CaterhamF1 2012

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RicME85

Re: CaterhamF1 2012

Petrov finally doing something and getting Caterham's 10th back :)

NathanOlder

So Petrov pulling out all the stops meaning Caterham now have the cash to Keep Heikki. So does that mean his seat as a pay driver has just gone ? I assume Petrov pays for his seat. So by doing well, he will shoot himself in the foot. Heikki will be loving this if its true
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

TzeiTzei

NathanOlder wrote:So Petrov pulling out all the stops meaning Caterham now have the cash to Keep Heikki. So does that mean his seat as a pay driver has just gone ? I assume Petrov pays for his seat. So by doing well, he will shoot himself in the foot. Heikki will be loving this if its true
Petrov apparently doesnt have any sponsor backing for next year. But if they now decide to get a "proper" driver then i guess they would choose Petrov. He's been impressive this year.

Tbh i feel disappointed that Marussia lost the 10th place just in the last laps. That money would have been important for them.

SchumiSutil

It would be strange if they get the rid of Petrov just because ha was good enough today to be 11th. #-o

ScottB

Is them keeping the same tub really that bad? If it allows them more time to spend designing new wings, sidepods and diffuser might it turn out to be a benefit? Or does it mean they would be turning up with virtually the same car as it is right now?

nacho

Good drive from Petrov, but Heikki had to stop 5 times compared to Petrov's 2 stops and was ahead before all the craziness started!

piast9

ScottB wrote:Is them keeping the same tub really that bad? If it allows them more time to spend designing new wings, sidepods and diffuser might it turn out to be a benefit? Or does it mean they would be turning up with virtually the same car as it is right now?
Unless the tube itself is also the source of trouble because of its weight, stiffness, front suspension mounting points or other reason.

marcush.

piast9 wrote:
ScottB wrote:Is them keeping the same tub really that bad? If it allows them more time to spend designing new wings, sidepods and diffuser might it turn out to be a benefit? Or does it mean they would be turning up with virtually the same car as it is right now?
Unless the tube itself is also the source of trouble because of its weight, stiffness, front suspension mounting points or other reason.
remember the fluttering front pushrods anyone ? Dave W suggested a distortion/Stiffness problem somewhere in the suspension pickups (Rockers)to cause this....
Was Caaterham struggling with U/s this year? with a complete RBR rearend one would assume the front would be the weak area...

ESPImperium

marcush. wrote:
piast9 wrote:
remember the fluttering front pushrods anyone ? Dave W suggested a distortion/Stiffness problem somewhere in the suspension pickups (Rockers)to cause this....
Was Caaterham struggling with U/s this year? with a complete RBR rearend one would assume the front would be the weak area...
Tub was manufactured by EPM Technology i think. However it could have been down to a torsional stiffness problem in the front due to design. The rear end was fine, its the Red Bull rear end from 2011 with a Caterham crash structure.

For 2013 the CT02 i am led to believe is being made in house by the team, whitch will see many problems ironed out.

However Caterhams two problems to me were the mid season move to Leafeild and the attempted copy of the Red Bull X Coanda ramp where the exhaust goes over the top and the air goes under. They wasted too much resource and budget on this failed area of the car, they should have gone with something else that would have given them more tangible benifits like a Red Bull DDRS on the beam wing and a exhaust system that worked for the design of the car not the design working for a exhaust system. Maybes they should have tried to go with a crude McLaren/Sauber system then refine it later on in the season with a RB DDRS for Quali to try and get them as high up the grid as posible would have worked better.

On Leafeald, it may have been a mistake now, but come mid 2013 it could have been a massive masterstroke for the team.

However they regained P10 with the P11, and im sure this will make their 2013 season a whole lot easier, or tougher whatever way you look at it!

CHT
CHT

RicME85 wrote:Petrov finally doing something and getting Caterham's 10th back :)
I am not sure if Petrov or caterham bound Charles Pic did it.

fritticaldi

I am expecting an official announcement from Caterham announcing Dutch driver, Giedo Van der Garde as one of their race drivers in the upcoming 2013 F1 championship. Van Der Garde who brings McGregor sponsorship will have French driver, Charles Pic as teammate.