Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CHT
CHT

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

acosmichippo wrote:Honestly, I feel like the stewards should have penalized Nico, especially now with the verbiage of "deliberate" and "proving a point". There wasn't even an investigation, was there?

Mercedes won't do anything, because it'll only hurt the team. As we all know, the stewards have no problem penalizing a driver for the team's mistakes, so it should be the same vice-versa. They may hold the view that the incident was punishment enough for the team, and from a team's perspective, that's understandable. But from the drivers' perspective, Lewis' race was ruined, and Nico was not penalized at all for causing an avoidable incident. People have gotten penalized for much, much less.
What about Alonso? I think he crash into Vettel too

mrluke
mrluke

SilverArrow10 wrote:watch Hamilton cause the next crash #-o
Why? If Rosberg does a repeat performance the WDC is his. He already knows there wont be any consequences.

SilverArrow10

mrluke wrote:
SilverArrow10 wrote:watch Hamilton cause the next crash #-o
Why? If Rosberg does a repeat performance the WDC is his. He already knows there wont be any consequences.
Its a joke. Rosberg gets away with it gets 18 points then Hamilton makes a mistake crashes and gets kicked out of the next race for good measure while Rosberg gets a slap on the wrist for doing it first. Knowing Hamilton's luck that is what will happen. #-o
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

RZS10

So Rosberg got a gentle slap on the wrist after all ... "suitable disciplinary measures" ...sure ... he'll have to make Wolffs coffee in the teams motorhome in the morning as punishment or something brutal as that ... as long as Mercedes does not explain what those "suitable disciplinary measures" actually are it's all just BS
Last edited by RZS10 on 29 Aug 2014, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

SectorOne

CHT wrote:What about Alonso? I think he crash into Vettel too
What about him? He did not take Vettel out of the race, he just broke his own front wing.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

FoxHound

RZS10 wrote:So Rosberg got a gentle pat on the hand after all ... "suitable disciplinary measures" ...sure ... he'll have to make Wolffs coffee in the teams motorhome in the morning as punishment or something brutal as that ... as long as Mercedes does not explain what those "suitable disciplinary measures" actually are it's all just BS
Mercedes are not stupid.

Just have a little read through the thread to see that there are a few people who, rightly or wrongly, maintain Rosberg is not at fault.
Let me take the opportunity to just say that Mercedes like all the teams, are participating in F1 for PR.
By letting both these guys go at it, they received positive publicity.
However as it has gone awry, will Mercedes publicly state the measures they will take contra Rosberg in spite of the fact that he makes up an awful lot of the teams PR, particularly in Germany?
Of course they won't, that much is common sense.

There are only 2 ways you can do this. Either they race or they do not.
The alternative action Mercedes could've taken in light of their being no clear number 1, would've been to operate a "no racing" policy. Pole sitter takes the race win, and number 2 gets whatever else they can.
Mercedes are obliged to provide equal equipment on a "near as dammit" basis so for as I'm aware. Therefore any punitive measures could be strategic or on a warning basis.
So Mercedes themselves are limited as to what they can do, without actually getting negative PR.

So when "suitable disciplinary actions" are put forward, they will be suitable to Mercedes not Rosberg or Hamilton. Of course, Hamilton fans will want blood...and Rosberg fans will want no sanction whatsoever.

In the end, nobody will be completely satisfied whatever course of action Mercedes takes. Despite them allowing the guys to race, and the team taking one in the ass for the actions of drivers racing.
JET set

dans79

RZS10 wrote:So Rosberg got a gentle pat on the hand after all ... "suitable disciplinary measures" ...sure ... he'll have to make Wolffs coffee in the teams motorhome in the morning as punishment or something brutal as that ... as long as Mercedes does not explain what those "suitable disciplinary measures" actually are it's all just BS
the team just showed how weak management really is!
197 104 103 7

astracrazy
astracrazy

I still think this will play into lewis's hands in the long run because this will always be in toto's and paddy's minds.

Remember the interview with ted and toto after the hungry gp where ted asked did the recent bad luck play a role in you not telling lewis he had to move over and toto answered yes maybe.

this will only add to effecting these sort of decisions in the future

SectorOne

astracrazy wrote:I still think this will play into lewis's hands in the long run because this will always be in toto's and paddy's minds.
Perhaps, but it definitely played into Rosberg´s hands.

He increased the gap by 18 points, gave an apology and was then told to abide by the rule that was already set in place prior to the collision.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

dans79

SectorOne wrote:
astracrazy wrote:I still think this will play into lewis's hands in the long run because this will always be in toto's and paddy's minds.
Perhaps, but it definitely played into Rosberg´s hands.

He increased the gap by 18 points, gave an apology and was then told to abide by the rule that was already set in place prior to the collision.
Exactly... It's still early days, but it looks like his punishment was to apologize....
197 104 103 7

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

I can remember a certain pass where a German using his front wing as a weapon against a certain Britan, at Spa, under braking, oh wait it gets more ironic, the German gets back to pits and changes front wing and continues where the Britan is forced to retire. After race it was the German driver who was quoted as the clumsy driver…. Just ironic.

Anyone care to guess who ?

Edax
Edax

I wonder whether Mercedes really want Rosberg to be champion like Peter suggests.

The thing is: I don't consider Rosberg the best driver in the field. Of course we all have our personal favorites, so this is a contestable statement but purely on driving quality I would place Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton, Button and Ricciardo a notch above Rosberg.

The reason Rosberg is currently leading the champoinship is that a) all the competitors have cars which are by far inferior b) his only true competitor Hamilton has fallen behind due to "circumstances".

For next year you would expect the margin between Mercedes and the other teams to have shrunken. So then Rosberg would not only compete with his teammate but also with the other teams.

I don't think Rosberg could win that battle. I think in 2015 Mercedes needs a a top driver next to Rosberg even if he wins this years championship.

Signing a top driver might become very difficult if Rosberg wins the championship and if he wins it this way. Hamilton might be considering to head back to Mclaren, if he does I doubt that someone like Alonso, Vettel or even Ricciardo would be standing in line to take the seat.

Alonso already gets angry when his teammate drives in front of him, I'm not sure what would happen if his teammate would crash into him. He would certainly not join a team which would allow that to happen and so would most.

spinmastermic

Best solution is Toto lets his wife drive at Monza. So Nico gets punished, F1 looks good with a woman on the podium and nobody can complain because they'll be labeled sexist.

dans79

spinmastermic wrote:Best solution is Toto lets his wife drive at Monza. So Nico gets punished, F1 looks good with a woman on the podium and nobody can complain because they'll be labeled sexist.
I like It! :lol:
197 104 103 7

Morteza

spinmastermic wrote:Best solution is Toto lets his wife drive at Monza. So Nico gets punished, F1 looks good with a woman on the podium and nobody can complain because they'll be labeled sexist.
This made my day LOL! :mrgreen: :lol:
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare