2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Quantum

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Scuderia1967 wrote:As predicted, Castrol is just a supplier, its logo isn't even in the car (at least I haven't noticed it). Sensodyne is gone, no wonder the marketing guy got fired
It all stems from the overvaluation McLaren had on their marketing value to sponsors. They could get more, but the Dennis obstinacy to lower the value meant the cars ran almost devoid of sponsors, costing more than it gained.
In commercial terms, Dennis refused to budge from his rate card demands to sponsors and this resulted in several of the company’s long-term backers departing. Hugo Boss, Diageo and Exxon Mobil have all gone elsewhere because they don’t believe that a McLaren sponsorship is worth what Dennis believes it is worth.
https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016/11 ... mclaren-2/

A good piece if you have the time to read all of it.

As for the livery, a missed opportunity.
"Interplay of triads"

a1b2i3r45

It's customary that all teams say during launch that come Australia cars will be completely different. But what they mean is that it will be different in terms of understanding, set-up, handling etc of the car. Visually they tend not to change much during testing. So fingers pretty much uncrossed. A season battling with FI, Williams and Renault.

torpor
torpor

Last year's designs may have been a little colorless but always of high quality and coherent.
But this one is very clumsy. If you plan to do something like a design revolution you shouldn't copy the ten years old design of a poor Russian backbencher team.
Ron will rage – rightly!

the EDGE
the EDGE

the EDGE wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
the EDGE wrote:
Apparently he said to who? there's nothing about it on his twitter feed
I heard is some comment reply he said...i am blocked from his account because i told him normal people can't drink milk and tea like British do... :D
You mean like normal people can't make a decent cook breakfast either, I mean just how do you normal people manage to murder something so delicious as the Great British banger, sorry...sausage? :lol:

f1rules
f1rules

someone in here posted this, i just made the fw and rw black

f1rules
f1rules

but yeah everyone always says its the launch spec, so that really cant be used as an excuse

dr_cooke
dr_cooke

f1rules wrote:someone in here posted this, i just made the fw and rw black
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/248 ... tled-4.jpg
So much better. I'd like to see that with orange FW and white RW

GoranF1
GoranF1

ESPN

Indications are not so positive, however. Behind the scenes there are rumours that the newest version of the Honda power unit remains underpowered when compared with its rivals, and casting an inexpert eye over the MCL32 on launch the car looks to be significantly more substantial -- heftier, even -- than the others we've seen so far. If the car is as heavy as it looks, 2017 could prove to be another annus horribilis for the team.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Italiano
Italiano

Everyone was so bent over the idea of orange. All that was talked about in Mclaren threads wah MUH ORANGE, MUH TRADITION.

And the Mclaren, as ever, does things in the most useless way possible.

Hillarious(ly bad).
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

Vasconia

I would paint the FW in black and orange, but it looks good anyway.

the EDGE
the EDGE

GoranF1 wrote:ESPN

Indications are not so positive, however. Behind the scenes there are rumours that the newest version of the Honda power unit remains underpowered when compared with its rivals, and casting an inexpert eye over the MCL32 on launch the car looks to be significantly more substantial -- heftier, even -- than the others we've seen so far. If the car is as heavy as it looks, 2017 could prove to be another annus horribilis for the team.
Heavy? You can tell a car is heavy by looking at it? wow, us Brits needs scales to do that, you normal people are amazing

GoranF1
GoranF1

the EDGE wrote:

Heavy? You can tell a car is heavy by looking at it? wow, us Brits needs scales to do that, you normal people are amazing
Espn
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

adrianjordan

the EDGE wrote:

Maybe ESPN stands for Extra-Sensory-Perception News...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

AMG.Tzan

From bad to worst for this livery...every year i am thinking...hmm last year's was better! Maybe their first one in 2015 was the best :P Can't understand how a team of this scale can't get a livery right!! They really need a big title sponsor so that they can paint the car around it!! Because at the end of the day it was always the title sponsors that made Mclaren's livery look great! At first it was Marlboro then it was West and then Vodafone!! But then there is Renault's example..last year's livery was spot on i think!!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Scuderia1967

Much, much better