2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FW17

Re: 2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

Maybe a return to low rake concept is high on the list.

marmer

Other than the odd sponsor and engine improvement very little has changed on the car they seem to have played it safe every year and have slowly slipped back

LookBackTime

Robert Kubica's Chances for a Williams Formula 1 Seat Are Rising

http://www.thedrive.com/start-finish/14 ... are-rising

Last edited by LookBackTime on 22 Sep 2017, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

LookBackTime

Williams: Kubica se la deve vedere con Di Resta e Massa

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/willi ... sa-956279/

Summary:

- There are four names on Paddy Lowe's notebook: Paul Di Resta, Felipe Massa, Pascal Wehrlein and Robert Kubica. According to recent rumors, it seems that the choice is shrinking to the first two candidates, both the pilots that the British team knows very well and are welcome by Daddy Stroll.

- Mercedes pushed for Wehrlein, but in addition to age-related problems (the team would want an over-25 to facilitate Martini's sponsor marketing) there does not seem to be a liking for Stroll.

- Different is the situation with Kubica. Williams would like to schedule a test with the Polish driver, but time is shrinking, and if there is no confirmation of a try in the coming days, Kubica's chances will be down.

- There has also been talk of an interest by Jolyon Palmer, who after Sainz's announcement is officially walking ahead of next season, but it is unclear whether the team may or may not be interested in his candidacy.

LookBackTime

Lawrence Stroll May Be Afraid of Kubica Partnering Lance

http://www.thedrive.com/start-finish/14 ... ring-lance

Webber2011

Please please please Williams,
Don't even consider Palmer.

The guy's got nothing to offer.

Stalker1

Do not worry! Although the journalists do not make the decisions, they have written that hiring Palmer, arguably one of the weakest drivers in the grid to partner unproven paydriver Stroll, is probably not going to happen.

FrukostScones

Stalker1 wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 09:22
Do not worry! Although the journalists do not make the decisions, they have written that hiring Palmer, arguably one of the weakest drivers in the grid to partner unproven paydriver Stroll, is probably not going to happen.
and what is this Helicopter doing at Williams then..?

I think it would be a masterful pairing. PAL/STR.
And then PAL beats STR over the season. Or STR beats PAL. :lol:

Anything but hiring Kubica now would show that Williams Family is not in control anymore. Or are are seriously impaired in their decision making.
Hiring DIR would be the worst, nearly as bad would be keeping MAS... PAL would be funny hopefully. But still.... :mrgreen:
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

zonk

FrukostScones wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 17:05
"Grand Prix Trust"

FrukostScones

did they use to cut it?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

zonk

It's Jonathan Palmer's helicopter. He was in Grove for Grand Prix Trust meeting. Some think he was there to buy seat for Jolyon

Sevach

Honestly i think Di Resta is a worst idea than Palmer(which is saying something because Palmer sucks), Di Resta was an underwhelming driver 5 years ago and he surely hasn't gotten any better.
The question should be between Kubica (a big gamble) and Massa (safe but unspetacular).

There are important questions surrounding Kubica,what is his physical condition? After this many years of inactivity what happened to his skills?
If he was coming to team up with say... Bottas, i would say Kubica is a valid gamble, for a Stroll-Kubica line up i don't know... the safe and boring choice becomes more attractive.

Stalker1

FrukostScones wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 17:05

I think it would be a masterful pairing. PAL/STR.
And then PAL beats STR over the season. Or STR beats PAL. :lol:

Anything but hiring Kubica now would show that Williams Family is not in control anymore. Or are are seriously impaired in their decision making.
Hiring DIR would be the worst, nearly as bad would be keeping MAS... PAL would be funny hopefully. But still.... :mrgreen:
I nearly got a heart attack when I started reading your posts! :D Although, Palmer would not be the worst available option, because Ericsson has also been associated with Williams!

There was an article in The Drive:
http://www.thedrive.com/start-finish/14 ... are-rising

I do not know how reliable they are, but they are suggesting that Kubica has been invited to the private test alongside Stroll at Interlagos circuit, which would be the place and time when the management would choose between Kubica and Massa. I agree with Sevach that Kubica is a gamble, who might perform on the level similar to Perez or the the best days of Grosjean or even higher or he could also do much worse.

I wonder, who would Lowe choose?

LookBackTime

Robert Kubica set for Williams test as team considers pole for 2018 seat

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/15950