Scuderia Ferrari 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Bob Brown

Re: Scuderia Ferrari Team 2014

Ferrari team principal Marco Mattiacci says he is "preparing a different team for 2015" but declined to go into details.

Ahead of the British Grand Prix Corriere dello Sport reported that engine boss Luca Marmorini, who oversaw the design of the team's underpowered V6 power unit, had left the team. But Mattiacci, who replaced Stefano Domenicali as team boss in April, said he would not be disclosing any of his plans for the future any time soon.

"I don't have to make any announcements," he said. "The best announcements are results, those are the best announcements that a team can make. We are definitely working to improve because today [at the British Grand Prix] we were sixth, but the other side of the coin is that we are not happy to be sixth. The weekend was sweet and bitter, with a lot of emotion and positive things, but we are not happy to be sixth.

"Starting from here we need to prepare a different team for 2015. But do we need to do an announcement? No, I don't think we need to do an announcement. Do we need continuous improvement? Yes. That is our position and we don't have to make any announcement at the moment."

Asked specifically about Marmorini leaving the team, Mattiacci added: "Nobody on our side announced what you said. I don't want to point to any individual - in particular during the race weekend - but we are redesigning and enforcing the team. I don't make comments about individuals."
I want to believe in Mattiacci........ hopefully he delivers.

Also found this funny from this past weekend:

Bob Brown

... Unrelated, I do believe that a car can be suited towards one driver and not the other. Only a few teams will put their foot down and design a neutral car and let both drivers drive it like the days of McLaren past.
Last edited by Steven on 09 Jul 2014, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal and off-topic comments

bhall II
bhall II

Re: Ferrari F14T

bhall wrote:[...]

Some brilliant bastard posted that a while ago.

But, just compare the car's drivability in Malaysia to that which we saw at Silverstone. The difference is unreal.

Kiril Varbanov

Mark Hughes on Alonso's future - http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/22058 ... -in-a-flux

La Gazzetta reports that Alonso is considering contract extension to 2019.

Steven
Owner

I have moved a bunch of posts discussing Kimi's crash to the race thread.
Please mind that crashes happen during races or race weekends, so they should be discussed there, along with driver performance judgements, overtakes and the likes.

matt21

Luca Marmorini had to go. Any idea who will replace him?

charlex

Re: R: Scuderia Ferrari Team 2014

matt21 wrote:Luca Marmorini had to go. Any idea who will replace him?
yee just been fired. Lorenzo Sassi or Mattia Binotto provisional choices

Kiril Varbanov

Indeed, Mundo Deportivo and Leo Turini reports that Luca Marmorini is no longer part of the engine team. I've asked the team officially, awaiting response.

bhall II
bhall II

So, it's more or less confirmed.
grandprix.com wrote:[...]

Another upheaval is taking place at Ferrari.

Reports on Wednesday suggested engine boss Luca Marmorini has now vacated his office at Maranello.

"I give no comment," a spokesman for the fabled Italian marque had said at Silverstone last weekend.

"We are reorganising the various areas of our structure, and if we have something to announce, we will do so," he was quoted by Speed Week.

It is believed Ferrari will promote from within to replace Marmorini, who like departed team boss Stefano Domenicali looks to have paid the price for the team's disappointing start to the all-new V6 era.

Earlier reports said Marmorini's younger deputy Mattia Mariz would step in to replace him, but it is also reported that Lorenzo Sassi could get the job.

"Do we need to do an announcement? No," team boss Marco Mattiacci told Reuters recently. "Do we need to improve? Continuous improvement, yes."

Italy's Autosprint, meanwhile, claims that three little-known engineers have started work at Ferrari after switching from F1's dominant team, Mercedes.

One of them is a "young French engineer", correspondent Alberto Antonini reported.
While I agree Marmorini probably had to go, it's kinda hard for me to be mad at an engine guy who couldn't get the most out of PU regulations that emphasize practically everything but the engine.

donskar
donskar

Gilles Simon had a good run as Ferrari's engine man, but I don't think he is available.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

FoxHound

bhall II wrote:While I agree Marmorini probably had to go, it's kinda hard for me to be mad at an engine guy who couldn't get the most out of PU regulations that emphasize practically everything but the engine.
So they shot the baker cos the meat was off. Marmorini is still a decent man to have on board, not the best, but decent.
I see things are heading towards the Ferrari of the early to mid 90s, sadly.
Change for change sake is of no use, they need a shift in their culture....which I thought was stamped out during the Brawn/Byrne era. Seems to be a making a comeback...
JET set

bhall II
bhall II

I don't think it's quite that simple. Regardless of his background or expertise, it was Marmorini's job to produce a competitive power unit, and he didn't. So, his firing is justified in that sense, especially when one considers how homologation made it crucial for that component to be strong upon delivery.

But, it still sorta smacks of the same PR-driven decision that Montezemelo took when he fired Domenicali, whose fingerprints are nonetheless still all over the car, including its recent uptick in performance.

Pierce89

FoxHound wrote:
bhall II wrote:While I agree Marmorini probably had to go, it's kinda hard for me to be mad at an engine guy who couldn't get the most out of PU regulations that emphasize practically everything but the engine.
So they shot the baker cos the meat was off. Marmorini is still a decent man to have on board, not the best, but decent.
Change for change sake is of no use, they need a shift in their culture....which I thought was stamped out during the Brawn/Byrne era. Seems to be a making a comeback...
I think, that right now, with Mattiaci, its not so much a blame culture but just genuinely trying to restructure the team into a more modern organization. Mattiaci was certainly successful in streamlining Ferrari N.A. and increasing their effectiveness.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

donskar
donskar

Pierce89 wrote:
FoxHound wrote:
I think, that right now, with Mattiaci, its not so much a blame culture but just genuinely trying to restructure the team into a more modern organization. Mattiaci was certainly successful in streamlining Ferrari N.A. and increasing their effectiveness.
I agree with this. Mattiaci supposedly was NOT hand-picked by Luca, but was sponsored from levels above Luca. I see him as a change for the Scuderia -- a manager, that, is a person skilled in organization, communication, motivation -- getting the best product and highest levels of productivity out of a group and all its resources. I think Mattiaci was brought in because he has proven that he knows the management "ates."
Motivate
Educate
Communicate
Delegate
Originate
Elevate
And, as a last resort, Terminate
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

lkm9719
lkm9719

i think Mattiaci bring new management idea to the team, which may help the tradition team to upgrade and improve , as it is hardcore sport, every second count. hope the different 2015 team will be on the front to fight for champion as Kimi will leave then ( hope not ) , if Kimi leave , i will leave F1 as fan of kimi