Lotus F1 Team 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Kiril Varbanov

Re: Lotus F1 Team 2013

Joe Saward has done extensive analysis about the situation in Lotus: http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/01/ ... out-lotus/

Pup
Pup

I don't have much faith in Saward anymore - his contacts seem to be getting less and less reliable while his stubbornness about them only grows. Also, he is on the board of Caterham, so you have to apply that filter every time he mentions Lotus.

In this case, however, he's recycling weeks old news and acting like he's decoded the voynich manuscript: http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/33440/ ... -de-tomaso

FW17

I don't know what Ruf Automobiles is worth, but Genii Capital has splurged out in Feb 2013. Genii Capital has also been the majority leader to the f1 team, however there does not seem to be any alarm bells going on there.

Hope the de tomaso deal goes through and the team name changed, just could not support that team with the current name.

iotar__

It would be interesting to compile Saward's predictions from the last three seasons about Lotus and see which one turned out to be true. Nothing new, they lose money and can't do it forever. The bottom line is: if you repeat that it's going to rain every day and one day it rains it doesn't make you a prophet.

Two funny quotes: 1. "Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes, Caterham and Marussia exist to sell cars (and other technologies)". A: way to be included in the group, B: so what - so did Spyker ;-). I would love to see simple financial connection of cost-reward between Caterham F1 team and number of their cars sold. Anyway, what does it matter why you lose money in F1 (except for 2 teams maybe)? It's also very fine that Williams has street cars KERS or other technologies but I fail to see it as a reason, even partial, to be in F1. It's working backwards from side-projects to "reason" just to justify the thesis.

2. "When you step back and look at the team from a distance...". Caterham's employee distance and someone connected to other F1 teams? OK let's do this - it's a bit of a miracle that this team still exists and even bigger it performed at such level. It didn't work out in CC for various reasons but they outperformed McLaren, Ferrari and Mercedes at the end of 2009- rules cycle. Considering 2009 and 2011 lost seasons it's quite an achievement. The cost is financial loss of course, bigger or smaller, it doesn't matter. The other option and the only comparable team is Williams - no chance to be even close to top teams. At least Lotus added some sporting, competitive value to F1 (and some ultra unsportsmanlike even for F1 standards but as it was self-inflicted let's leave it).

Going back to "reason" - OK, let's say Lotus produces flywheel KERS, Genii buys "Lotus-cars" and they get it right and finish second in CC - it doesn't change anything - to perform at the level they aim they still lose money and F1 still "doesn't make sense". They'd still need Sauber's "Russian" or McLaren's "Bahraini dictatorship" money - or Williams' theoretical Quatar deal, two pay drivers and extra Ecclestone cash for the sake of good old times and nice name (aka championship from 20 years ago) to be in the midfield for a decade. Anyway, simple question: who should get salary first - Valsecchi or Raikkonen? I'd say Valsecchi :oops: .

stefan_

Meanwhile, Lotus are the only ones who are showing bits/teasers of the real 2014 car.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Manoah2u

stefan_ wrote:Meanwhile, Lotus are the only ones who are showing bits/teasers of the real 2014 car.
i was thinking that, but that's not entirely true because caterham showed their nose crash test, so we saw a 'bit' of the nose,
and sauber showed a seat fitting of that certain driver 'that mangles your neck if you make him upset' in a tub that we may presume is actually the tub of the new sauber. but of that we can be mistaken, becuase when they said the car was homologated they only showed a wooden figure.........so caterham is definately the one that also showed actual parts.

but it must be said - lotus has been the only one untill now with a high-res detailed shot showing proof of their 2014 contender. which i think is a nice answer to all the comments and haters.

To be quite frank - i hope lotus provides a strong contender and that pastor is a frequent visitor to the podium alongside grosjean both scoring atleast 1 win this year.

i also hope the car will be completely yellow with dark blue lettering, but i don't think so with the sponsorship of Genii, Total and PDVSA. They could just as well run a livery ala 'goldleaf' lotus. we'll see.

they'll spend more time on this car that they won't be spending in jerez,
and i wouldnt' be surprised if there are going to be lots of fails and red flags at the jerez test, with plenty of renault engineers around and teams that'll benefit from renault knowledge.

the same knowledge will end up from renault's official engineers to enstone and same goes for pirelli tyre data.
they'll take that into account and update their drivetrain if neccesary.

then they'll be at bahrain with the fresher information in more 'representive circumstances' [a track they'll actually race on instead of jerez and with temperatures that'll be representive for the first couple of GP's.

to be honest, i think lotus might have not made the worst decision here. and if they're able to make the most out of the bahrain tests, they might just as well get the same mileage as the others because of lesser chance on engine breakdown/failure/issues because the first data collection has been done and the first 'child diseases' in real life have been minimized for as far possible at the bahrain test.

yes i'd love a totally unexpected 2014 twist with Lotus/Renault battling RedBull for the win.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985