2017 Manor F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u

2017 Manor F1 Team - Mercedes

Team: Manor Racing MRT
Base: Banbury, Oxfordshire, UK
Team principal(s): Stephen Fitzpatrick, Thomas Mayer
Technical director(s): John Mcquilliam, Nicholis Tombazis, Pat Fry

Race drivers:

TBA
TBA

Test drivers : ????

Chassis: MR05
Engine: Mercedes V6 Turbo
2016 position: 11th (1 pt)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is to discuss the 2017 Manor Motorsport F1 TEAM
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

turbof1

Re: 2017 Manor F1 Team - Mercedes

Stickied
#AeroFrodo

Sebastian Kettle

That is a strong looking set of technical directors, I hope they can produce a strong midfield car. I also read via Motorsport.it that Giovanni Banzola has joined the team from Mclaren.

countersteer

"Tavo Hellmund, the man who helped resurrect the United States and Mexican Grands Prix, has emerged as the favourite to complete a takeover of the Manor Formula 1 team." - article

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hellm ... am-857033/

Fifty

Which version of the Merc V6 are they running? Do they still have the Williams rear suspension and gearbox etc?

I always hope the best for the underdog. I hope that with some extra money that they can at least build some parts that they get as design gifts from uncle Mercedes CAD drawings!!!

cbbcisace

Fifty wrote:Which version of the Merc V6 are they running? Do they still have the Williams rear suspension and gearbox etc?

I always hope the best for the underdog. I hope that with some extra money that they can at least build some parts that they get as design gifts from uncle Mercedes CAD drawings!!!
Under the terms of the contract they signed back in 2015, Manor will always get current year power trains.

Not sure on what gearbox they are using but there was talk they would use Merc ones like Force India do

Fifty

Was the '16 gearbox from Williams? Or just rear suspension?

I really hope they get their aero worked out! They have good outright speed, just slow in the corners.
It's just sad how they get lapped still so frequently. I'd like to see them at the very least finishing same lap as the leader

MrCelroy

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/giovanni-banzola-7a9b804

So i found Giovanni Banzola's Linkedin. So it is true! He has joined manor!
Welcome to the exciting and wonderful world of automobile racing. Enjoy!

Fifty

Wow! Your ex girlfriend stalking skills are strong!!!!

Lol!!!

Good heads up though! Let's hope for a better year!

cbbcisace

Fifty wrote:Was the '16 gearbox from Williams? Or just rear suspension?

I really hope they get their aero worked out! They have good outright speed, just slow in the corners.
It's just sad how they get lapped still so frequently. I'd like to see them at the very least finishing same lap as the leader
They had the same as Williams I believe for rear suspension and gearbox.

FrukostScones

are there rumors that Ron Dennis together with Investors will buy Manor in the near future?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Manoah2u

That would be interesting, and could potentially see Manor with Honda engines.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Fifty

I doubt Dennis would bring Honda anywhere. I think manor is going to go with whatever engine discount their driver brings.
Wehrlein brings $10m discounted merc engines
Gutierrez brings $10-14 m in telemex sponsors that will only pay for Ferrari engines... (funny thing is, if he isn't in a Ferrari related team, that money disappears)

WaikeCU

Manoah2u wrote:That would be interesting, and could potentially see Manor with Honda engines.
Doubt that...

But I guess what if Dennis and some investors are buying Manor. Imagine Wehrlein still being at Manor with the discounted Merc PU's. I could think of Mario Illien joining the team and maybe start the partnership Mercedes-Illmor again at Manor. Remember in the past? Those were the days!

This would be sweet. [-o<

Manoah2u

Well, the Mercedes engines that catapulted Mclaren back to the front after hideous peugeot engines and were after all nothing but 'Mercedes' branded Ilmor engines,
so yeah, it really was rather Mclaren - Ilmor.

But i don't see that happening - wasn't Illien actually working together with RedBull and Renault to 'fix' the problems there?
Perhaps that knowledge would come in handy, but i personally see Illien rather working with RB to build their own independent TAG engines.

Also, i can't see how a Dennis at Manor could in any way result in a ilmor-mercedes combo. Manor gets 'customer' mercedes engines, and they are still the best engines
of the field that really dont need anything. If any, Honda would be in biggest need of that.

Ron Dennis was the one bringing Honda into Mclaren again. IIRC, Whitmarsh apart from dealing with contractual mistakes with drivers, supposedly also endangered Honda's
return to F1, and that was reason for Ron to jump in and clean up. I thus could easily see Dennis bringing in Honda in Manor, not only because as of 2018 Honda is supposed to
start bringing customer engines. Manor is a safe bet, they're far away from Mclaren's potential. And with Ron Dennis at the helm @ Manor, and still in partial ownership of Mclaren,
things are easily manageable and in their own benefit. Imagine all of Honda knowledge under a 'single' roof.......

As for the engine discount - why buy discounted Mercedes engines and be oblidged to house a lame driver and be the 'big teams' lap dog, when you have free Honda engines at the Mclaren Mothership, and get to make a deal with Honda for buying Honda engines that cost less then a discounted Mercedes engine, and then get all the intel and information and feedback from Manor and be a driving laborotory and testing facility for the mothership, AND decide your own drivers, perhaps even a paydriver if you want to, but probably house Honda's test driver.

If I was Dennis, and i'd 'get' Manor into my portfolio, i'd have no doubt of immediately putting Honda engines in there. not a single doubt.