Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FoxHound

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2013

Well we know for a fact that Mercedes waited on Schumacher until Schumachers own clause lapsed in August 2012.
Mercedes covered their bases in case he decided to call it quits. Had they not held initial discussions with drivers they would be in a tough spot driver wise.
JET set

jav
jav

gilgen wrote: Of course Schumi was shown the door. The talks and agreement with Hamilton, dated back to APRIL. So from then on, Merc F1 KNEW that Schumacher would not be staying with the team.
Talks- yes, agreement in April is news to me. Link please?

Also- Schumachers non commitance to 2013 predates april... as far back as 2010, he has always said he would honor his 3 year deal and decide only near the end of his contract.

I find it perfectly reasonable that Merc had talks with Hami (and others) to protect thier interests...and they did. Both Haug and Brawn are on record as wanting Schumi to stay on but both stated that decision was his. They are also on record that Schumi was kept aware of negotiations. Why keep him in the loop if the decision were already made that he's gone?

Schumacher wasn't shown door as much as he was outside the door and his indecision allowed the door to be closed on him. Now we could debate if that was his intention or not but I'll readily admit I have no facts to support my beliefs here.

pocketmoon

Mika1 wrote:The situation:
-Ross Brawn
-Nick Fry
-Geoff Willis
-Bob Bell
-Aldo Costa
-Mike Elliot
-Nikki Lauda
-Toto Wolff
-Paddy Lowe

You can be sure someone has to go. I expect Brawn and Fry.
So who have they lost over 2011/12?

Steve Clarke (great guy),
Loïc Bigois
Norbert (from Merc Msport)

erm...

turbof1

Mika1 wrote:The situation:
-Ross Brawn
-Nick Fry
-Geoff Willis
-Bob Bell
-Aldo Costa
-Mike Elliot
-Nikki Lauda
-Toto Wolff
-Paddy Lowe

You can be sure someone has to go. I expect Brawn and Fry.
Looks like they want to build a complete team out of managers. I always wondered how quick Brawn would be with a wheelgun.
#AeroFrodo

aral

jav wrote:
gilgen wrote: Of course Schumi was shown the door. The talks and agreement with Hamilton, dated back to APRIL. So from then on, Merc F1 KNEW that Schumacher would not be staying with the team.
Talks- yes, agreement in April is news to me. Link please?

Also- Schumachers non commitance to 2013 predates april... as far back as 2010, he has always said he would honor his 3 year deal and decide only near the end of his contract.

I find it perfectly reasonable that Merc had talks with Hami (and others) to protect thier interests...and they did. Both Haug and Brawn are on record as wanting Schumi to stay on but both stated that decision was his. They are also on record that Schumi was kept aware of negotiations. Why keep him in the loop if the decision were already made that he's gone?

Schumacher wasn't shown door as much as he was outside the door and his indecision allowed the door to be closed on him. Now we could debate if that was his intention or not but I'll readily admit I have no facts to support my beliefs here.
Common knowledge! Ask Sergio when talks about joining Mc Laren were initiated. Hamilton had already committed to Merc, and McLaren need a replacement.
Now, if Hamilton was already committed, how could Schumacher mistakenly believe that he could still re-sign with Merc? Schumacher was kept in the dark, despite Perez being signed up to replace Hamilton, who even earlier had signed with Merc. Schumacher was shafted.

jav
jav

Common knowledge? The earliest i've heard of an agreement was Singapore. I've seen and read nothing reliable about an April agreement. Surely, if this is common knowledge, you can point to some reliable source?

BTW- I'm referring to "agreement"... not talks.

user001

it was reported, that schumacher was so upset to be dumbed and also the way he was dumbed that straight after he was told about his demission he called in a press conference within 5mins!

Cocles

winth304 wrote:it was reported, that schumacher was so upset to be dumbed and also the way he was dumbed that straight after he was told about his demission he called in a press conference within 5mins!
Where was this reported?

PlatinumZealot

Schmu was obviously ousted... but just with gentle persuasion. There was no way they were keeping him for the "super team" since he had become a sort of dead flesh in the body.

As per Brawn, the man who brought in Shumi as his "pet project," that failed: he won't be seeing the daylight of 2014.

Nick Fry - what does he ever do?! He's gone as well.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

FW17

Re: Mercedes GP Petronas F1 Team 2013

FoxHound wrote:The W03 was fast out the blocks, lets remember that at least.
At least for the first few laps:)

Toto seems to be on a brief to slim down the organization, I think that should work as the previous structure put in was too large. I expect some of the heads to packed off for a more efficient team.

Ross is a great guy for operations but i wonder why he moved out (when he did) from Ferrari. If he is on the move then I think it will be on Lauda's assessment rather than Toto's.

Ross anyway is now too rich to be a employee (could be very wrong), but i don't see him at his very best unless he uses his riches to buy a stake in some other tame and then involved in the day to day running.

Raptor22

Looks very much like Ross was focussed in increasing the teams net work through employing high profile engineers which would be in line with him never wanting more out of it than to sell the team on down the line again.
Mercedes are probably serious about wanting to win now after three years of phaffing about. Bringing Toto Wolfe and Paddy Loew would be a smart move.
the guys they'e really missing is Tomabazis or Prodromou but I doubt they'd get either

Mika1

Asked whether he will rue Hamilton's departure from McLaren, Button said: "I'm not disappointed because there's always change.

"I'd be disappointed if Paddy Lowe moved from the team because that's the guy who's going to help me achieve in the future.

"Whereas with Lewis, drivers come and go and people change, and that's pretty normal in the sport.
Interesting.
The boss follows me on twitter.

Gerhard Berger

Raptor22 wrote:Looks very much like Ross was focussed in increasing the teams net work through employing high profile engineers which would be in line with him never wanting more out of it than to sell the team on down the line again.
Mercedes are probably serious about wanting to win now after three years of phaffing about. Bringing Toto Wolfe and Paddy Loew would be a smart move.
the guys they'e really missing is Tomabazis or Prodromou but I doubt they'd get either
I believe Tombazis was linked with them in early 2010, but it may have been simply based no the expectation that Brawn wanted to get all his old Benetton/Ferrari people around him.

If Tombazis were to be fired (and that is not out of the question, if the Ferrari is slow out of the blocks again this year) then I imagine Mercedes would be quick to snap him up.

Nando

So what happens to Mclaren if Lowe leaves?

Brawn and Lowe switching places?
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

ringo

There's Tim Goss. Instead of atlernating lead designer with Lowe year by year, I guess he'll take on full duty for every Mp4 from here on out.
So I don't think It's much of a lost to Mclaren.
In fact I think Goss may have been responsible for the better Mp4 post Newey. I'm not sure which one was responsible for the 2009 car.
So it's a matter of lowe leaving and a young gun coming up through the ranks to learn the trade. No sense in shuffling around the same old heads.
For Sure!!