Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Lurk

Re: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

Raikkonen was replaced by Alonso, Alonso left because of Hamilton, Newey departure didn't hurt them too much (pb was Newey building a whole team around him) as all their cars competed for the championship except in 2006, 2009 (KERS mess but a rocket at the end) and 2011. Fry departure was not a problem either.

McLaren is able to stay competitive whatever happened, but it also what cost them some titles. As long as they keep their philosophy, they won't be hurt by some departures. But they will struggle to clinch titles too.

stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

flmkane

[quote="Lurk"]Raikkonen was replaced by Alonso, Alonso left because of Hamilton, Newey departure didn't hurt them too much (pb was Newey building a whole team around him) as all their cars competed for the championship except in 2006, 2009 (KERS mess but a rocket at the end) and 2011. Fry departure was not a problem either.

McLaren is able to stay competitive whatever happened, but it also what cost them some titles. As long as they keep their philosophy, they won't be hurt by some departures. But they will struggle to clinch titles too.[/quote\

There are too many 'what ifs' there to be able to really see 'what could have been'. But lets see what 'has been.'

No constructors title since 1998.

1 drivers title in 2008, under the OLD regulations, in a car in a car with Adrian Newey's designs in it's bloodline.

And lets not pretend Newye's departure did not hurt them. In the long run it was a DEVASTATING loss. With Newey, we might have been in the middle of the 'Mclaren Era' instead of the Red Bull Era.

And all those great drivers leaving the team. It doesn't matter who replaced them, this has been a trend for the last 20 years. Contrast that with Ferrari during the Schumacher era. Contrast that with Alonso and Ferrari, or Alonso and Renault. Compare that with Vettel, Webber and Red Bull. And take a look at the treatment that Ferrari gives to Massa. FERRARI! The team of the devil, treats their drivers FAR better!

Also, before anyone can accuse me, I'll come out clean and say that I'm indeed a disgruntled Mclaren fan.

CjC
CjC

flmkane wrote:
Lurk wrote:Raikkonen was replaced by Alonso, Alonso left because of Hamilton, Newey departure didn't hurt them too much (pb was Newey building a whole team around him) as all their cars competed for the championship except in 2006, 2009 (KERS mess but a rocket at the end) and 2011. Fry departure was not a problem either.

McLaren is able to stay competitive whatever happened, but it also what cost them some titles. As long as they keep their philosophy, they won't be hurt by some departures. But they will struggle to clinch titles too.[/quote\

There are too many 'what ifs' there to be able to really see 'what could have been'. But lets see what 'has been.'

No constructors title since 1998.

1 drivers title in 2008, under the OLD regulations, in a car in a car with Adrian Newey's designs in it's bloodline.

And lets not pretend Newye's departure did not hurt them. In the long run it was a DEVASTATING loss. With Newey, we might have been in the middle of the 'Mclaren Era' instead of the Red Bull Era.

And all those great drivers leaving the team. It doesn't matter who replaced them, this has been a trend for the last 20 years. Contrast that with Ferrari during the Schumacher era. Contrast that with Alonso and Ferrari, or Alonso and Renault. Compare that with Vettel, Webber and Red Bull. And take a look at the treatment that Ferrari gives to Massa. FERRARI! The team of the devil, treats their drivers FAR better!

Also, before anyone can accuse me, I'll come out clean and say that I'm indeed a disgruntled Mclaren fan.
Oh man you will upset the masses with that!

The truth hurts
I have to agree with the Newey lodgic.

BTW giving someone a grilling and then claiming to are a fan doesn't work here, I did the same and got labled a 'fanboy' I am a fanboy of Mclaren and untill this week have only posted my views in Mclaren related threads....
Just a fan's point of view

flmkane

LOL! I said 'disgruntled fan' not 'fan'. There's a world of difference.

CjC
CjC

so you support another team?

flmkane

Ferrari

CjC
CjC

Alonso!

Lurk

- Vettel will leave RBR as soon as they wont produce a fast car or a team provide him a better offer (Ferrari?). Alonso did exactly the same thing with Renault. He came back to Enstone only because it was the only available seat and get out as soon as he could.
- Massa stays at Ferrari because it is his only way to be in Formula 1 (sad for him but true) and because Ferrari are not able to find a fast driver who wants to be called Alonso puppy.
- Hakkinen and Coulthard stayed at McLaren during 9 years, Raikkonen 5 years, Hamilton 6 years. How many for Alonso at Ferrari or Vettel at RBR? They are about to begin their 4th and 5th (6th if we count STR) season with their teams. So let's see what happens next.

- Concerning Newey: no constructor title since 1998. But wasn't Newey working for McLaren until the end of 2005?
McLaren lost Newey because he had been offered to be the mastermind of a whole team (and RBR win because he is their mastermind). He would never have become that at McLaren because of the Dennis philosophy for his team.
And there was a lot of rumors about Newey retirement in 2004-2005, he would surely have leave Formula one if RBR didn't make that offer.

