Scuderia Ferrari 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Chuckjr

Re: Scuderia Ferrari Team 2014

kaido wrote:Luca di Montezemolo will be more involved with Ferrari in Formula 1
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113479
This proves the point I originally made and was downvoted for. This MM guy is only a pawn for Monty. Nothing more. He's a figure for Monty to use to completely control the team.
Watching F1 since 1986.

diffuser

Chuckjr wrote:
This proves the point I originally made and was downvoted for. This MM guy is only a pawn for Monty. Nothing more. He's a figure for Monty to use to completely control the team.

SD did say last year that he didn't make the technical decisions. He stated he was just a manager. FA said prety much the same thing. I also think that Monty is being very carefull of his moves, cause he knows he's next....if they're his moves at all.

Cam

ecapox wrote:4 races out of 19 and you are already telling them th throw in the towel? :roll:
Ferrari are stating that themselves:
Pat Fry wrote:Our first priority," he said, "is to establish ourselves as the second best team.
I mean, if you're not here to win, why turn up at all? IMO - it's this thinking which is why there are where they are. Ferrari should focus on being the 'best team'. If they fall short, they fall short. You'll never be number 1 if you only aim for number 2. If I was in their team and heard that - I would be so deflated. Why march into battle when the generals have already given up?

Leaders can think that, they can even (should) plan for that - but never ever say it.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Cam wrote:I mean, if you're not here to win, why turn up at all? IMO - it's this thinking which is why there are where they are. Ferrari should focus on being the 'best team'. If they fall short, they fall short. You'll never be number 1 if you only aim for number 2. If I was in their team and heard that - I would be so deflated. Why march into battle when the generals have already given up?

Leaders can think that, they can even (should) plan for that - but never ever say it.
I'm sure they are there to win, but being there to win does not mean that their only goal needs to be "must win right now". Breaking a task down into smaller steps is absolutely something you need to do. Establishing themselves as the leader amongst all the teams that are 3 seconds behind Mercedes certainly seems like a very sane first step to me. After that, the next goal clearly needs to be being the only team 2 seconds slower than Mercedes, then the only team 1 second slower than Mercedes, and then on a par with Mercedes, and then finally, winning.

Chuckjr

Cam wrote:
ecapox wrote:4 races out of 19 and you are already telling them th throw in the towel? :roll:
Pat Fry wrote:Our first priority," he said, "is to establish ourselves as the second best team.
I mean, if you're not here to win, why turn up at all? IMO - it's this thinking which is why there are where they are. Ferrari should focus on being the 'best team'. If they fall short, they fall short. You'll never be number 1 if you only aim for number 2. If I was in their team and heard that - I would be so deflated. Why march into battle when the generals have already given up?

Completely agree.

Imo, Monty knows he prolly won't be able to save his job if they are still losing with the next TD. This is an effort to buy some time, take full and unobstructed control of the team, and I guess he believes he can turn it around. Maybe he thinks he will weasel his way out by blaming MM if they still are losing in two years but I think the board will sack him if he fails to bring the team back to winning. It will be interesting to see if Alonso sticks around with this plan of Monty being the lead, essentially.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Cam wrote:

You're being a bit over dramatic here. The team is only being realistic. We all know Ferrari's main goal is to win, that goes without saying. Considering where the car/team is at right now, establishing themselves as clear second best is a good reasonable goal. From there you try to overtake Mercedes.

Everyone in the paddock knows it will take time to catch Mercedes, so again, clear second best would be the first step in catching them. Even Vettel & Newey know it will take time to catch them and know it can't be done with just one update. Nothing Ferrari said was signs of them giving up, just being realistic & setting attainable goals.

MOWOG

You were down voted for having said that? Can't see that there is anything at all "technical" about your remarks. Seems rather more like you were expressing an opinion, which should not be the subject of ANY vote, either up or down. Just goes to show what a load of bollocks the forum rating system is. And i suppose I shall be down voted for saying so.

If it helps, I quite agree with you. =D>
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Ciro Pabón

Wellllllll... nobody is going to beat Mercedes. You have to be reasonable.

I fail to remember such a dominance by a team. Since 1993 nobody has won qualy, fastest lap and 1-2 race positions three times in a row.... and, lemme tell you that Williams '93 team was a heck of a team.

You may like Hamilton and Rosberg, but guys... this was the roster last time somebody showed similar advantage in a season

I might be wrong (even if I'm never wrong, of course) but nobody has won the first three races like this.

Let me say this slowly and VERY dramatically. Please, Crucial Xtreme (glad to meet you, mate), imagine the ominous, dramatic music track playing, while I whisper this over your shoulder:

Nobody... has... won... the... first... three... races... like... this... in... the... history... of... racing.

Perhaps it's the stability
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLwML2PagbY[/youtube]

The advantage of Mercedes is phenomenal. If anybody in Ferrari thinks they're gonna beat Mercedes they're crazy or very, very, very young.

Actually, here you have The First Rule of Ciro About Team Management:

"If you want to finish in second place, do not, I repeat, DO NOT fire your Team Manager before the fourth race of the season".

So, the chances of Ferrari for second place this year? I estimate they are the same as Marussia's.
Ciro

zeph
zeph

That's the best car commercial I have seen in years!
Actually, here you have The First Rule of Ciro About Team Management:

"If you want to finish in second place, do not, I repeat, DO NOT fire your Team Manager before the fourth race of the season".
I'm inclined to agree with this, but then again, stranger things have happened!

iotar__

Chuckjr wrote:
No, it's just a talk, a move to distance yourself from results and responsibility. "We are awful but I wasn't involved enough". The implication is: now it's going to change with my bigger involvement. Always blame someone/something else and divert attention to the future. Look at this brilliant part:
""The first person at being not satisfied at the moment is me, but don't worry, I'm putting myself on the line: Mattiacci is the right choice, we'll get back to winning ways very soon." Usual "I'm not happy either". You were always on the line and responsible FFS, Domenicali or Mattiacci - doesn't matter.

kooleracer
kooleracer

Does anyone know why Luca Marmorini wasn't present at today's pres-conference? All the top engine guys were present except Luca. Is he the second victim after Stefano? Can't imagine Luca to be particularly happy out the current Ferrari power-unit performance.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

munudeges
munudeges

Cam wrote:
I mean, if you're not here to win, why turn up at all? IMO - it's this thinking which is why there are where they are. Ferrari should focus on being the 'best team'.
Yep. It's the message it sends. Even if you really are fighting to be the best of the rest then it's something you don't say.

I already knew this season was a write-off when I heard James Allison talking about this year's car and I've been on record pointing that out. It's now become clear that he and the people he brought from Lotus arrived too late to do anything about it and the car was largely laid down before he got there and I knew that when I saw that suspension still on there. All they can do now is concentrate on building next year's car rather than firefighting this one. The current car doesn't have enough power and its cornering speed is lacking. Not a great combination.

Alonso, and to a lesser extent Raikkonen, have been disdainful about the effect of Domenicali going. As they've pointed out, he didn't design the car.

munudeges
munudeges

They're glory running for the new guy already. Oh dear.

CBeck113
CBeck113

Re: AW: Scuderia Ferrari Team 2014

munudeges wrote:They're glory running for the new guy already. Oh dear.
If that was the case, then they should keep doing it :-)
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

mika vs michael
mika vs michael

Should Ferrari go the Mercedes way and have 2 team bosses? Mattiacci on the commercial side and Bob Bell on the technical ala Paddy Lowe?
So the real question here is: is going Bob Bell to Ferrari?
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent