Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
HairyOne

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

For some reason, they seem to be keen on throwing Rosberg under the bus at the moment and no matter how you try to dress up Toto's quotes, they are quotes.

As for Monaco, without wanting to rehash old news, at the time I didn't think Toto or Lauda went out of the ay to dispel rumours he did it on purpose, for if my memory serves me well, I think Lauda said 'to win you have to have a bit of the dog in you'. I actually think that day Lauda admired Rosberg for his actions. Obviously my opinion, but I thought the whole team didn't put too much of a fight up.

Spa seems to have really annoyed the team though, and it seems to also have shone through with Hamilton, who always seems to perform better when in a good emotional bubble; having the team apparently behind you will do that.

We'll see this weekend, but Rosberg seems a bit chastened of late.

marcush.

I´d love to see them losing the championship for fooling around with all this.
Remembering Vettel last year blatantly ignoring everything agreed with the team and stealing the win from Webber and the teams reactions to it is a far cry from what is going on in the merc camp these days.
I think thy should have delayed any sanctioning and action till mathmatically only Lewis and Nico are in position to win the driver title. so big mistake here.

quite interesting to hear Rsbergs view on the reduction of engineering input during the race ...I find this quite disturbing to know that race performance engineers of the same team are working against each other in this way....using live telemetry data to counter settings changes of the other side of the garage .

siskue2005

Interesting tit bit
No f1 driver has won the WDC without winning a gp before his 100th GP
That record was broken in 2009 when JB won he wdc, his first victory came at his 113th gp
Of 32 F1 WDC in the history of the sport only 1 has done that

And also Nico Rosberg won his first gp at his 111th gp ....could he break that record?

astracrazy

siskue2005 wrote:Interesting tit bit
No f1 driver has won the WDC without winning a gp before his 100th GP
That record was broken in 2009 when JB won he wdc, his first victory came at his 113th gp
Of 32 F1 WDC in the history of the sport only 1 has done that

And also Nico Rosberg won his first gp at his 111th gp ....could he break that record?
break what record, you have already said Button broke it? Rosberg won't be breaking anything because he won before Jenson did.

siskue2005

Sorry I have put my words poorly
Everyone considers 2009 brawn an anomaly (due to ddd) so What I meant was can he break that notion and win the wdc

i70q7m7ghw

siskue2005 wrote:Sorry I have put my words poorly
Everyone considers 2009 brawn an anomaly (due to ddd) so What I meant was can he break that notion and win the wdc
Other teams had a DDD that year (yes and at the start of the season), so what's your point?

Is 1988 an anomaly because Honda?

Richard

Driver x is rattled... driver y is fragile ... luck ...

Seriously, we're not learning anything by rehashing the same fanboy psuedo psycho analysis over and over and over. It's such a scratched record that it's not even worth putting in the fanboy ying yang thread.

*puff* its gone.

siskue2005

UPDATE: The ‪#‎SingaporeGP‬ gremlin that forced Nico Rosberg to retire in the race (explained)…
• Forensic analysis has revealed that the steering column electronic circuits were contaminated with a foreign substance.
• This occurred during our normal pre-event servicing procedures at the factory and the substance found is used as part of our standard servicing procedure.
• The relevant design has been in use since 2008 (6 seasons) without experiencing any fault.
• The contamination was not visible and did not manifest itself until Sunday as Nico went to the grid, although the steering column was used throughout the weekend and the car fired up as normal on Sunday morning.
• The result was an intermittent short circuit in these circuits.
• As a consequence Nico could not command the clutch nor change engine settings.
• The car was ultimately retired because it was unsafe to execute a pit stop without command of the clutch.
• Fresh parts will be used at the forthcoming races.
• The team has been working intensively on reliability and quality processes during 2013 and 2014 in order to improve our performance in this area and these efforts will continue at the same intensive level over the coming months
https://www.facebook.com/MercedesAMGF1?fref=nf

The Egg

Interesting... Thanks for posting.

Wonder what it could have been - seeing as it is a substance they normally use. Some kind of cleaning fluid perhaps?

