Ringo F1 design

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Ferrari_Ivan

Re: Ringo F1 design

Tozza Mazza wrote:
Ferrari_Ivan wrote:are there hidden innovative aerodynamic points?
Oh god...
why?
my English sucks?

Tozza Mazza

Ferrari_Ivan wrote:
Tozza Mazza wrote:
Ferrari_Ivan wrote:are there hidden innovative aerodynamic points?
Oh god...
why?
my English sucks?
Behold the ellipse, and the super secret red bull sidepod...

Ferrari_Ivan

ok! I asked this because when I think of design or an innovative idea, many details are not seen by others. I like the details. I love the details.

wesley123

It wasnt to tease you Ivan, read the Red Bull RB7 topic and it will all become clear
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Ferrari_Ivan

wesley123 wrote:It wasnt to tease you Ivan, read the Red Bull RB7 topic and it will all become clear
:D
I'm sorry. I did not understand very well. for me to write and read English is complicated. I'm not very good with this language. if you see some very big mistake tell me! thanks :lol:

ringo

MemroableC wrote:Ringo if you get a chance could you upload the car, as a fellow solidworks user i would love to see the technique used to model the car and maybe run some cfd on it for fun.
I'm finishing up. I have done some work on the floor this weekend.

The technique is pretty much lofts and solid modeling. All that is required is a bit of discipline and patience with the sketches. The relations are very importance, especially tangency relations.
As for the ellipse it's not really the secret. Let's see how redbull do first.

I'm a little apprehensive of handing out the model but i'll show what i do on here when it's done.
For Sure!!

ringo

bhallg2k wrote:I have the strangest feeling that someone around here is responsible for this.

Ahh :P :lol:
Well well. That is kinda taking it too far.

but hey...
:mrgreen: just cant get enough!

how about these wings though:
it's not by chance.
For Sure!!

MIKEY_!

??? :wtf: I can't see any wings on that tow truck :lol:

ringo

i have a question.
For the turning vanes, how far out can i put them?
The rulese say there should be no body work in the red area. I think there is an exception for mirrors.
The thing is, turning vanes aren't mirros, so can the foot plate for the turning vane be situated in the red area (blue lines represent turning vane foot plate) or should i stay outside of the red?
For Sure!!

jordangp

I'd stay completely out the red area if I were you

Tozza Mazza

ringo wrote:i have a question.
The rulese say there should be no body work in the red area. I think there is an exception for mirrors.
The thing is, turning vanes aren't mirros, so can the foot plate for the turning vane be situated in the red area (blue lines represent turning vane foot plate) or should i stay outside of the red?
IIRC the area for them starts at 450mm ahead of the cockpit entry template.

Pierce89

bhallg2k wrote:I have the strangest feeling that someone around here is responsible for this.

I take it you're referring to someone's trumpeting of the ellipse's benefits in spanwise loading leading to reduced vortex generation
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

machin

ringo wrote:i have a question.
I agree with JordanGP; keep out of the red zone... if you look at the real cars they generally position the leading edge of their radiator intakes right at the back of the zone which doesn't need to meet the minimum radius rule, that means they maximise the space available for turning vanes and flow conditioners infront of the sidepods...
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

ringo

Yes,

my sidepods are different. The lower lip extends to the red line, while the upper lip is back more. I steal some downforce this way with the lip extension airfoil shaped.

So i guess i'll keep the turning vane where i intended. You can see that curve right at the floors edge meeting the red line and running back to the chassis.
For Sure!!

ringo

gonna move on now to the gear box end of things and beam wing. Sorry for the snail pace.
For Sure!!