Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
turbof1

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

kooleracer wrote:Beginning of the season:

W04 fastest lap during qualifiying by Rosberg in Bahrein 2013: 1:32.330
W05 fastest lap during qualifiying by Rosberg in Bahrein 2014: 1:33.185

End of this season:
RB9 fastest lap during qualifiying by Webber in Abu Dhabi 2013: 1:39.957
W05 fastest lap during qualifiying by Rosberg in Abu Dhabi 2014: 1:40.480

The W06 could set new pole records next year of they can find a 1 second in the winter. I'm that the will find a big margin. We finally could get rid of some old records that are there for the taking. A lot of the records were set in the V10 era, would be great if the W06 could be the first hybrid F1 car that is quicker then a naturally aspirated V10 on some tracks.
I think they'll find more then one second. They already have one from the engine, and it might just be possible to find another through the aero.
#AeroFrodo

kooleracer

turbof1 wrote:

End of this season:

The W06 could set new pole records next year of they can find a 1 second in the winter. I'm that the will find a big margin. We finally could get rid of some old records that are there for the taking. A lot of the records were set in the V10 era, would be great if the W06 could be the first hybrid F1 car that is quicker then a naturally aspirated V10 on some tracks.
I think they'll find more then one second. They already have one from the engine, and it might just be possible to find another through the aero.
Also the could get free extra laptime from Pirelli is they decide to take softer compounds to some races. I hope that nexts year Pirelli tires will provide more grip. So potentially the W06 could be 2.5 faster if they do find 1sec form the engine and 1sec fromt the aero package and if Pirelli also improve their compounds for 2015.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Cold Fussion

That's fairly cherry picked though, where times in places like Spain and Singapore were ~3 seconds a lap slower than 2013.

kooleracer

Cold Fussion wrote:That's fairly cherry picked though, where times in places like Spain and Singapore were ~3 seconds a lap slower than 2013.
I'm sure that the times in Spain will get quicker in 2015. The aero package including the new nose were just introduced so I think the W05 was a lot quicker during the end of the season a lot of development was put on it. But we will see in 2015 how quick the W06 is in Spain.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Juzh

End of this season:

Doubtful any V10 record will be broken. Brazil with new tarmac maybe, but that's about it.

2013 was a slow year in ultimate pace.
W05 spain - 1:25.232
RB6 spain - 1:19.965

Kingshark

Juzh wrote:2013 was a slow year in ultimate pace.
Fuel-corrected the F2008 was even faster than the RB6 around Spain. Kimi did a 1:21.813 with 20 laps of fuel onboard, if 1 lap of fuel = 1 tenth, then fuel, corrected, that puts the F2008 on a 1:19.813

Anyway, I too am expecting the WO6 to be even faster than the Red Bulls from previous years around most circuits..

Juzh

Kingshark wrote:
Juzh wrote:2013 was a slow year in ultimate pace.
Fuel-corrected the F2008 was even faster than the RB6 around Spain. Kimi did a 1:21.813 with 20 laps of fuel onboard, if 1 lap of fuel = 1 tenth, then fuel, corrected, that puts the F2008 on a 1:19.813

Anyway, I too am expecting the WO6 to be even faster than the Red Bulls from previous years around most circuits..
We'll see.
Long way to go to get those 5s back.

SectorOne

Kingshark wrote:Fuel-corrected the F2008 was even faster than the RB6 around Spain. Kimi did a 1:21.813 with 20 laps of fuel onboard, if 1 lap of fuel = 1 tenth, then fuel, corrected, that puts the F2008 on a 1:19.813
That never really works out that simple though. Need a low fuel run to compare with another low fuel run.

One track i expect to see a new "true" lap record is Austria.

2003 Qual - 1.07:908
2014 Qual - 1.08:759 (not fully representative of the performance of the 14 cars as the Merc was quicker but Hamilton messed it all up. (he was 2-3 tenths up before last corner if i remember correctly)

So cut off 2 tenths there and you are looking at a gap of about 6 tenths give or take.
Definitely doable assuming the weather stays good.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Hail22

Mercedes AMG F1 have paid tribute to Phillip Hughes who sadly passed away last week after being felled by a bouncer (type of fast bowled delivery) at the Sydney Cricket Ground in Australia:
https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/statu ... 3759841281 Vale Phillip Hughes, a great sportsman, a devoted cattleman and a much loved son of not only his beloved family but the small rural community called Macksville in New South Wales where he was born to the world. He was taken too soon at the prime of his youth. RIP

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Moose

End of this season:

They don't necessarily need to find a second - it could be that they already found it between Bahrein and Abu Dhabi, just so did RedBull last year. If that were the case they'd break the Bahrein record with the W06 without finding anything extra, and then need to find their extra second by the end of next season.

Forza Ferrari

I have a thought an I'd like your opinion guys about this...

