Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
beelsebob

Re: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

McLaren taking photos of each and every car from the exact same angle is great... means I can do this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMFhxdAZVq4[/youtube]

Avocado

Re: McLaren MP4-28

Why is Mercedes star still on the nose, steering wheel, on helmets, in the name of the team etc. if they are no longer shareholders? McLaren even pay for their engines. Mercedes no longer has any connection with the McLaren. I don't get it.

Richard

All the teams have the engine manufacturer in their name and emblems on the car. Look here http://www.formula1.com/results/team/2012/

Also I guess the divorce conditions stipulated certain Merc branding as part of the ongoing engine supply agreement.

Avocado

Sahara Force India F1 Team

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 12_4-5.jpg

I don't see Mercedes (star) anywhere.

Richard

I see what you mean. They don't even have Merc on the overalls.

I should say top teams seem to have engine supplier emblems and branding. For example the Honda logo was always very prominent on Senna's cars.

What is a fact is that the engine supplier name is always on the official listings for all teams.

Huntresa

Avocado wrote:Sahara Force India F1 Team

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 12_4-5.jpg

I don't see Mercedes (star) anywhere.
Even if they arent shareholders doesnt mean Merc isnt paying some sponsor money :D

xDama

diego1960 wrote:Cheko's design is really awful. He should have stuck with the one he had in 2012, this one is horrible, without imagination and unrecognizable.
Wait, whut? It's a great looking helmet, man. The only bad thing are the chains on the side. It's even better than Hamilton' helmet imo, which is in my view a helmet with little imagination. And I'm an online/print designer, so I tend to have an eye for those things.

But, another thing for now. I've been wondering about something, and after the launch-ceremony, I'm wondering about it even more... Are things a little 'iffy' between Button and Perez? The last couple of months there we're some articles/interviews from Button in which I had the slight feeling that he wants to make it clear he's number 1, that he has developed the new car and that he'll be the WDC-candidate for Mclaren. And Perez looks to me like he's having none of that. The body language and talks between the 2 gave me even more that impression.

Or am I seeing things? :)
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

diego1960

I disagree. Although I'm not a designer,I am talented in drawing, I have an eye for these things too and I've always found these kind of designs are ugly. Same as di Resta's or Vettel's. I don't like modern helmet patterns, and I like Hammy's helmet because it is something you could draw from memory, and can't be confused with anyone else's.

To give you a better example, I like designs such as the ones Cevert, Hakkinen, MSC, Hamilton, Prost, Pique and Mansell had, or even Ronnie Peterson. Simple, elegant and old-school designs that remained unchanged even if the driver switched teams. It was a statement back then, a part of their personality. Now it's just a competition of who is going to make the brighter, more colorful and with more chrome and strange designs helmet.

Really, really not a fan of the trend after the 00's.

But we are really off-topic so I will stop here :mrgreen:
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

xDama

diego1960 wrote:I disagree. Although I'm not a designer,I am talented in drawing, I have an eye for these things too and I've always found these kind of designs are ugly. Same as di Resta's or Vettel's. I don't like modern helmet patterns, and I like Hammy's helmet because it is something you could draw from memory, and can't be confused with anyone else's.

To give you a better example, I like designs such as the ones Cevert, Hakkinen, MSC, Hamilton, Prost, Pique and Mansell had, or even Ronnie Peterson. Simple, elegant and old-school designs that remained unchanged even if the driver switched teams. It was a statement back then, a part of their personality. Now it's just a competition of who is going to make the brighter, more colorful and with more chrome and strange designs helmet.

Really, really not a fan of the trend after the 00's.

But we are really off-topic so I will stop here :mrgreen:
Yeah, we're going a little off-topic, but I think this is the right place to discuss about those things. It's the team-thread, so why not. :)

I actually completely agree with what you're saying and I understand what you mean. I'm also a fan of 'timeless' designs, like the one from drivers you mention. In time those helmets become iconic and have an emotional feeling to it (you forgot to mention Hunt, my favorite one ;) ). But in the modern era, those things are become rare, and that's definitely a shame.

But, that aside, it doesn't mean that it's a bad/ugly design, not at all :) di Resta' helmet, now that's a shocker indeed!
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

mclaren777

flmkane wrote:And lets not pretend Newey's departure did not hurt them.
Adrain's departure didn't hurt Mclaren as much as Pirelli did.

I'm confident that Lewis would have won a couple more championships if Bridgestone had stayed the tire supplier.

raymondu999

mclaren777 wrote:
flmkane wrote:And lets not pretend Newey's departure did not hurt them.
Adrain's departure didn't hurt Mclaren as much as Pirelli did.

I'm confident that Lewis would have won a couple more championships if Bridgestone had stayed the tire supplier.
You realize, of course - Pirelli has only been in a couple of years? A couple more for Lewis would've meant that Hamilton won the last two titles.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

stefan_

The Bruce McLaren video they presented at the MP4-28 lauch. I found it pretty good.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0wwk4EDYsw[/youtube]
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Shakeman

stefan_ wrote:The Bruce McLaren video they presented at the MP4-28 lauch. I found it pretty good.
They did a great job on that video, tastefully done without ever lapsing into melodrama.

diego1960

Beautiful video, it catches your attention immediately.

Let's just hope (though I am not a McLaren supporter anymore) that they do well this year. It would be a shame to be mediocre on such an important occasion.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

KATO

I want to add that Checos helmet where is says that exactly.... That looks ugly... Wow that's ugly..
And Sennas helmet you guys forgot to mention but to me it is the only one that matters.

Chose to delete my post and ask a single question. They say that the 2013 tires will be more delicate then the 2012 Pirelis so with Jenson having so much trouble last year with the Tires BUT all the data they collected I think should eliminate the issue and Perez bing so quik and yet good with tires. I wonder can will Button get a better car for the early issues with tire management not to be an issue. But also can Sergio be considered a decent deference point when it comes to tire management he who had the best tire management numbers last year with the abrasive (is that misspelled I'm sorry) with the abrasive tires from last season'?