F1 in Schools Help - flameracing's project

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
godsire

Re: F1 in schools design

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7546

link to the thread about ,,golf ball gimples".

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/22/myth ... #continued

and here is a video from mythbusters about this kind of surface. It really works!

mep

Hold on a second.
Golf balls have those dimples and they help there but you can't simply make them on a car and expect a similar effect. Let’s have a short and easy look at these things:

The golf ball has to be round but that’s a rather poor shape for aerodynamics because the laminar flow can't stay attached to the ball. Turbulent flow can somehow follow the surface better and therefore reduces the drag caused by the shape. On the other hand it increases the drag caused by surface friction but this drag is much smaller than the drag you have by a bad shape.

You design a car, not a round ball so first of all you have to find the best shape.
Best is when the flow around it is laminar and stays attached to the surface all the time.

On some areas of the car the flow will detach anyways there you can put a small vortex generator. The tires could be such a area. Even this vortex generator doesn’t need to be small wholes, rather something like a gurney flap. You can see similar things on top of a Frisbee disk (the small rings).

flameracing

thanks mep
i like salty peanuts

flameracing

Woudnt the gurney produce lift
i like salty peanuts

flameracing

Re: F1 in Schools Help - flameracing's project

If i were to design a diffuser do you think it would help with the overall speen of the car. I was thinking something like this:

mep

To be honest I have no idea what you are planning to do there.

I strongly recommend you to get firm with the basic theories how things work first before you start to build something. Then when you understand the basic rules and how things work on other machines you can try to apply those things to your car too. When you do so and post something here in the forum please explain what kind of theory you have how this could improve your car. At the moment it looks more like you are searching a needle in the haystack and you don’t even take the time to make a proper reply on this threat.

flameracing

i understand what you mean by that and i will try to make a better effort in my replying. What i meant by the diffuser was...
If i have it behind the co2 cylinder when it bursts it would change the flow of of the gas therefore producing a tad more thrust. In the design above ive designed the peice behind the c02 cylinder so it centralises the flow of air rather than letting it go as it does usually. Im not sure if it will work but am relucktent to try it in the virtual wind tunnel when i get back to school.

Abot the dimples thankyou for your response because in the vwt it was 10 percent better with out the dimples.

Thanks
i like salty peanuts

jcorb21

THIS CAR IS COOOOOOL!!! could i have a look further, if u dont mind could i have the catia file