F1 in Schools Help - flameracing's project

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
ashf1mclaren

Re: F1 in schools design

Is it possible to manufacture out of a plastics like abs or acrilic then attach or can you make it in to a turning Vien/rear wing, if unsure of what turning vien is google has pics also look for a diagram of how it works but try a keep the angle of it not to steep
Yellow wakes me up in the morning. Yellow gets me on the bike every day. Yellow has taught me the true meaning of sacrifice. Yellow makes me suffer. Yellow is the reason I'm here.

Lance Armstrong quote

basizeland

Yeah you could get it rapid prototyped in those plastics which shouldn't cost to much and it is allowed here in australia

flameracing

these are all the plastics i can get machined
the highlited ones are the ones i will probably use

S hor t N ame Ful l N ame Ma jor A ppl ic a t ion
LDPE Low Density Polyethylene garbage bags, arti cial owers, packaging lm, shopping bag etc.
HDPE High Density Polyethylene household container, safety cap, industrial packaging lm etc.
CA Celluloze Acetate glassesframe, sign boards, transparent glass etc.
CPE Chlorinated Polyethylene frozen food packaging, cable insulation, conveying belt etc.
EVA Ethylene-vinyl Acetate buble shoe sole, shrinking lm, paper coating etc
EEA Ethylene-Ethylacrylate chemical pipes, surgical bags, surgical gloves etc.
EEAA (EMA) Ethylene-Methylacrylic Acid mucilage for glass/metal/plastic, safety glass etc.
PP Polypropylene batery box, auto parts, medical equipment, fuse box etc.
PA-6 Polyamide 6 bearing, gear wheel, screws, textile etc.
PA-66 Polyamide 66 gadgets for mechanical, auto, chemical, electrical parts etc.
POM polyoxymethylene lighter, zip, bearing, gear wheel etc.
GPPS General Purpose Polystyrene lampshape, optical epuipment, electrical appliance parts etc.
HIPS High Impact Polystyrene phone case, radio case, electrical appliance parts etc.
EPS Expendable Polystyrene thermal box, protective packaging etc.
SAN Styrene-Acrylo-Nitrile lighter, Transparent glass, transparent tableware, optical lens etc.
ABS Acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene handle, TV case, electric-plated plastic products etc.MBS Methylmethacrylate-butadiene-styrene transparent pipe, equipment cover etc.
SB Styrene-butadiene paper coating, fabric coating, metal coating etc.
PMMA Polymethyl Methacrylate windshield, optical lens, sign board etc.
PC Polycarbonate mechnical parts, compact disc sound proof insulator etc.
PVC Polyvinyl Chloride window/door frame, arti cial leather, wallpaper etc.
PVFL (PVLF) Polyvinyl Formal Cosmetic sponge, bath sponge, Photo lm etc.
PVB Polyvinyl Butyral safety glass mezzanine, antitrust paint, paints, glue etc.
PF Phenol-Formaldehyde bakelite products, brake disc, gear wheel etc.
UF Urea-Formaldehyde lighting parts, phone parts, celotex board, button etc.
MF Melanine-Formaldehyde calculator exterior, calcuator board, adhesive etc.
PET Polyethylene Terephthalate video tape, chain, bearing, beverage bottle etc.
PBT Polybutylene Terephthalate mechanical parts, screws, exterior of electrical applicances etc.
EP Epoxy Resin adhesive, paints etc.
PTFE Fluoreod Plastics oil-free mechanical parts, piping wrap, non-stick pan etc.
PPS Polyphenylene Sul de bearing, bearing frame, electric socket etc.
PPO (MPPO) Polyphenylene Oxide petrochemical pipe, TV parts, electronic parts etc.
BR Butadiene Rubber tyres, shoe sole etc.SBS Styrene-Butadiene-styrene shoe sole, cable protector and insulator etc.
i like salty peanuts

Jersey Tom

Maybe you could make your car entirely out of salty peanuts.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

flameracing

lol but i want serious anwsers
i like salty peanuts

tok-tokkie

You want to use the fastest plastic. How do you believe the wheel material affects the speed of your car? With that correctly answered then choose the one that satisfies that best. The fundamental principle is F=ma. It looks trivial and simple but F & m can be expanded into many components & each of them needs consideration and optimisation.

flameracing

tok tokkie i understand on what you mean but im getting something from this thread so id rather you didnt make posts like this again

Thanks
i like salty peanuts

tok-tokkie

flameracing wrote:tok tokkie i understand on what you mean but im getting something from this thread so id rather you didnt make posts like this again

Thanks
I was wanting to make you consider the fundamentals involved but I expressed myself badly and offended you. I am sorry about that. Here are the things I think you should consider when deciding of the wheel material.

