Wesley123's F1 Model

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
asdf10101
asdf10101

Re: Wesley123's F1 Model

actually.. its not comparison between 2008 and 2009 'car'.. its only focusing on the wing.. my bad for stating its name 2008 car and 2009 car.. its like this.. for example..

if.. 2008 is same as before but for 2009 its the changes but it keep the same wing as 2008.. i wanted to know what will happen if only the wing were change.. i can make same car as 2008 but it would take longer time to meshing it.. and if i made 2008 same as the the real car with all the winglet and so on.. the variable would not be the wings now? i have no clue :wtf:

bajan-f1
bajan-f1

It would be the wings, but all the various winglets and that aswell, but I get your point.

wesley123
wesley123

okay, been busy a lil bit(also with other models) and i've built a new floor/TDD.

The diffuser is larger then McLarens and feauture 2 ultra high decks and after that a normal deck.
On the second deck there is an suare out of it, that is for the crashbox, it will come out of the second and third deck leaving an completely clean first to second deck.

I probably will go and built behind the front deck in the crashbox an cooling hole with an full width gurney on it.

Also i plan smaller sidepods and smaller airbox with an shark fin.

Also i plan new rear wing end plates, and it still needs an beam wing.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

wesley123
wesley123

been a long time ago but the sidepods are finished, still need some parts fixed.

Im now busy with a new floor/diffuser, i saw the group c cars and the march f1 cars and saw they all had circular diffuser shapes, so im going to use that. The regular diffuser will be one small tunnel, but i need to know the maximum width of the second deck, as i have an idea of creating an deck over the regular diffuser.

wesley123
wesley123

ok, long time ago lol, didnt want to model for a while, but i have been working hard, pic of the new floor with huge decks, new smaller sidepods, and an new engine cover with the f-duct, also a new crashbox matching it. need a new tub now and also a new rear wing lol.

Also, if you want to see more detail pics for example, or have suggestions, dont hassitate!

hecti
hecti

I think your body work is way too tight at the back, too much bottle neck. I dont think a large fuel tank an engine and transmission fit back there.

other than that, it looks cool, i'd extend the splitter further up where your side pod starts tho.

wesley123
wesley123

i thought it was too tight too lol, im gonna add my tub soon to the car and make a splitter for it. The tub is alot of work as the airbox and sidepods dont fit properly into it, but i will manage to do it.

EDIT: do you guys think it needs to be alot more buffed up?

autogyro
autogyro

wesley123 wrote:i thought it was too tight too lol, im gonna add my tub soon to the car and make a splitter for it. The tub is alot of work as the airbox and sidepods dont fit properly into it, but i will manage to do it.

EDIT: do you guys think it needs to be alot more buffed up?
Just project using my ESERU and treat the complete geartrain and clutch size as a square of 21 cm, it will all go in easily then.
Dont forget the Kers battery/flywheel and control pack though.

wesley123
wesley123

problem is that zmodeler dont use any measuring metrics, it is all an gamble how big anything is, i have to do everything on the guess and hope it could fit. I buffed the rear a bit up, the section between the two crashbox humps have been heightened too.

Also, i will see if it is theoreticly possible, and if it is I am probably gonna make place for KERS to fit in there.

Also, something i forgot to tell, but the new engine cover is gonna fit in the F-Duct, but i need a way to activate it, i thought of doing it by head, so an hole that can be reached for example when the drivers head is to the side.

Also(wow, the third time i start with that word) back around the headrest i added an small duct for oil cooling etc. nstead of an vertical duct i went more to one that is horizontal to allow more area to split the air up.

with the new diffuser i also spent alot of time managing airflow from the wheel, all sorts of things are around the floor there. the flip up in front of it is actually made of four parts, sliding under each other. By this i hope that the diffuser is less nfluenced by the wheels air.

marcush.
marcush.

i really like the idea of the radiator intake ...
it is really a step from what we see currently in F1 an also takes cues from
Indycar design ..

Still I ask myself if the steeply falling sidepods we see everywhere are really
the optimum.. on their own they will definitively produce lift ...is there a possibility to raise the ducting behind the coolers completely from the floor under current rules?

wesley123
wesley123

i believe that is possible, it would give higher sidepods, but then you sit with other problems like exhaust exits etc. and the thing i wanted to achieve with it is gone too.

My idea with these downsloping tight sidepods was to get as much air under the beam wing and over the Third diffuser deck, creating as much downforce. By this i can lay the beam wing lower to make it an extension of the third deck.

marcush.
marcush.

wesley123 wrote:i believe that is possible, it would give higher sidepods, but then you sit with other problems like exhaust exits etc. and the thing i wanted to achieve with it is gone too.

My idea with these downsloping tight sidepods was to get as much air under the beam wing and over the Third diffuser deck, creating as much downforce. By this i can lay the beam wing lower to make it an extension of the third deck.

I understand the aim you are following and I do see the advantages in terms of licked surface and the obviously very good flow to the diffusser and lower wing
very inspiring ..

wesley123
wesley123

ok, i'm busy now with the rear wing of the car. It will feature an full length slot like the mclaren, but also the standard duct in the wing in the center 15CM.

For the end plates i was thinking of doing vertical slits instead of horizontal, would that help?

wesley123
wesley123

ok a new big update.

The sidepods are amde alot fatter now, probably twice the size.
Also i made an splitter with ducts fro possible KERS on both sides.
Airbox was made fatter too and the F-Duct is also made bigger.

There is an complete new rear wing on it, the end plates are not on full height due to the downsloping rear wing edges to reduce the drag. In whole season i try to keep the center section as similair as possible due to the F-Duct, instead i reduce the drag by letting the second wing stop at an lower point and reduce wing angles there. Also i spent alot of time on the beam wing and the center 15 CM without disturbing the F-Ducts function. I connected the whole rear wing to the floor so i could optimise the beam wing etc. Also these parts will hopefully enhance the diffuser-wing sections(read the part on deep end plates on mulsannes corner) I might do similair on the 2011 car but with more of such parts. The car is built alot on CofG, so a low nose, low kers placement etc. will be used(at least for the 2011 legal car). I will probably go away from the downsloping sidepods and head for tight ones. Or i head for the same downsloping sidepods with alot fatter rear end so i could exit the exhaust there, then i have an idea to let coke bottle air head over the sidepod and by the use of 5cm high turning vanes i can do that.

marcush.
marcush.

awesome.... this is plain awesome

one minor point that struck me instantly :

the turning vane blade (the one wich Redbull uses as wing mount)..I got the impression the flow from the bargebord is hitting this at an awkward angle down at the bottom near the floor? wouldn´t it be neater to give it a bit more cambered wing profile there ,redirecting the flow around the sidepod gradually?