Concerning the engine freeze that Merc is so FIERCELY opoosed to; Mercedes entered the sport in 2010 as a team to gain more visibility than it has when "only" an engine supplier. They invested hundreds of milions to prepare this new era of hybrid f1 cars,(some say even around 1 bilion !!), they won big time this year, making the season seem very very long to all non mercedes fans, and we can be thankflu they let both driver fight for wins on track otherwise it would have been even more boring... kudos to them...

all the teams now know they won't be able to even come close to them next year, they will even extend their lead by a significant margin, and most of f1 fans begin to lose interest in the sport when the results are so predictable. A few fans already quit watching the sport...

So, by preventing others engine suppliers to have a go at them by trying to develop a bit more their engine troughout the season and by allwoing them to change more than just half of their current engine (48% rule), don't you think the general public will start to hate the brand for it's unsportsmanlike behavior ,politicaly wise at least ?
Yes, i know , every team signed the "rules book" a few years ago aggreing on this rule in particular, but now, it's obviously time for a change.
Ferrari, Renault and especially RBR are begining to make a lot of noise and to complain heavily against mercedes. sure they will again be WCC and WDC next year, but is it worth all the negative comments and publicity that comes with these wins ?
I mean, they came to F1 to represent their technology and values and show the world how good they are, it's just a massive PR stunt for them. So if the PR turns agasint them, what will they do ?
Even more so, if RBR manages to push through a complete change of reglementation for 2016, will they carry on ?

kooleracer

Forza Ferrari wrote:I have a thought an I'd like your opinion guys about this...

Concerning the engine freeze that Merc is so FIERCELY opoosed to; Mercedes entered the sport in 2010 as a team to gain more visibility than it has when "only" an engine supplier. They invested hundreds of milions to prepare this new era of hybrid f1 cars,(some say even around 1 bilion !!), they won big time this year, making the season seem very very long to all non mercedes fans, and we can be thankflu they let both driver fight for wins on track otherwise it would have been even more boring... kudos to them...

all the teams now know they won't be able to even come close to them next year, they will even extend their lead by a significant margin, and most of f1 fans begin to lose interest in the sport when the results are so predictable. A few fans already quit watching the sport...

So, by preventing others engine suppliers to have a go at them by trying to develop a bit more their engine troughout the season and by allwoing them to change more than just half of their current engine (48% rule), don't you think the general public will start to hate the brand for it's unsportsmanlike behavior ,politicaly wise at least ?
Yes, i know , every team signed the "rules book" a few years ago aggreing on this rule in particular, but now, it's obviously time for a change.
Ferrari, Renault and especially RBR are begining to make a lot of noise and to complain heavily against mercedes. sure they will again be WCC and WDC next year, but is it worth all the negative comments and publicity that comes with these wins ?
I mean, they came to F1 to represent their technology and values and show the world how good they are, it's just a massive PR stunt for them. So if the PR turns agasint them, what will they do ?
Even more so, if RBR manages to push through a complete change of reglementation for 2016, will they carry on ?
Red Bull (Vettel) dominated the tale end of the season in 2013. He got a lot of negative comments because the manner he treated Webber in Malaysia. This season has been far from boring the racing was great a lot of on track battles ( Ricciardo vs Vettel, Alonso ), (Lewis vs Rosberg the whole season) the were only 2 people in the title fight but the story line started at Australia and ended in Abu Dhabi. This was a classic season and will be remembered of on the greatest off all time in a few years. Mercedes got a lot of positive exposure from it and will continue to get positive exposure if they let the 2 drivers race like they did this year.

The fans care about racing on track and intense fighting. If Mercedes is as dominate as this year, you will hear Ferrari,Honda and Renault moan about it, but have you heard negative comments from the general public about the performance of Mercedes this year? The only thing I mostly hear is what a great car and engine they build and how impressive their performance has been. They negative comments are from the sour losers Red Bull and Ferrari because they are frustrated about their own performance.

Also 48% is enough for both manufacturers but they need more time to use all of the tokens available that is the story I have been hearing. They don't have the time to test and produce all the updates before the homologation date in February. Mercedes is not to blame for the performance of their competitors. I can't think of a sport were the competitors is in favor of letting to competition getting more competitive. If the rules allows the competitors some liberties like success ballast, or allowing extra test days etc then the most competitive teams/persons can't complain. But in F1 the rules don't allow teams that are under performing to catch-up so Mercedes is of course not going to allow that to happen. Mercedes and the rest are competitors in sport not buddy's. They should blame themselves for coming up with such strict rules. The should allowed unlimited updates for the first season so that the manufacturers could fix their issues and started the engine 'freeze' in 2015.

gray41

The first of many?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

prince

Official Honors for Champions.

After all, in the end it all feels good.

flmkane

Inspiring display of sportsmanship =D>