Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
stefan_

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2013

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

astracrazy

talk about testing it to destruction

i guess this is prob not rare though, just with twitter its more public

Shrieker

Better on the rig than on the track. I presume they ran it to the limit to see whether their calculations correspond to reality or not ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

astracrazy

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111628

not as bad as first thought. Minor, just an oil leak

Richard

The Ross brawn thread is here :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... ead#unread

I've moved today's posts on the topic to that thread

SectorOne

some things creeping up from Lauda regarding Hamilton.
Niki Lauda has shone more light on the behind the scenes manoeuvring to prise Lewis Hamilton away from McLaren at the end of last season, with secret talks scheduled for the early hours before the Singapore night race.

“I had to see him in his room between two to four in the morning. I was never with a strange racing driver in a room between two to four in the morning,” he said.

“I remember very well the discussion because he was on pole position with McLaren, was basically winning everything and I asked him ‘Would you consider going over to Mercedes?.’ And he said ‘Why should I go. This car is winning, all I want to do is win, and your car is not winning’.

“I said ‘---, he’s right’,” grinned the Austrian.

Lauda’s response was to tell Hamilton that if he stayed with McLaren, the team that had supported him since he was a youngster, he would always be former boss Ron Dennis’s baby.

“But if you make the Mercedes win after [Michael] Schumacher, you might be a bigger legend than anybody else. He woke up and said ‘Let’s talk about it’. So this really was the catch for him.”

The next day Hamilton was heading for victory in the race.

Lauda feared a victory and intense pressure from McLaren and Dennis, the boss for whom he had won his own third title in 1984, might sway Hamilton’s mind again.

“I was sitting in front of the television and said ‘Please crash. Please retire’. I was sitting and waiting for this and Bingo! Gearbox gone. I went to see him [Hamilton] right after.” (Reuters)
http://grandprix247.com/2013/12/02/laud ... n-anybody/
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

astracrazy

i think its the conversation after this about 2014 that prob swayed him more

Bredd

http://www.espnf1.com/mercedes/motorspo ... 38589.html

Decent interview but I hope toto is downplaying stuff for 2014 because I can't take any more red bull domination.

kooleracer

Bredd wrote:http://www.espnf1.com/mercedes/motorspo ... 38589.html

Decent interview but I hope toto is downplaying stuff for 2014 because I can't take any more red bull domination.
He is just managing expectations, because the general media consensus is that Mercedes will fight for the title in 2014. Even Ross Brawn said that after signing Lewis its was all about 2014. Then Lauda, Wolff and Lowe came in and now the goal have moved to 2015 and 2016. I think internally Mercedes will be very disappointed if they get beaten by Red Bull again with that big of a margin. Mercedes want progress thats why this season has kind have put the pressure on themselves to do better for 2014. Like Toto said the have the structure in place they have more financial backing from Stuttgart. So everything is in place for a good season. But as Director its better to calm the expectations because surprise is always better then disappointment. I personally expect Mercedes to fight head to head with Red Bull ( McLaren, Ferrari) for the title. Everything less then 3 wins 8 poles and 360 WCC points is a disappointment in my eyes. Because of bigger budget, reaping the benefits of the technical structure and new rules.
Last edited by kooleracer on 09 Dec 2013, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

dren

No doubt the car will be quick, but the team will need to understand the new tires and utilize them.
Honda!

SectorOne

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Glyn

Finally....

LightningLewis

Glyn wrote:
Finally....
I don't know if it's a typo but it says: "Closing date: 2nd January 2013" Soo either it's from last year or it's a typo from them? :?

SectorOne

Must be typo, it´s from the latest Autosport issue.

Burgess

Also shows the 2013 car.