Lotus F1 Team 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
skoop

Re: Lotus F1 Team 2013

according to this article (http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 10805.html) genii puts more money into the team saving them in the middle-term

F1NAC

Trobule :P

Thunder

Signed :D
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Manoah2u

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11401096849 ... --boullier

according to bouillier, he's factual about they'll not be the sole team not participating in jerez.
Team boss Eric Boullier on Thursday played down Lotus' decision to sit out the opening test of the 2014 pre-season.

The Enstone based team finished last season a competitive fourth, but also grappling publicly with financial matters.

So the admission this week that Lotus will not be at Jerez, where most other teams will run their all-new V6-powered 2014 cars for the first time, raised renewed alarm bells about Lotus' financial health and competitiveness going forwards.

But Frenchman Boullier said other teams will also be joining Lotus on the sidelines.

"You will see, we will not be the only team not being in Jerez," he told the BBC. "I know this for a fact already."

In the team announcement earlier this week, technical boss Nick Chester said Lotus' decision was because Jerez in late January "isn't ideal for our build and development programme".

But Boullier admitted the E22 will simply "not be ready on time".

"We will be ready shortly after that," he insisted, "and in some ways, it is not bad because we will have time to watch what the others are doing and nobody will be able to watch what we are doing."

However, he also said he has "concerns" about missing the initial four-day test, which will only be followed by eight days of running in Bahrain prior to Melbourne.

"So we have to focus on doing things a little bit differently to make sure we do not lose too much," added Boullier.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Holm86

According to official FIA entry list Lotus runs Renault engines. No worries there anymore.

http://www.fia.com/2014-fia-f1-world-ch ... entry-list

zack!

Look, this FIA document, notice that "Company Name" is :
LOTUS RENAULT F1 LTD (GBR)**

While the team name is :
Lotus F1 Team

With this note of FIA concerning the Compagny name :
** Subject to confirmation

@FrukostScones : told us in another thread, last year company was :
Lotus F1 Team Limited (GBR)

Could that means Renaul t is taking a new position in Lotus hodling/management ?

zack!

I say that, because we know enstone is in financial trouble and I heard renault last year bill has not been not paid (and new 2014 contract was not signed). Even with pastor contract , the financial situation is not clear, because PDVSA accept to sponsor only if debt of enstone are "cleared", and so funding is clearly not sufficiant. Renault debt itself should represent 10-15 M€ for 2013 and 20-25M€ for 2014 I guess... So there is a possibility that Renault is taking share/position in company in exchange to a "free" engine supply, or in exchange to a new "sponsoring" approach (Renault being more visible on lotus car). If someone has an info on this...

zack!

If there is a chnage in Enstone company holding / financial, it could explain also the Patrick Louis move ???

adrianjordan

Holm86 wrote:According to official FIA entry list Lotus runs Renault engines. No worries there anymore.

http://www.fia.com/2014-fia-f1-world-ch ... entry-list
The same listing also has McLaren down as "Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes", so huge pinch of salt...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Manoah2u

the entire list has certain flaws, and lotus has a ** notification which is clarified as "Subject to confirmation" thus yet not confirmed. so really nothing changed, all that's official now are the driver numbers. that's all.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

iotar__

zack! wrote:If there is a chnage in Enstone company holding / financial, it could explain also the Patrick Louis move ???
It's not particularly interesting but since you asked (last paragraph):
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... tory.shtml

zack!

I don't know why my previous post are still in moderation, but I explained that as last year bill and contract for next year represent something like 30-40 M€, and as far as we know, Genii didn't pay anything so far. So perhaps Renault accept to supply engine "free" in exchange to share of company or a new sponsorship agreement, both situation may include some control position in team organization.

zack!

We know tens of M€ were missing in Enstone funding for 2014 even with PDVSA sponsoring. And even, PDVSA contract is conditioned to "clearance" of some Enstone debts (sorry for my poor english, but I am sure you re able to understand what I mean). So perhaps a move of Renault will give confidence with teh future of Enstone and allow to receive PDVSA money, and as well, allows Lopez to ask more funding from backers/investors.

I heard that one of the big backer of GENII investment fund asked for a return of a big loan (I think something like 100 M€) at the end of 2013... So, for Lopez, it is probably a challenge to convince theirs GENII backers to continue their commitment / exposure in Lotus team funding... This one the reason why GENII wanted a new investment partner (ie quantum sports), so perhaps the ticket Renault/PDVSA could be an alternative ?

