Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KATO

Re: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

raymondu999 wrote:
KATO wrote:His race pace far exceedes his qualifying pace
His, or the Sauber's? That is the big question.
No I believe HIS own pace.. The regardless of how good the car sometimes better sometimes worse... He always has a stronger race performance compared to his qualy performance..

So HIS race pace is always better then his own speed on a qualifying lap..
So who knows how it will translate in a McLaren.. Maybe he's not good enough in the first lace and Ferrari is right he's too green.. Yet the MP4-28 might still place him in the top 10 because the car itself is strong enough for this or.. Maybe he's what Witmarsh and Ron Think he is and he can win..

But regardless of that HIS race pace is always bette then his qualifying speed.. And he's consistent.. On his laps times tends to move faster as the race continues and his tires wear down somehow makes it work a few laps longer then other drivers...
"Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
__Ayrton Senna

raymondu999

Given that all Checo has driven in F1 so far is 2 known tyresaver cars, I don't think we can isolate the pace to his own. Unless, of course someone has stats from GP2, with fastest laps/poles etc? (I don't follow GP2)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

KATO

raymondu999 wrote:Given that all Checo has driven in F1 so far is 2 known tyresaver cars, I don't think we can isolate the pace to his own. Unless, of course someone has stats from GP2, with fastest laps/poles etc? (I don't follow GP2)
Yes we still have to see if it was Perez or not.... Well regardless of the tire saving stuff.. He is faster in a race then on Qualy.. But he Will need to be faster in Qualifiers as McLaren fans will want to see him fight for pol as will this be expected of Button or anyone in a McLaren no mater who you are..
"Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
__Ayrton Senna

raymondu999

KATO wrote:Well regardless of the tire saving stuff.. He is faster in a race then on Qualy..
We know that Sauber+Perez is faster in race than quali. But how much was Sauber, how much was Perez? We don't know. Will the pattern of being faster in a race than in quali extend to Perez+McLaren? We don't know. It could be that the Sauber was like the Lotus - not good in quali, and good in the race. Or as the counterexample, the Sauber could have been like the Mercedes - good in quali, bad in the race.

When I have the time later or tomorrow, I'll have a look see on his GP2 results.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

KATO

raymondu999 wrote:
KATO wrote:Well regardless of the tire saving stuff.. He is faster in a race then on Qualy..
We know that Sauber+Perez is faster in race than quali. But how much was Sauber, how much was Perez? We don't know. Will the pattern of being faster in a race than in quali extend to Perez+McLaren? We don't know. It could be that the Sauber was like the Lotus - not good in quali, and good in the race. Or as the counterexample, the Sauber could have been like the Mercedes - good in quali, bad in the race.

When I have the time later or tomorrow, I'll have a look see on his GP2 results.
I wasn't disagreeing with you intact I think we agreed the first time .. And I think we repeated ourselves here a bit..
Sorry for confusion everyone my bad.. Thank you for looking up GP2 results..
__Ayrton Senna

raymondu999

So in 2009 and 2010, GP2 raced with Bridgestone tyres.

2009 - 0 wins, 0 poles, 1 fastest lap (sprint race)
2010 - 5 wins, 1 pole, 5 fastest laps

Perez's 2010 GP2 fastest laps all came at the races where he won. 2 of his victories were "Race 1" victories, and the other 3 were "Race 2" victories. The single time he got pole, he finished 11th.

Make of it what you will.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Neno

raymondu999 wrote:So in 2009 and 2010, GP2 raced with Bridgestone tyres.

2009 - 0 wins, 0 poles, 1 fastest lap (sprint race)
2010 - 5 wins, 1 pole, 5 fastest laps

Perez's 2010 GP2 fastest laps all came at the races where he won. 2 of his victories were "Race 1" victories, and the other 3 were "Race 2" victories. The single time he got pole, he finished 11th.

Make of it what you will.
from this i would say shitty driver, but i would say same for kobayashi carrer in gp2. but many driver who didnt dominate in gp2 made better carrers in f1. also fun fact is that two last gp2 championship winners maked most of incidents/mistake in f1 on track grosjean/maldonado.

if Valsecchi get's his driver seat, and he probably will, i expect same results from him. And i presume, the rookie who will had good season, and be maybe one of new candidate for seat in big team for couple of years (like perez this year) will be gutierez.

raymondu999

We're not talking about how good/bad he is as a driver Neno - we're comparing his race pace vs his quali pace.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Neno

raymondu999 wrote:We're not talking about how good/bad he is as a driver Neno - we're comparing his race pace vs his quali pace.
from this datas you cant see his race pace with qualy pace. i recommending downloading gp2 races if you want make proper comparation.

raymondu999

Yes, results never tell the full picture - but they do save a lot of time. 1 pole vs 5 fastest laps and 5 wins however does show a general trend of him having better race pace than quali pace.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando

He´s good with tires.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

raymondu999

Nando wrote:He´s good with tires.
Do you have pre-Sauber examples/anecdotes Nando? I don't follow GP2.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando

download the 2010 season of GP2. your numbers give an idea of it but i can´t point out specific incidents, he´s just known for taking care of his tires.
He´s a good racer and good with tires but the Sauber has certainly helped the cause.

Just 88 days left and you can see he will have the same qualities in that department as Button.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

raymondu999

I'll try to look for GP2 races though I'm not sure if any of the sites that mirror GP2 still will have them this late after the season. Anything in particular I should look out for? Is he for example always running out longer before pitstops? Or maybe doing the Prost thing by hanging back initially before pumping in some hot laps after?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

KATO

raymondu999 wrote:I'll try to look for GP2 races though I'm not sure if any of the sites that mirror GP2 still will have them this late after the season. Anything in particular I should look out for? Is he for example always running out longer before pitstops? Or maybe doing the Prost thing by hanging back initially before pumping in some hot laps after?

He does seem to start to put in Fastest Lap records often.... During a race tho usually it doesn't stand eventually Vettel or Lewis tend to drop his records but during a race he will tend I be the fastest for a bit.. Far after the beginning.. I wouldn't say like Prost but in some races kind of..

I really want to see what Jenson can do with a car built to his style..
__Ayrton Senna