New member - Bought an RA107

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Racewatcher

Re: New member - Bought an RA107

F1snake:

I've been following this thread since it started, and I am very excited to see how it turns out. Keep up with the posting, and add as many pics as you can.

Cheers
Racewatcher

F1snake

Thanks for all the nice comments and encouragements.

Well I've taken a few photos and done some mesuring in response to questions posted on this thread.

The actual space I have between the monocoque and the gear box is 47 cm long and 66 cm wide.

The input shaft sits 7 cm above the floor of the gear box casing. that is 17 cm of the garage floor. I haven't got the rear under tray fitted at the moment, so I can't give you the mesure between the tray and the input shaft. I wouldn't get too hung up in the shafts position, as we may not use that actual transmission. We might have to remove it and build our own within the casing.

Here's a few of the photos requested of engine mounting bolts and gear box input shaft:

Also just thought it would be interesting to see how the F1 clutch with its 5 tiny plates compares size wise to a normal road car clutch and a triple plate carbon clutch we use in the GT cars

And how about a view from inside the 150Ltr fuel cell:

ESPImperium

I was thinking about your steering column issue, and thought that Formtech may be the company to contact as they are the company that was built form the Ashes of Super Aguri and they actually ran the Honda RA107 in the first few races of the 2008 season, so they will have a good idea of what you need.

http://www.formtech-composites.co.uk/

As for engines, i was thinking about a Mechachrome GP2 engine if that is posible, may cost a little, but could be a decent enough fit since they are V8s.

Formula None

Nice pics, thanks for sharing, Snake.

7cm floor to gearbox input shaft centerline, huh? Well, we all knew the cranks and clutch were tiny on these things, but even the H1V8 looks a little tall in that regard:

*See dims on page 1.

bettonracing

Formula None wrote:Nice pics, thanks for sharing, Snake.

7cm floor to gearbox input shaft centerline, huh? Well, we all knew the cranks and clutch were tiny on these things, but even the H1V8 looks a little tall in that regard:
The Hartley H2 shows 11.6cm crank centerline to lowest part of oil pan so I'm sure Hartley could make some modifications to the H1V8 to make it shorter - esp considering ~28mm of that 164mm is pulley oil pump pulley diameter.

Also, one could design a new gearbox front cover (dual-duty as "trans adapter" or "mid-plate"), which accomodates a belt drive from engine crank to transmission input. This could help facilitate final drive ratio changes without touching the internals of the Honda gearbox... Yes it would require seperating the rear end of the car to change gears but still more feasible for this type of project than producing alternate final drives to fit the Honda 'box.

The midplate could also double as the mounting point for the "stressed member" frame around the engine. It would also contribute to "restoring" the wheelbase to factory specs...

Regards,

Kurt

marcush.

formtech should be a good adress...how could I miss that one...

The H1 should be feasible I´d think ...

ESPImperium

What about a Formula Nippon engine, maybes the Honda HF386E may be something like the RA807E engine somehow.

marcush.

Honda HR09E
Last edited by marcush. on 14 Jan 2011, 00:06, edited 2 times in total.

netoperek

damn...I envy You F1Snake ;) Both F1 Cars, and girlfriends passionate about cars and racing are sooo rare jewels!

Im probably nowhere near the level of mechanical knowledge of most guys around here, but i can try to help with anything that's in anyway connected to "automatic control and robotics" on my diploma ;) Im tiny bit into embedded stuff too if You needed some custom electronic made or something ;)
After all, creating this thread, made us all involved and irreversively bonded to Your RA107-5 ;) (BTW have You given it any name yet? or should we make a poll :mrgreen: )

marcush.

honda HR10E

Honda RA807E

manchild

Fancy a new 3.5l V12, one spare with matching gearboxes and ECU?

http://www.carclassic.com/racetype.asp? ... F+Indy+Car
Larousse/Lamborghini Spares
New V12 F1 Lamborghini Engine CX04
Larousse/Lamborghini Spares

New V12 F1 Lamborghini Engine
Price: 51 892 USD (40 000 EUR)
Year: 1993 Location: Europe
Mileage: 0 km (0 ml)

Brand new engine, bought directly from factory in September 2002 and never used. The dyno sheet shows an impressive 760 BHP at 14,000 rpm, 2 new engines immediately available. Each engine can be purchased for EUR 40,000. The whole lot of the 2 engines can be bought for 75,000 EUR. This is your last chance to be able to buy a new Lamborghini 3.5 l engine, as all the other ones have been sold already and used.
Note: Two original matching gearboxes, fully serviced, can be purchased for an additional 12,000 EUR each (further information available upon request). FH Electronics can develop a new injection system, adapted to your requirements, for 15,000 EUR including components. Maintenance is fully ensured by 2 top teams, 1 in France and 1 in Italy.
This item is available immediately. The price includes all European Union taxes and commissions.

F1snake

Thank you all yet again for great contributions and help in the form of various links and suggestions, please keep them comming. It's much apreciated and also very educational for me. I am not from an engineering background, so cars and racing is something I have immersed myself in only the last ten years or so. My other half, Nadine, on the other hand, has a much deeper understanding of all things racing & engineering and is certainly the Chief Tech round here.....

Anyways, I'll keep this thread updated with developments and pics as we get the project underway. And when we're done, I really hope that lots of F1Tecnical forum members will be able to join us for the very first test session, where ever that might take place.

What a fantastic forum this is! Thank you, guys.

RAF
RAF

I've got a Citroen Saxo that I'm planning to scrap sometime later this year. You can have the 1.1L engine out of that for free if you like. ;) :lol: It has a massive 59bhp!!! Should fit in there with enough space left for golf clubs!

bosanac1

:shock: wow speechless

I wish you best of luck in your project and cant wait for updates.

Have you contacted Craig Scarborough? (http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/)
He must have connections in F1 that might help you out.

mep

F1snake wrote:The input shaft sits 7 cm above the floor of the gear box casing. that is 17 cm of the garage floor. I haven't got the rear under tray fitted at the moment, so I can't give you the mesure between the tray and the input shaft. I wouldn't get too hung up in the shafts position, as we may not use that actual transmission. We might have to remove it and build our own within the casing.
Forget about that plan. The only thing you can change are some gears but how you want to rise a complete shaft in a given gearbox?
The gearbox is tight packed and carefully designed. The shafts are supported by bearings in the housing. When you want to rise a shaft you need new borings and therefore a new housing especially when its made from carbon fibre but that doesn’t matter. Whenever you want to change something significant you will end up with a complete new gearbox. It’s better you mount a gear set between engine and transmission to get the shafts on the right height.

This H1 engine comes close to the given dimensions maybe there are some things you can change on it to get it into your car. I think about dry sump lubrication to get it lower.
On the drawing is some auxiliary device visible and I think a starter. Maybe you can move that to the other side where you have your gearset to lower the shaft height. By this you might find some of the missing mm’s.
Seems like its worth to contact the manufacturer of the engine. Maybe you get a custom build engine from them.