Of course, all this is only my personal opinion, I haven't any particular insight / inside knowledge of Lotus situation.

Pup
Pup

I'm seeing various reports on twitter etc about a fairly significant shakeup at Lotus. Nothing solid to link to, so for the time being, I guess this is all rumor.

Seems that last year, it was minority shareholder Andrew Ruhan who was funding the team, via a loan to Lopez. This was to be temporary while the Quantum deal was pending. Since that fell through, Ruhan has either converted that loan to equity or has otherwise worked a deal with Lopez to take control of finance and marketing of the team as executive chairman. 80 some-odd people have been let go and the budget reduced by 40-50 million. They are trying to renegotiate their engine deal with Renault to get a better price.

I'm sure more info will be available shortly.

Holm86

Future of Lotus is getting darker and darker.

Jan.14 (GMM) As fears about Lotus' health grow, 2013 reserve driver Davide Valsecchi has revealed he has not yet been paid by the Enstone based team.

As reigning GP2 champion, 26-year-old Italian Valsecchi served last year as Lotus' reserve driver, but he admitted last week he is now likely to exit.

"After a 2013 season in which I travelled a lot but did not get on the track, I want to go back to wearing overalls and a helmet," he had said.

When Lotus overlooked him late last season as Kimi Raikkonen's replacement in favour of Heikki Kovalainen, Valsecchi admitted the decision made him "angry".

"I thought that, in their choice, my willpower would prevail over a driver like the Finn, who is at the end of his career," he told the Italian website f1passion.it this week.

Valsecchi admits he is likely to leave F1 because powerful pay-drivers "such as the Mexicans or Venezuelans" have priced drivers like him out of the market.

"I don't conceal my desire to get into Indycar," he said.

In the meantime, there are real fears among Lotus' fans about the health of the Enstone based team.

Although highly competitive, the black and gold outfit finished last season amid headlines about its elusive Quantum buy-in deal, and now Lotus has been only conditionally listed on the 2014 entry list.

The very latest news is that team CEO Patrick Louis has resigned.

It is believed Lotus, having lost Kimi Raikkonen to Ferrari because the Finn wasn't paid, is struggling to raise its more than $2 million FIA entry fee for 2014.

Now, Valsecchi has admitted the team has failed even to pay his small 2013 salary.

"According to my contract my salary was like that of a waiter," he revealed. "They haven't paid me yet.

"I'm sure that as soon as they'll be in a position to do so, they'll solve their debt."

Valsecchi said the Kovalainen affair made him angry and "bitter", but he trusts Lotus to eventually pay, revealing the team has "always behaved well towards me".

"I'm very grateful to Lotus for having chosen me as third driver, without asking anything in return. I can't complain," he said.

"Try to look for a job as third driver without paying a single euro! We're talking about a team that could sell a seat for at least two or three million euros."
Source
Williams' news has left heads scratching, after Lotus boss Eric Boullier claimed he knew as "fact" that more than one team will be sitting out Jerez.

But numerous international reports have claimed that midfield teams including Force India, Sauber, Toro Rosso and even Caterham are all planning ahead for the first of just three winter tests.

So far, Marussia is the only team that has sent out signals that it is not fully committed for Jerez, and like Lotus it has only a conditional place on the 2014 entry list.

But team president Graeme Lowdon told Reuters there is no cause for concern.

"We're just finalising administrative details with the FIA and we have absolutely no concerns at all that the entry won't be confirmed," the Marussia chief said.

It is believed both Lotus and Marussia have missed the initial deadline for paying the 2014 entry fee to the governing FIA.

For 2014, the fee is $508,000, plus - controversially - $5080 per point scored in 2013.

A list published by Brazil's Totalrace shows that financially-struggling Lotus' fee amounts to a whopping $2.1 million, almost double that of grandee McLaren's $1.1m.

Marussia, however, only has to pay the basic fee, having not scored a point in 2013.

Lowdon sounded hopeful the 2014 car will be ready for Jerez.

"Testing time in Formula One is incredibly limited," he told Britain's Sky, "so if it (the new car) is there and you can use it, you want to use it."
Source