Scuderia Ferrari 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
stefan_

Re: Scuderia Ferrari Team 2014

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Crabbia

This article http://digital.motorsportmonday.com//la ... ee&pnum=10, mentions Pat Fry leaving for Williams. Is this true? First I've heard of it.

Page 13.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

Crucial_Xtreme

Crabbia wrote:This article http://digital.motorsportmonday.com//la ... ee&pnum=10, mentions Pat Fry leaving for Williams. Is this true? First I've heard of it.

Page 13.
I was just about to post this. First I've heard of it too, but it seems like a possibility since the arrival of Allison. Personally I think Allison & Fry should be able to coexist, but maybe the big bosses don't want that. Let's see if it pans out..

Pup
Pup

It seems like Fry was sidelined almost immediately after his first year in the team. I get the feeling that he either didn't impress, or didn't fit into the culture.

It was never clear exactly why he left McLaren either. Some say that Ferrari had been headhunting him for years, and finally made an offer he couldn't refuse. But there's also the rumor that he was the team member behind the racist text messages about Hamilton, and so McLaren fired him.

Crucial_Xtreme

I asked Motorsport Monday for clarification on the Pat Fry comment.

Kiril Varbanov

CBeck113

I had a strange thought after reading this comment:
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 41#p489441

What if this is Ferrari inviting Renault to submit an official request to delay the engine freeze? Nothing says "we'll give you our support" like admitting that they don't think that they are good enough. This doesn't mean that they are telling the truth, but maybe have found an improvement which will take a bit longer to implement. The fiend of your foe is...
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

mika vs michael

Ferrari was always having troubles when there was a massive rule change. Their strong card was the fact they could test so much so they gained on the development race. When testing was banned then they started having "correlation" problems.

So don't expect them to be among the frontrunners.
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

miket

Re: Ferrari F14T

Lorenzo_Bandini

Translation by Firstwatt, autosport forums
AMuS published an interesting report about Ferrari:
http://www.auto-moto...ht-8166040.html

Essentially:
Ferrari and the strange Testing strategy:
Bluff or cautiousness?

Mercedes (Costa) thinks they are as fast as the laptimes show, i.e. 1 sec slower than them. They base this on GPS measurements they have done. (Btw, how can they measure other cars with GPS????)
He says that they ran a very strange test program and that Merc could not make any sense about their program and what they were doing.

AMuS thinks that Ferrari could not use constantly the 160 HP of the MGU-K, but usually used 120 HP. All in all they speculate that Ferrari gave away 1.5s because of the conservative engine settings (I assume they mean 1.5s during long runs).
Also, rumours are that Ferrari should be marginal with consumption. It seems now confirmed that Ferrari uses the MGU-K to blip the engine at downshifting.
An Expert: "You do that when you have consumption problems".
Mercedes thinks that this is a waste of electrical energy which could be brought to better use.
Toyota disagrees, they have investigated this for their LMP1 (Le Mans) program and say that doing it electrically has no negative effects and is the best way for the gearbox.

The theory that Ferrari is sandbagging is backed up by following:
- Andy Green of Force India is sure they are sandbagging
- Example Top Speed: In the last day, Alonso reached 339,6 km/h, way faster than the competition. The associated lap was rather slow, 1:35.509, 1.2s slower than his best 1:34.280
- Same story 2 days before: Alonso 338,5 km/h, with an associated lap of 1:40.634.
- And the same the other way around: In his absolute top lap Alonso reached only 308,5 km/h, over 30 km/h slower than what was possible. The Sector times in his fastest lap were not recorded, Ferrari mentioned transponder problems.
- No other team had so many empty data points in the sector time detection. And this in every testing day. Only at the start-finish line and at top speed measurements Ferrari could not hide anything, as this is not only measured with the transponder but also by other means. There are no empty data points with those measurements.
- Adding the best sector times of Alonso, measured officially by Ferrari, the quickest lap would be 1:35.559, 1,279 sec slower than his best lap, which is a "guaranteed" time.

There are some unclear things in this report, though, but Ferrari clearly is an enigma.

Edit:
I forgot that AMuS says, Domenicali, Alonso and Räikönnen are surprisingly calm. Normally, with one second gap, the roof would already burn at Ferrari.
Also, in that interwiev when Domenicali admitted that they were behind Merc and Williams, after all microphones had been switched off, he added that the gap isn't that big and that they can close it.

Mr Alcatraz

miket wrote:Some interesting reading here :

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... 66040.html
I'd like to think that Ferrari is bluffing as that article suggests. However as it also suggests, I tend to agree that their times were slow because they ran conservative engine maps due to electronic issues. I guess we will find out soon enough!
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Snelle Eddy

Interesting, I wonder how much of this could be true. The arguments are pretty convincing, especially about the lap times. We'll have to wait until Melbourne unfortunately...

motobaleno

Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:
In his absolute top lap Alonso reached only 308,5 km/h, over 30 km/h slower than what was possible.
well, I haven't the smallest idea if ferrari is sandbagging or not (even if, this particular season with all these new stuff, it seems absurd to me to go sandbagging...) but if what is written above is true (and I really doubt it) then it's a BIG thing

siskue2005

But there's also the rumor that he was the team member behind the racist text messages about Hamilton, and so McLaren fired him.
When did this happen? Did I miss something, can u shed some light on the subject?

Kiril Varbanov