Scuderia Ferrari 2012

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
raymondu999

Re: Scuderia Ferrari 2012

I agree - I think it was that the Ferrari had a knife-edge balance which demanded specific driving lines and styles. It was, when driven in that knife-edge window, a decent car.

It's a testament to the strength and depth of the current F1 field too. The worst F1 drivers are still supremely fast - Rob Smedley quoted recently half a second covering all the drivers. With everyone so good - you can just do your best, and hope for mistakes or unreliability from the opposition.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

diffuser

Re: Ferrari F2012

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Here's the latest from Piola on the last F2012 Updates
The sad part is that updates did nothing for the car after Silverstone.
Agreed. The poorly designed F2012 hit its development ceiling far earlier than its rivals. The small refinements only helped to maintain the gap, not close it. Which actually gives me hope for 2013. The team obviously knew they had basically reached the end of development without a redesign(too late in season) so the fact the small refinements helped to maintain the gap tells me they at least have a good understanding of the car. Which will help since the Regs don't change much for 2013.
I agreed with you on this point earlier. In retrospec I feel this statement is to vague. I beleive that a more accurate answer is (and this is scary for 2013 as Stefano has said for 2013 we start with the F2012) they don't know what wrong. Only that they couldn't figure it out.

Here
http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsport ... 96538.html

He said
"You correctly say that we did not have the fastest car, above all at the beginning of the season then maybe in the second half of the season we were not able to improve the car. For sure this is something we need to work harder in order to improve it, and we have of course got ideas because we know where we lack [performance] and of course we also know that unfortunately we're paying a big price in qualifying that hurts our performance in the race."
Last edited by diffuser on 29 Nov 2012, 15:21, edited 2 times in total.

mbvinnie

Wow, Alonso looks like he is hurting there. Not surprising really, but you can read it in his face and see how much it meant to him. After racing his heart out for 20 races it sucks to lose by such a small margin when he did all he could.

Incidentally - I have read a statement from Jenson praising/congratulating Seb, have Ferrari or Alonso made any statements about Seb/Red Bull after Brazil?
I have looked quickly, but not found anything (they did congratulate Red Bull after the constructors championship in Austin). Some articles have mentioned they did (Gracious Alonso etc, Alonso congratulated Seb etc), but they did not provide any quotes or statements, they just mention a hug between Seb & Fernando (and clearly there is the evidence of the Newey/Fernando hug).

Huntresa

That grin on neweys face, priceless xD

raymondu999

mbvinnie wrote:they just mention a hug between Seb & Fernando (and clearly there is the evidence of the Newey/Fernando hug).
They did hug though. 1:26 here:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYXj8u5eqwo[/youtube]
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

medeni73

Internet-spreading news:
Ross Brawn might come back!

corriere dello sport and BlogF1.it
http://www.blogf1.it/2012/11/29/per-bra ... n-ferrari/

Crucial_Xtreme

diffuser wrote:
I agreed with you on this point earlier. In retrospec I feel this statement is to vague. I beleive that a more accurate answer is (and this is scary for 2013 as Stefano has said for 2013 we start with the F2012) they don't know what wrong. Only that they couldn't figure it out.

Here
http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsport ... 96538.html

He said
"You correctly say that we did not have the fastest car, above all at the beginning of the season then maybe in the second half of the season we were not able to improve the car. For sure this is something we need to work harder in order to improve it, and we have of course got ideas because we know where we lack [performance] and of course we also know that unfortunately we're paying a big price in qualifying that hurts our performance in the race."
I disagree mate. I think the F2012 hit it's development peak mid season whereas other teams were able to continue to develop their cars right to the end of the season.
When Domenicali speaks of not improving the car, he's talking about cutting the gap to rivals. As I said first after summer break Ferrari only brought small refinements to the car. The small refinements definitely worked because others continued to bring updates yet the gap to them remained consistent. So while they didn't dramatically improve the car towards the end of the season, the small refinements helped to maintain the gap.
As mentioned in a previous post, I believe in order to seriously cut the gap to RB & McLaren it would have necessitated a redesign of much of the car, something Ferrari didn't have time to do. Therefore IMHO, the F2012 hit it's development peak early.
I think they definitely do have a decent understanding of the car simply because the others were bringing updates, large ones yet the gap to Ferrari never really increased, which tells me most of the small refinements worked. And in order for them to work, Ferrari would need to understand how to improve which it did albeit slightly.

CHT
CHT

mbvinnie wrote:
Wow, Alonso looks like he is hurting there. Not surprising really, but you can read it in his face and see how much it meant to him. After racing his heart out for 20 races it sucks to lose by such a small margin when he did all he could.

Incidentally - I have read a statement from Jenson praising/congratulating Seb, have Ferrari or Alonso made any statements about Seb/Red Bull after Brazil?
I have looked quickly, but not found anything (they did congratulate Red Bull after the constructors championship in Austin). Some articles have mentioned they did (Gracious Alonso etc, Alonso congratulated Seb etc), but they did not provide any quotes or statements, they just mention a hug between Seb & Fernando (and clearly there is the evidence of the Newey/Fernando hug).
Did alonso just whisper something to newey? :)

I would expect Luca di Montezemolo to be the first senior figure at Ferrari who will congratulate Vettel first.

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

radosav

Was that Ferrari F10?

raymondu999

F60 I think (2009 car)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Cam

raymondu999 wrote:F60 I think (2009 car)
I wonder why they cranked that car out? Massa had a bad experience with it and Alonso never drove it. What's the bet Alonso refused to step inside the F2012 again?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

raymondu999

I think for show-only runs, they're only allowed to use cars that are 2 years old? Something to that effect.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Cam

well that kind explains it - but leaves the question open as to why they didn't unleash one of the all conquering monsters to please the crowd. If anything it would be good to see a Ferrari F1 car that had no equal running on a track in anger again.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Hail22

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk63j2sPc9s[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUVe2FjKZjg[/youtube]

I found in the second video one of the Youtube users comments quite...comical :)

EHeroSaiyaman 5 days ago

Those 10 million fans could be used as the new wind tunnel for next year Stefano :)
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve