Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Kingshark

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

It'll raise to 12.63 points if they take a 1-2 in Abu Dhabi, assuming of course that FoxHound is talking about the 10-6-4 point system and not the 10-8-6 point system (I didn't check for myself).

the EDGE

An interesting article on the Sky F1 website discussing the differing driver styles of Lewis & Nico from someone who really should know (for a change) - Paddy Lowe

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/220 ... -as-set-up
That fine-tuning typically includes where each driver prefers the brake bias to be. Hamilton has a natural preference for it to be more rearwards biased than Rosberg – something that played a part in Rosberg being able to keep the rear brakes alive in Montreal after the ERS ceased to function, while Hamilton could not

Shrieker

Kingshark wrote:It'll raise to 12.63 points if they take a 1-2 in Abu Dhabi, assuming of course that FoxHound is talking about the 10-6-4 point system and not the 10-8-6 point system (I didn't check for myself).
From wikipedia:
* Drivers Championship points were awarded on a 9-6-4-3-2-1 basis to the first six finishers in each race.[3] Only best 11 results counted toward the championship

Points towards the 1988 FIA Formula One World Championship for Constructors were awarded on a 9-6-4-3-2-1 basis for the first six places at each round.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

SiLo

the EDGE wrote:An interesting article on the Sky F1 website discussing the differing driver styles of Lewis & Nico from someone who really should know (for a change) - Paddy Lowe

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/220 ... -as-set-up
That fine-tuning typically includes where each driver prefers the brake bias to be. Hamilton has a natural preference for it to be more rearwards biased than Rosberg – something that played a part in Rosberg being able to keep the rear brakes alive in Montreal after the ERS ceased to function, while Hamilton could not
Interesting point about the test they gave Hamilton. Imagine what other drivers would be like if they came along and drove with a similar setup.
Felipe Baby!

dans79

SiLo wrote: Interesting point about the test they gave Hamilton. Imagine what other drivers would be like if they came along and drove with a similar setup.
This just seems wrong to me.
Which of the two approaches is better is not clear-cut. At Interlagos is was clearly Rosberg’s. At Austin it was Hamilton’s. Different days, different folk.
It's pretty clear that Lewis's style has shown to be better over the course of the season.
197 104 103 7

Phil

Just saw these two articles on Rosberg and Hamilton by Will Buxton which I think are excellent reads on both drivers:

The contenders: Nico Rosberg

The contenders: Lewis Hamilton
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

SiLo

Phil wrote:Just saw these two articles on Rosberg and Hamilton by Will Buxton which I think are excellent reads on both drivers:

The contenders: Nico Rosberg

The contenders: Lewis Hamilton
Fantastic reads, thanks for posting!
Felipe Baby!

astracrazy

What a year for merc. All to plan.

I still wonder about nico. His quick and.dominated quali and surprised most. He pushed lewis thats for sure. If merc have another big advantage, i think next year will be much the same. But could he be up there if another team is on par with merc? Could he out race another driver in another quick car? Say alonso?

Im not putting him down. But this year he never really out raced lewis so i wonder where he would sit if he had another top driver in another quick car fighting him as well. Would he still be there?

Moose

astracrazy wrote:What a year for merc. All to plan.

I still wonder about nico. His quick and.dominated quali and surprised most. He pushed lewis thats for sure. If merc have another big advantage, i think next year will be much the same. But could he be up there if another team is on par with merc? Could he out race another driver in another quick car? Say alonso?

Im not putting him down. But this year he never really out raced lewis so i wonder where he would sit if he had another top driver in another quick car fighting him as well. Would he still be there?
I mentioned this on the race thread, but I think it's relevant here too. I think the strength of Rosberg's performance has been amplified somewhat simply by the order of events. Now that both drivers have had 3 failures that dropped them out of the top 10, their points totals can be compared more easily. Hamilton has 67 points more than Rosberg (42 if you ignore double points) - that's 6 whole race wins (assuming 1-2s).

It's not the 200 odd points that Vettel was beating Webber by in 2013, but that's mostly a symptom of the domination Mercedes has shown this year - the slower team mate typically finished second, not 5th or 6th like Webber did in a slightly less dominant RedBull.

astracrazy

If you replayed this season and added another driver in a quick car in the mix. Yes lewis wouldnt of got so many wins, but would nico of got any? If you consider how nico got his wins anyway?

basti313

astracrazy wrote:If you replayed this season and added another driver in a quick car in the mix. Yes lewis wouldnt of got so many wins, but would nico of got any? If you consider how nico got his wins anyway?
Why do you consider Nico to suffer more? If I count it right, Lewis profited much more from being able to cruise throug the field.
And there is a crucial point: Nico was better in Q. With a car without that superior engine and an equal starting performance it is not Nico who would be in the Webber position, but Lewis. Being stranded behind the similar car you just can not overtake with pressure from behind...

For me it was not a very good season from Merc. It was just R&D miles away from other teams. Both drivers made many faults (Lewis in Q, Nico in the race) and the team made many faults in building up the car.
They can do much better. This is why I think they will be even more dominant next season.
Don`t russel the hamster!

astracrazy

Thats why i said lewis wouldnt have so many wins. Nico didnt gain much from quali though really. Im just putting it out there.
Last edited by astracrazy on 23 Nov 2014, 23:53, edited 2 times in total.

