3 plane wing in this area. Also the end plate was changed, instead of the flat, 2D end plate it is now a bit fatter, this would create a more realistic end plate, as well as changes to the trailing edge of the end plate. There also is a slot in the end plate pioneered by Williams.

CottrellGP

Nice!
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

wesley123

Thanks!

Taqtix27

wow this is amazing... where or what do you race the car you built on? and do modifcations to the car make a difference in the game?? sorry im new :(
When in doubt, flat out! Mercedes AMG Petronas fan.

wesley123

Thanks.

And I dont, it is just a model, it isnt in game or anything

wesley123

It doesn't have an engine since it's a model :P but well, it's just based on a f1 car so it has been modeled to fit the V8