SiLo

Probably a little bit of Hamiltons glove.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Felipe Baby!

Shrieker

Smells like sabotage.

:-"
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

marcush.

siskue2005 wrote:UPDATE: The ‪#‎SingaporeGP‬ gremlin that forced Nico Rosberg to retire in the race (explained)…
• Forensic analysis has revealed that the steering column electronic circuits were contaminated with a foreign substance.
• This occurred during our normal pre-event servicing procedures at the factory and the substance found is used as part of our standard servicing procedure.
• The relevant design has been in use since 2008 (6 seasons) without experiencing any fault.
• The contamination was not visible and did not manifest itself until Sunday as Nico went to the grid, although the steering column was used throughout the weekend and the car fired up as normal on Sunday morning.
• The result was an intermittent short circuit in these circuits.
• As a consequence Nico could not command the clutch nor change engine settings.
• The car was ultimately retired because it was unsafe to execute a pit stop without command of the clutch.
• Fresh parts will be used at the forthcoming races.
• The team has been working intensively on reliability and quality processes during 2013 and 2014 in order to improve our performance in this area and these efforts will continue at the same intensive level over the coming months
https://www.facebook.com/MercedesAMGF1?fref=nf

so what might be used during normal pre -event servicing proceedures as normal substance? Brake cleaner ? teflon ,silicone sprays wd40? Loctite ( :wtf: ) which ones may lead to contact issues in the singapore night as the temperatures start rising and currents go up?

high contact resistance /excessive Voltage drop might be the culprit here ...below certain limits the systems just stop working ...nobody had contact spray on hand..typical high tech blindness ..no? 90 % of electric/electronics woes are in the wiring and connectors ..

Ronac

I imagine the team is smart enough to avoid any substance that can cause damage to the wiring directly. If they were to use such a substance, they would definitely have the procedures in place to keep it from contacting anything that can be harmed.

Perhaps its possible that whatever substance they used was tasty from a rodent's perspective and there just happened to be one around to chew up the wiring.

ringo

Is probably something that absorbs moisture, and maybe with Singapore's high humidity it made matters worse.
For Sure!!

marcush.

Ronac wrote:I imagine the team is smart enough to avoid any substance that can cause damage to the wiring directly. If they were to use such a substance, they would definitely have the procedures in place to keep it from contacting anything that can be harmed.

Perhaps its possible that whatever substance they used was tasty from a rodent's perspective and there just happened to be one around to chew up the wiring.
If they were as smart as you claim they are -this would not have happened + others would have experienced the same maybe...

They have indeed spotted a substance causing the issue which is normal servicing item -so they have NOT checked for potential harm in all conditions presented to the car -i call that negligeance ,simple as that .They are plain lucky to not have lost both cars in that race .Or decifered from another point of view -why did it only affect nicos car? Is there a possibility to a slight deviation in process at nicos car (different mechanic ,different service hours of component etcetc.)

With hundreds of heads involved in car preparation quality control is not an option it is absolutely mandatory -mind you Mercedes has suffered ALOT of issues this year already on almost every area of the car..

according to motorsport total:http:
//www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news/2014/0 ... 92620.html

it was according to the source above indeed a substance to actually check the wires for cracks that caused the voltage drop ...even more astonishing to have a substance to check quality of things doing more harm than good.. brings me back to the initial claim:
with so many people involved EVERYTHING needs to be verified and double checked including the checking proceeedures...what a slap in the face of the QS team here.. maybe Automotive checks were simply transferred to the race team -forgetting in the process that automotive development parts usually receive checks at the END of testing only or when problems occor ..so there is no need to ensure a checked part remains in serviceable condition ...otherwise NDT methods are used.. sure Mercedes knows about CT ...would they really magnaflux Connectors ???

one more on the topic of checking wires NDT :

http://www.vde.com/de/fg/ETG/Archiv/Arb ... fahrt3.pdf

a bit old but basically they claim there is no real ways to be sure .. so we are back to Computer Tomography for checks