NathanOlder

basti313 wrote:
astracrazy wrote:If you replayed this season and added another driver in a quick car in the mix. Yes lewis wouldnt of got so many wins, but would nico of got any? If you consider how nico got his wins anyway?
Why do you consider Nico to suffer more? If I count it right, Lewis profited much more from being able to cruise throug the field.
And there is a crucial point: Nico was better in Q. With a car without that superior engine and an equal starting performance it is not Nico who would be in the Webber position, but Lewis. Being stranded behind the similar car you just can not overtake with pressure from behind...

For me it was not a very good season from Merc. It was just R&D miles away from other teams. Both drivers made many faults (Lewis in Q, Nico in the race) and the team made many faults in building up the car.
They can do much better. This is why I think they will be even more dominant next season.

I only remember Lewis cruising through the field was in Hockenheim and Hungary. With Hungary being a tough place to pass, passing Nico as well.
Rosberg cruised through the field in Russia. Easier to pass than Hungary and even Hockenheim.
With these 3 races , Nico was all his own fault, Lewis was bad luck. Simple.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Manoah2u

On 2 occasions, reliability issues have clearly cost Lewis dear points, whereas Nico could continue dispite having a tech problem, and in the final race he wasn't in a deciding position for it to make a actual difference in outcome.

Taking into account Lewis' brake issues earlier with qualy and he lost another chanse for a good start.
Take into account Lewis' pole lap in Monaco that got dastardly stolen by a dirty Nico trick.
Take into account Nico did a schumacher on Lewis in Spa.

Monaco and Spa alone would have seen Lewis winning thus having a larger lead on Nico with nico having actually less points for not fininishing 1st in this hypothesis.

Australia would have been a Lewis' win no doubt if he didn't have that tech issue and we'll have 57 points combined that was 'taken' from lewis, which would have had the championship decided wayyy earlier in the season.

But whatever, we had a great year and Mercedes indeed achieved what they wanted to achieve and so did Lewis.

Taking into effect natural evolvement of the current car, and the winter period allowing more development for the power plant aswell, and lessons been learned from the entire season, also for the electric unit, will only help Mercedes be in an even better position next year.

Not just that, but I am convinced Mercedes did not run on their full potential at all this year. If you look at the way the Mercedes team also had insanely good fuel use figures, then there is a whole lot more potential in that car. They manage the tires sublimely well, too and had insane amounts of grip.

Meanwhile, both Nico and Lewis will have grown even stronger as drivers and have adopted well into the Mercedes. I'd say the Mercedes for 2015 would then rather be a Mercedes W05B instead of a W06.

Yes, the competition will not maintain seated. But seeing just how much power shortage the Ferrari engine has compared to the rest, and that the Renault engine is going to get overhauled, I feel like Mercedes won't be having to worry about these 'competitors' at all. After all, the only reason RedBull has ended up in front was because they had technical failures.

I can only imagine one potential danger for Mercedes next year and that is Mclaren-Honda. Mercedes has been preparing for a long time for this season, but we musn't forget that Mclaren has been preparing for 2015 a substancial amount, too.
Honda has joined to win, not to lose, and they're willing to slam as much effort and $$ to achieve that.

Alonso is a huge asset for Mclaren if they'd hire his services, and an absolute force to be reckoned with. Frankly, i couldn't imagine Mclaren being a fierce contender for Mercedes in 2015 with a Button-Magnussen pairing as much as they would if it were a Alonso-Button pairing.

Still, I reckon Mclaren will be facing lots of 'development' issues in 2015 with their renewed contender, whilst Mercedes arguably will have sorted and ironed out most of their 2014 issues.

Therefor, I'd concider Mercedes AMG to have the 2015 WCC in the bag like they did this season. Dominantly.
Only cause to spoil this would be an even intenser battle between Nico and Lewis in 2015.

Nico will be smelling blood for trying to get what he JUST could not manage this year - and he's even stronger now, and perhaps would even play dirtier than this year.
Lewis is satisfied with his 2nd WDC title...But i don't believe for a single moment he wouldn't grab an opportunity for a 3rd one or give Nico a break. Worse, i'd think Nico's dirty tricks will have Lewis explode and we'll have a thoroughly juicy clash of the Titans next year with Alonso to pick up the crumbles whilst batteling Ricciardo.

Either way, Mercedes will sort their driver issues out midseason and they'll snatch the WCC again either way.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

basti313

NathanOlder wrote:
basti313 wrote:

I only remember Lewis cruising through the field was in Hockenheim and Hungary. With Hungary being a tough place to pass, passing Nico as well.
Rosberg cruised through the field in Russia. Easier to pass than Hungary and even Hockenheim.
With these 3 races , Nico was all his own fault, Lewis was bad luck. Simple.
Sorry, that you do not get "Both drivers made many faults". I did not want to start another fanboy ying yang with the hundredth try to count the points each one lost on the other one. This is absolutely pointless as the WC is already in the books.

Regarding "Lewis profited much more from being able to cruise throug the field.", I also count Austria and Silverstone as such cruises, maybe even Monza. With a car that is superior in downforce but without the superior engine you have a very hard time once you are somewhere between P4 and P10 after the start and there is not much progress. We could see that happen with Webber several times.

Another question is what would have happend in Qs where P2 was 6 to 10 tenth away from P1. I think that was Nico more than two times? Without a car that is 1.5sec faster you are nowhere on the grid with such performance.

There is a lot of room for improvement for both drivers and the mechanics.
Don`t russel the hamster!