There are several conflicting requirements. You need to decide which is the best solution to them all.

Material
Firstly you don’t want the fastest plastic. You want the fastest material – which may not be plastic.

Rolling Resistance
You want the lowest rolling resistance. This is a function of both the shape of the wheel and the material of the wheel. Larger wheel tends to roll easiest over the surface. Harder wheel tends to roll easier if the surface is smooth. I understand there are joints in the track which is a problem in this regard.

Rotational Friction
You want lowest rotational friction. Here I am talking about the wheel on the axle. Rolling bearings have been used on the winning cars it seems. (I actually think there may be a better alternative but that may conflict with the rules.)

I keep quoting F=ma because that is the acid test. For rotation the equivalent equation is:
T=Iα
T= torque to accelerate the wheel in rotation
I= moment of inertia =mr²=mass of wheel*(radius of wheel * radius of wheel)
. α = angular acceleration of the wheel

You want the wheel to accelerate as quickly as possible under the applied torque. To do that you definitely want the smallest radius (because that term is squared in the moment of inertia) and you want it as light as possible (smallest m).

To be as light as possible you should select the lowest density material available and use as little of it as possible. So the wheel needs to have a thin hub and thin rim. The minimum size of the wheel is set in the specifications. The problem is the lowest density material may not be stiff (hard) but for low rolling resistance you do want a stiff wheel so you need to select a low density but stiff material.

Here we have another conflict. Rolling resistance wants maximum allowed size but angular acceleration wants minimum size. You must decide.

Inertia
The wheels form part of the overall mass of the car so F=ma applies to the wheels also for the linear acceleration of the car. Here again for best acceleration you want to minimise the mass though there is a minimum weight for the whole car.

Air Resistance
Then there is the windage resistance - the aerodynamic drag on the wheel. There are two components to this. The air drag opposing rotation of the wheel and the form drag opposing the linear motion of the wheel through the air.

The air drag opposing rotation is the friction of the air against the rotating wheel. You want to reduce this as much as possible. Smoothing the wheel reduces this. Having close fitting bodywork reduces the quantity of air being accelerated by the wheel which reduces the windage loss. The slower the wheel turns the better so here you want the wheel to be as big as possible so that it turns as slow as possible for a given linear speed.

To minimise the form drag you want the wheels as small as possible. Narrow and minimum diameter. Minimum diameter means the wheel will spin faster for a given linear speed so that then increases the windage frictional drag.

The wheels are not allowed to be enclosed. Enclosure would be the best way of minimising the form drag. So you should do as much enclosure as you are allowed. None on the outside as the whole wheel has to be visible. None when viewed from above – another stipulation in the regulations. For the rest enclose it as much as possible.

flameracing

thanks that will help me design a good wheel.
Im thinking abs plastic with graphite.
Thanks tok
i like salty peanuts

ashf1mclaren

what drag coefficient are f1 in schools cars achieving?

Hi. I just wonder what drag coefficient has the F1 in schools car that you maybe are designing or have designed :?: :?: :D
Yellow wakes me up in the morning. Yellow gets me on the bike every day. Yellow has taught me the true meaning of sacrifice. Yellow makes me suffer. Yellow is the reason I'm here.

Lance Armstrong quote

Ciro Pabón

Thanks for your answers, basizeland, mep, tok-tokkie.

Oh, and bump again. ;)

Can anyone help ashf1mclaren with the drag coefficients? I think you could make a rough estimate, given the time and distance of the race, the weight of the car and the frontal area, ashf1mclaren. Can you give us those numbers? I know the time is around 1 meter, but I forgot how long is the track, how much the car weighs and what's the front area.
Ciro

ashf1mclaren

sorry ciro we cannot really get those figures as we are still designing the car but i was intrested in the numbers others had been achieving with there actual models thanks!:)

Lance Armstrong quote

flameracing

heres my car that complies with the 2010 rules

Please help
i like salty peanuts

Callum

^^

are the holes for aero or weight purposes?

flameracing

aerodynamics
i like salty peanuts