Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Unc1eM0nty

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

basti313 wrote: For me it was not a very good season from Merc.
What ?

I don't know what else they could have done, 100% even in a dominant car is unlikely.

Manoah2u

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
100% even in a dominant car is unlikely.
But i'd like them to have that goal for 2015 :)
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NathanOlder

Basti, Both Merc drivers were off the front row 4 times. 2 of Lewis' were no fault of his own. Yes Nico averaged a higher position in Qualy, but i feel Lewis was less bothered by qualifying simply beacuse he KNEW he bas such a fast race car.

Car faults aside, Lewis was only off the front row twice. Nico was 4 times. So Nico gained more from having a car that can pass cars easily more often when it comes down to driver failure to get on the front row.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

CHT
CHT

IMO, NR will most likely to MW fade of slowly fading away after losing the WDC to his team mate. And with expected better reliability next year, NR will have very little chance of leading the championship. The only one whom I think could give LH a hard fight will be Alonso in the Mclaren/Honda.
Last edited by CHT on 24 Nov 2014, 07:16, edited 2 times in total.

MercedesAMGSpy

Rosberg has to improve his race pace or the outcome will be the same.

prince

With all the glory that Merc have achieved this year, they are definitely poised for more next year. With no real evidence of any resurgence from any other teams and Merc having kept the advantage intact, even at the end of the year(!), it is anyone's guess that they will continue to lead the field next year.

What they have achieved this year, which is invaluable and cannot be learnt any other way, is the EXPERIENCE OF BEING AT THE FRONT AND MANAGING IT. This year, they came without knowing where they would be and once they found it out, they probably didn't knew how to go ahead with it and would have learnt it weekend after weekend. New engine, new regulations, new ways of managing the whole racing environment, UNEXPECTED internal rivalry of two incredibly fast drivers, FRIC controversy and every pressure that a top team gets, like it or not, they have come out as winners on all accounts.

On the individual's front, Although Nico has done a incredible job of out qualifying Lewis, he desperately need to figure out what Lewis has been doing on race days, that he is not and improve in those areas, without which he is going to face another debacle. Lewis, although has ended as title winner, has been beaten in what has been his strong fort, qualifying. He would have go back and understand what was the reasons for so many errors.

After the rest, retrospective, regrouping and a further improved car, when they come back in Australia next year, they are going to be monsters, having uncovered all the secrets of success and hungry for more. Unless some other team pulls off a miracle, I can't see how anyone can stop Merc.

So, roll on 2015.

i70q7m7ghw

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

elf341 wrote:
JDC123 wrote: Look back to Brawn GP who had a very small budget for development; they were overtaken as the european races finished.
Just wanted to correct this fallacy which is repeated a few times. In fact, after the summer break Brawn were still the highest scoring team, scoring 151 points (2 wins, 1 pole) after the break compared to Red Bull's 142 (3 wins, 1 pole).

Besides, even drawing level is not enough if a team is far enough ahead. This year, Mercedes at the summer break were 174 points ahead of Red Bull, which means that even if Red Bull had consecutive 1-2s to the end of the season, both Mercedes cars would need to finish lower than 5-6th every race for Red Bull to win, and even then they'd win the constructors by 1 point.

The W05 is indeed the most dominant car we have seen in a long time.
Just wanted to correct this fallacy which is repeated a few times. In fact, the W05 over the season isn't that far ahead of the RB7 in terms of dominance:-

WaikeCU

Actually considering how dominant the car was, it has to be said that the W05 does have a fair amount of reliability issues. Perhaps it's the first season with this new technology and new formula but that's an area they need to work on for next season. I believe Williams have a more reliable car at the moment than Mercedes. They also have a better fuel consumption too and with their low drag configuration, have a better straight line speed. Williams only lacks the pace the Mercedes has, which generally is the amount of mechanical and aerodynamically generated grip they have compared with the Mercedes. The W05 doesn't really have a circuit where they have a shift in performance, they generally have a package that works well on all circuits. The Williams does have certain tracks where their tire wear is worse than normally. Also Williams have a car that underperforms in wet weather conditions. What I also believe is if Red Bull and Renault have sorted out their PU problems, then they will be back on par with Mercedes.

OO7
OO7

Diesel wrote:
elf341 wrote:
JDC123 wrote: Look back to Brawn GP who had a very small budget for development; they were overtaken as the european races finished.
Just wanted to correct this fallacy which is repeated a few times. In fact, after the summer break Brawn were still the highest scoring team, scoring 151 points (2 wins, 1 pole) after the break compared to Red Bull's 142 (3 wins, 1 pole).

Besides, even drawing level is not enough if a team is far enough ahead. This year, Mercedes at the summer break were 174 points ahead of Red Bull, which means that even if Red Bull had consecutive 1-2s to the end of the season, both Mercedes cars would need to finish lower than 5-6th every race for Red Bull to win, and even then they'd win the constructors by 1 point.

The W05 is indeed the most dominant car we have seen in a long time.
Just wanted to correct this fallacy which is repeated a few times. In fact, the W05 over the season isn't that far ahead of the RB7 in terms of dominance:-

http://i.imgur.com/dLN5cPK.jpg
That depends on how you measure dominance, as the winner will receive the same number of points whether they finish ahead of the competition by 2 seconds or 2 laps.

emaren

Blaze1 wrote: That depends on how you measure dominance, as the winner will receive the same number of points whether they finish ahead of the competition by 2 seconds or 2 laps.
Different drivers, different rules.

The Red Bulls appeared to have been incredible cars, but it is almost impossible to know how good their drivers were in relation to Hamilton and Rosberg.

Just about all you can say is that the combination of Mercedes and their drivers, appears to have been at least as dominant as red Bull and their drivers for the last few years.

Because we have never seen Hamilton and Vettel in the same car and because the cars are highly adapted to their drivers, it is pretty much impossible to compared drivers / cars within a season, let alone across the gulf of not only a season, but also across the raft of rules changes.

Just about all you can say is that Hamilton in the Mercedes was, over the course of the year, a better combination than the rest.

Blanchimont

2 DNFs for Red Bull in 2011 vs. 6 DNFs for Mercedes in 2014(Rosberg in yesterday's race counts as DNF here).

With the double points removed the score is 650 for Red Bull and 701-25 = 676 points for Mercedes. Corrected for DNFs, this would make 676/16*18 = 760,5 points.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

PhillipM

Be interesting to see what that graph looks like if you plot it against ultimate fastest race pace instead.

astracrazy

what a car the w05 was.

I'm really looking forward to the W06, it should be a beast. They should be able to keep there dominance and there could even be argument for them being even more dominant with the rumours merc have found an extra 60bhp in there engine.

Emerson.F

Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

i70q7m7ghw

Blaze1 wrote: That depends on how you measure dominance, as the winner will receive the same number of points whether they finish ahead of the competition by 2 seconds or 2 laps.
Absolutely spot on, which is why Merc "sandbag" at the front. Why win the race by 30 seconds? You don't get any extra points. Red Bull did exactly the same in their dominant years.

The only way to measure dominance is based on the results. Trying to compare pace is a waste of time, too many factors come in to play.