2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Reminds me of when Mercedes shafted Mclaren when they took over Brawn and went their own way, Mclaren's still picking up the pieces.
In this case, it's Renault that took over Lotus [Renault, really, lol] and shafted RedBull. apart from not having an engine that gets the blood pumping.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Pany

Good point. I have same impression. In addition i tell you that renault tried to force redbul to quit and buy their knowhow. But did not work. So they were forced to restart from lotus package and it will take more time to win again.
Manoah2u wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 21:04
Reminds me of when Mercedes shafted Mclaren when they took over Brawn and went their own way, Mclaren's still picking up the pieces.
In this case, it's Renault that took over Lotus [Renault, really, lol] and shafted RedBull. apart from not having an engine that gets the blood pumping.

Manoah2u

I recall reading somewhere about that, yes, that Renault wanted to 'buy' RedBull. Or essentially, RedBull becoming Renault F1.
Mateshichz and Marko laughed their arses off, unfortunately, then Renault laughed theirs off in giving them a lemon of an engine and the current discomfort started in 2014.

Interestingly, none would have been so bad had Mercedes not have this engine that is millenia ahead of the rest.
If Mercedes' engine was less powerful from the beginning, i don't think there would have been this complaint or situation to begin with. Yes, reliability issues would have still existed,
but well, what else is new.

The fact is that Mercedes' lead is which created this situation to begin with. Honda is behind on Renault and Ferrari, and Renault and Ferrari are behind on Mercedes, and haven't managed to pick up enough to become rivaling to them. Only Ferrari has made a bit of more progress compared to Renault, but if we're looking at how Ferrari is doing after just a dozen GP's, then one should wonder whether it's the Ferrari engine that has made progress or that Mercedes initially struggled with their design and tires, where Ferrari managed to excell, and it never was the engine at all - and that by now, Mercedes has mastered their flaws AND makes upgrades and advancements whilst Ferrari is still stuck with what they started with.

In th end, Zak's mention about how the competition is scared about their design [not the engine] seems very plausible.

After all, i think it's telling that from all teams, Mclaren has a +95% accuracy on simulation windtunnel and real life consistancy. That gives them an advantage either way, and Mclaren is known - even after Newey's departure - to excell in nifty design stuff, even if it didn't have the effects we hoped for, ideas like the F-duct raise to mind, the U-sidepods, etc. etc.
I'll repeat that i believe Mclaren is holding out and waiting to implement some clever DD-like 'device' untill the engine woes are finally over.

Not surprising really if that does happen, because let's face it, with Mercedes shafting them years ago, they HAD to look for another solution. They've been trying out several innovative designs throughout the recent years. they will have learned a great deal of intel on all of that.

Meanwhile, funny enough, RedBull, supposedly the 'aero geniuses' thanks to Newey (whom did bring some nifty stuff though, thinking about blown floors and so), still are miles behind Mercedes and Ferrari.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

MotoManiac

What's happening between Sauber and Honda though? Is the deal gonna go through or what?
Recently heard that ten Sauber engineers visited Honda's headquarter in England and now there is news of Sauber-Renault deal.

Considering that Haas will retaining their drivers, Ferrari will be desperate to find seats for Leclerc and Giovinazzi, maybe renew their partnership with Sauber?

RS200E

MotoManiac wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 01:48
What's happening between Sauber and Honda though? Is the deal gonna go through or what?
Recently heard that ten Sauber engineers visited Honda's headquarter in England and now there is news of Sauber-Renault deal.

Considering that Haas will retaining their drivers, Ferrari will be desperate to find seats for Leclerc and Giovinazzi, maybe renew their partnership with Sauber?
There's no real news of any of this.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

Manoah2u

In all fairness, we don't know anything about either sauber-honda or mclaren-honda at this point. both could go on, both could stop.
would honda in the coming months show good progress, i think we can expect both to continue. or for that matter, perhaps toro rosso would sign.

Redragon

So Honda has spoken, they will continue in F1 and Mclaren can't use another engine because contract. So all of those with your speculations and fake news that deal with Mercedes was done and they are talking with Renault can go to sit on their little corner.

http://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/gp- ... b4590.html

Jef Patat

Although I would love the whining to end, Marca is not the most reliable source.

etusch

Matsushita joins Sauber for Hungary test
I think this means sauber will use honda pu next year

Sayeman

etusch wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 11:24
Matsushita joins Sauber for Hungary test
I think this means sauber will use honda pu next year
Definitely seems like it. But Matsushita drives in F2 for ART, which is run by Sauber's new team principal Frederic Vasseur. So, not 100% convinced
Never Give up.

JonoNic

I wonder what the role of Sauber will be? Will they be using the untested PU parts so that Mclaren can have a more stable next year? (hopefully in terms of reliability). Starting at the back of the grid with PU penalties shouldn't be an issue... Right?

Always find the gap then use it.

Thunder

There is a Sauber Team Thread for such Discussions....
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25531&start=225
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

HPD

Jef Patat wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 09:40
Although I would love the whining to end, Marca is not the most reliable source.
The news is not of "Marca", it's from https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/mot ... _split_22/
With official comments from Masashi Yamamoto.

Redragon

Jef Patat wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 09:40
Marca is not a reliable source on speculation but it is reliable reporting factual sport news.
Not only Marca has publish this news also As. Both of them are the main newspapers of sport news on Spain.

Thunder

I'm just going to quote myself from the Last Page:

Thunders wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 13:17

There is a Sauber Team Thread for such Discussions....
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25531&start=225
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum