Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
astracrazy
astracrazy

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

De Jokke wrote:

I think your find pretty much every helmet he wears has Senna in it. As he said to sky sports he has the padding inside made green just like Senna's was (Lewis' words) He had to find a special supplier to be able to copy Ayrton.
True about the padding, but not about the helmet, it was that his dad wanted to spot him on track in his karting days (lewis' words). He admired Senna, true that, hence the padding, but the helmet is his own identity, not some copycat.
Yep

I think the indirect link is there because apparently Anthony picked yellow because Lewis liked Ayton, but i don't think Lewis continued with it for that reason but more because he started with it so young

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

alvinkhorfire
alvinkhorfire

Thanks for the info, wunderkind.
wunderkind wrote:4) Brawn began diverting resources to the 2014 W05 project early and that had some affects the 2011 and 2012 seasons.
That is why W02 and W03 were not competitive back then. If W02 and W03 were really championship-winning cars, Michael Schumacher would still be a Mercedes F1 Racer right now, in strong contention for F1 championship. [-o< Keeping him busy in F1 will not allow him much of a chance to be involved in that tragic skiing accident.

Sigh. There are just too many "what-if".

Hail22

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

astracrazy
astracrazy

alvinkhorfire wrote:Thanks for the info, wunderkind.
wunderkind wrote:4) Brawn began diverting resources to the 2014 W05 project early and that had some affects the 2011 and 2012 seasons.
That is why W02 and W03 were not competitive back then. If W02 and W03 were really championship-winning cars, Michael Schumacher would still be a Mercedes F1 Racer right now, in strong contention for F1 championship. [-o< Keeping him busy in F1 will not allow him much of a chance to be involved in that tragic skiing accident.

Sigh. There are just too many "what-if".
He would of most likely carried on skiing anyway, prob always has. You wouldn't of heard about it had it not been for the tragic accident. Mark Webber was in a championship winning car and still got injured out of the car. There adrenalin junkies....I think you'd be surprised what drivers get up to in there spare time.

most f1 drivers seem to pick up there injuries out of the car. Mark Webber, Kubica, Heikki or Kimi hurt there wrist in a ski-mobile crash etc etc.

kooleracer
kooleracer

Big news: Bob Bell has left Mercedes since December 2013. Not really a big surprise, knew that would happen they were top heavy. Also Paddy Lowe is kind off a TD so. You can't have 2 guys doing the same job from that point of view its totally understandable.

http://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/news/20 ... ouncement/
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

monsi
monsi

Nice to be on 1 year notice if you get moved on. As this happened Dec, I presume that up to now has been extended handover, and that he may well be on gardening leave from now until he formally leaves the team.

astracrazy
astracrazy

It is a shame though that there are two people who were responsible for this 2014 car yet they have moved on (or pushed unofficially) without getting to reape the rewards - I'm talking about Ross and Bob

Ross put this all into place, and bob obviously over saw the development of this car from an early stage (as he was above Geoff and Aldo)

Sevach
Sevach

kooleracer wrote:Big news: Bob Bell has left Mercedes since December 2013. Not really a big surprise, knew that would happen they were top heavy. Also Paddy Lowe is kind off a TD so. You can't have 2 guys doing the same job from that point of view its totally understandable.

Not only Paddy, Costa has been TD at Ferrari, Willis (is he still there? he's under the radar these days) was also TD at BAR/Honda.

astracrazy
astracrazy

he is yes but has a more background roll. You'll never see him at races like aldo - i don't think.

kooleracer
kooleracer

Sevach wrote:
kooleracer wrote:Big news: Bob Bell has left Mercedes since December 2013. Not really a big surprise, knew that would happen they were top heavy. Also Paddy Lowe is kind off a TD so. You can't have 2 guys doing the same job from that point of view its totally understandable.

Not only Paddy, Costa has been TD at Ferrari, Willis (is he still there? he's under the radar these days) was also TD at BAR/Honda.
Willis is still with the team. So you have 3 former TD's left so there is enough experience and knowledge left.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

elf341
elf341

I know that they stressed no internal politics at Mercedes, but it would make sense if this is a response to Paddy Lowe taking over and pushing Brawn out. After all, Lowe was brought in by Mercedes' board after a perceived lack of progress with Brawn/Bell.
My opinion's still to be made of the capability of Lowe, I do hope that this is not the start of a fall of Mercedes. I suspect the real key is keeping Aldo Costa and Geoff Willis happy.

FoxHound

Interesting newsday this!

My thanks to Bob for his hard work in getting Mercedes up and running, a good guy lost for the team.
Anyhow, Aldo Costa has weighed in on the chassis argument.
http://www.inautonews.com/mercedes-car- ... 0wQTvldX7A
There are certain corners, especially the fast ones, where Red Bull is better than us, but in other places it is us with the edge.
Adding that they are
about on par with Red Bull

And at todays Red Bull fuel flow appeal, Mercedes sent a lawyer, Paul Harris QC. Here, I'm certain this is payback for Red Bull's presence and testimony in the Pirelli test of last year in which I believe it was Horner that gave testimony.
We are, frankly, and with great respect, concerned that Red Bull have shown such a flagrant and deliberate disregard for these rules that there is a real risk they will do it again.
We are here to seek to ensure that that does not happen, we must have a level playing field going forward for the remainder of the season.We apprehend that the other teams represented here today [Lotus, Williams, McLaren and Force India] take the same view, which is why they are here today.We respectfully submit that the most effective way to ensure that Red Bull do not flount further instructions from the FIA is for this court to recognise the severity of their infringement and to impose a further sanction upon them which is to be suspended for the rest of the season, so that they are acutely aware.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113453

Certainly, it seems Mercedes and a few others are exerting as much pressure as possible. In much the same way as Red Bull have done in the past.
I wonder how Red Bull will react to this public burning....which reminds me of an absolute belting Leftfield classic sung by Johnny "rotten" Lydon.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYNeQ4i7Ne8[/youtube]
JET set

Powershift

astracrazy wrote:
De Jokke wrote:

I think your find pretty much every helmet he wears has Senna in it. As he said to sky sports he has the padding inside made green just like Senna's was (Lewis' words) He had to find a special supplier to be able to copy Ayrton.
True about the padding, but not about the helmet, it was that his dad wanted to spot him on track in his karting days (lewis' words). He admired Senna, true that, hence the padding, but the helmet is his own identity, not some copycat.
Yep

I think the indirect link is there because apparently Anthony picked yellow because Lewis liked Ayton, but i don't think Lewis continued with it for that reason but more because he started with it so young
Yellow(with green & red)for his country GrenedaImage, then added blue and white stripes of the union jack
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag