Williams F1 Team 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FrukostScones

Re: Williams 2013

stefan_ wrote:The way I see things with Bottas jumping straight to F1 is like in the tattoo industry in a way.

No matter how good at drawings you are, to be recognized as a tattoo artist by others you have to be an apprentice, you have to learn from an experienced guy in a tattoo shop until he consideres that you are ready to go on your own to make proper tattoos. You have to go through s**t like everyone else, and if you don't and you start making tattoos by your own because you think that just because you draw good and you make decent tattoos without knowing the actual techniques and tricks, you are considered a scratcher and in the tattoo world, the fact that you are a scratcher goes out pretty fast and it's not the reputation you want to have.

To me, Bottas can be the best on the grid, he can become a WDC, I wish him all the best but I will still consider him a scratcher, because he didin't go through s**t like everyone else - 2 years in F3, 1 year in GP3 and that's it. He forced his way in Formula One because he has the money and the backing.
FP1 is not a tattoo shop? Pitwall is not an experienced guy?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

FW17

raymondu999 wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:A good number 3

Not a threat

Dependable test driver

Sort of like antonio pizzonia, petro de la rosa

Who do we have now?
Who are we talking about again?
Expecting the current line up to last a few years

No more development driver

Who will williams sign up for test/reserve driver?

stefan_

FrukostScones wrote: FP1 is not a tattoo shop? Pitwall is not an experienced guy?
Of course it is, but I think it would have been better do to GP2 or FR 3,5 rather than not to race for one year and do just one test session / race weekend. We can see what happened to Maldonado and Grosjean who were GP2 champions and still made dumb moves when they were actually racing in Formula 1 and that is why I think every driver nowdays should have a path or a minimum number of races completed in this support series in order to get into Formula 1 as a main driver.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

raymondu999

As I see it - Williams over the years have always bred their own drivers, almost. Rosberg, Hulkenberg were all "in-house" drivers who they brought up to F1. Not quite their own "driver program" - but not too far off either.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Sevach

stefan_ wrote:
Of course it is, but I think it would have been better do to GP2 or FR 3,5 rather than not to race for one year and do just one test session / race weekend. We can see what happened to Maldonado and Grosjean who were GP2 champions and still made dumb moves when they were actually racing in Formula 1 and that is why I think every driver nowdays should have a path or a minimum number of races completed in this support series in order to get into Formula 1 as a main driver.
Apparently Williams management believes that driving the car on fridays prepares him better for F1 than a GP2 season.
Maybe this way they can see how fast he is in comparison to their regular drivers or something...

Bottas was a Williams driver before 2012, they could've easily found him a good place in GP2 if they thought it was the best decision.

raymondu999

It's quite an interesting choice, given their last two proteges have been fielded (and won on their debut seasons of) GP2
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Sevach

Re: Williams F1 Team 2013

In Rosberg's case every driver on the grid was a rookie :D
Also, back in 2005 testing wasn't restricted, so Rosberg had plenty of KMs in the car.

Still, we will never know fully what made them take this unique route with Bottas.

KATO

stefan_ wrote:
FrukostScones wrote: FP1 is not a tattoo shop? Pitwall is not an experienced guy?
I think they gave him enough of Sennas Friday mornings to be competent enough to drive the car at a decent speed... Now let's see how good he is at learning and work ethic to compensate for his lack of experience and youth to overcome and become and amazing driver.. In a lessor form its alot like Lewis in his first F1 season only he was properly readied for it........ Is it enough those Friday practices...
"Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
__Ayrton Senna

Nando

Pastor and Bottas are getting to know each other, pretty funny with the last game ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkutKpfm ... MA&index=2[/youtube]
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

AlpineF1

Judging by Grosjeans first few races i expect Valteris will be much the same
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

Sevach

Grosjean actually was racing in GP2 last season.
Grosjean's mistakes can't be put on the account of rustiness, and they continued late in the season.

zoro_f1

Chief operations engineer Mark Gillan leaves Williams F1 team

click [here] for more.
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

gato azul

wow, that didn't last long
I think, that will be a blow/setback for Williams, at least in the short term

Sevach

Not good, i was curious to see what this tech team could accomplish now, with some acclimation time.
The FW34 speed was impressive for the first full year of an entirely new tech team from top to bottom, plus a new engine.
Last edited by Sevach on 18 Dec 2012, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

FW17

Williams departures: Mark Gillan, Tom McCullough (to Sauber) and Mark Barnett (to Force India).