That's why I said problem was not Newey's departure but Newey building a team around him.

KATO

I'm a McLaren fan for sure Lewis was awesome but now* that he's gone I wish him well and I know he will do great but..... I don't care about his tweets I don't care to see him race.. I support Jenson and Perez I'm ALSO a Perez fan bu for 2013 all I've done is talk about how well I expect Jenson to do in a PURE Button car.... It should be amazing.. The car I also wish for Perez sake he does well but I'm sure he will be fine.. He's young nd that will help him adapt quik to the team.. Because he's still learning so McLaren can shape and mold him to be a great driver.... I used to watch Sauber and McLaren.. Now it's still the same.. But I do agree McLaren should maybe give more value to its strong members and try a bit harder to keep them... That I DON'T agree with I do think McLaren could have kept so many greats a bit longer....

Lewis is one of my favourite drivers tho but for some reason I look at his news or what ever and glance at it once and look away....
"Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
__Ayrton Senna

stefan_

2013 helmets:

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

diego1960

Cheko's design is really awful. He should have stuck with the one he had in 2012, this one is horrible, without imagination and unrecognizable.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

ringo

The chain is a bit cheesy.
The mayan hieroglyphics are cool though.
For Sure!!

KATO

diego1960 wrote:Cheko's design is really awful. He should have stuck with the one he had in 2012, this one is horrible, without imagination and unrecognizable.
It's like a crapy version of Lewis Hamiltons helmets not a good one like this was maid for Lewis but when he looked at it the thing looked ugly so he didn't use it..... Nd here comes Sergio in it.. "Here you go mate we maid this thinking specially for you..."

But one thing Sergio said about Button maid me think.. Last years car was a Hamilton car mostly.
This years car was supposed to be a Button car, but according to Buttons Twitter account and Button and Perez. Jenson has spent all winter away until just a few weeks ago..... Now didn't Button say he was gona work on the car with the Engineers and get that done.. Instead he went running, bike riding, and swimming. So who did the engineers work with on the car.... Did they work with any of the drivers? Sergio and McLaren say he's in there all winter since before they presented him officialy with Saubers consent. However they say he was there to work in the simulator not the car. So I ask who did the engineers work with on the MP4-28 is it just an evolution of the MP4-27 a Lewis car or is it....... What is it? We know Jensons fit and that's good for him but. What about the car what about the team and I have one single question all the rest is rubbish.
Have the engineers had free range to design a car to their full capacity with the fact that Sergio was in the simulator and Button was out running, swimming, and bike riding or did Button manage to Phone it in-??
Better yet did they work with Lewis on the car-?? Lol jp.. I just want to know if Button indeed have the MP4-28 designed for him like he said it would be or not??
"Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
__Ayrton Senna

Neno

KATO wrote:
diego1960 wrote:Cheko's design is really awful. He should have stuck with the one he had in 2012, this one is horrible, without imagination and unrecognizable.
It's like a crapy version of Lewis Hamiltons helmets not a good one like this was maid for Lewis but when he looked at it the thing looked ugly so he didn't use it..... Nd here comes Sergio in it.. "Here you go mate we maid this thinking specially for you..."

But one thing Sergio said about Button maid me think.. Last years car was a Hamilton car mostly.
This years car was supposed to be a Button car, but according to Buttons Twitter account and Button and Perez. Jenson has spent all winter away until just a few weeks ago..... Now didn't Button say he was gona work on the car with the Engineers and get that done.. Instead he went running, bike riding, and swimming. So who did the engineers work with on the car.... Did they work with any of the drivers? Sergio and McLaren say he's in there all winter since before they presented him officialy with Saubers consent. However they say he was there to work in the simulator not the car. So I ask who did the engineers work with on the MP4-28 is it just an evolution of the MP4-27 a Lewis car or is it....... What is it? We know Jensons fit and that's good for him but. What about the car what about the team and I have one single question all the rest is rubbish.
Have the engineers had free range to design a car to their full capacity with the fact that Sergio was in the simulator and Button was out running, swimming, and bike riding or did Button manage to Phone it in-??
Better yet did they work with Lewis on the car-?? Lol jp.. I just want to know if Button indeed have the MP4-28 designed for him like he said it would be or not??
it's still hamilton car and button car, MP4-28 is evolution of MP4-27, every input from last season from MP4-27 was used for making new car, i could understand if regulation changed or something, but regulations are same. button probably expect similar driving car so he is not worried, it's not that hamilton was key mclaren guy and because he is not here mclaren will stop working and no one except hamilton can't explain them what to do next :? for perez, he probably drived mp4-27 in simulator so when he get in mp4-28 can see what differences between last and this year car are.