Scuderia Ferrari 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: Scuderia Ferrari Team 2014

prince wrote:http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/08/06/ ... t-ferrari/

The new deal that Alonso is REPORTEDLY seeking, could drive anyone crazy. I guess that's the budget of Marussia or some other team for a whole season. The question really is, is it worth for Ferrari to pay so much and keep him? If I, in position of Montezemolo, is EXTREMELY CONFIDENT that my engineering team is churning out another DOG for 2015, I would definitely keep Alonso to save the face. If Scuderia Ferrari are confident of producing race winning car, they really don't have to then worry for spending so much money on one individual and should hire another top driver, of course, with lesser economic burden, who might not be an Alonso, but given the right equipment, can win races and championship.
Look at it this way.. based on what we're seeing this year..could have lotus with Fernando have won the driver's the championhip last year?

....probobly not but he would have made it close. Inmy opinion ...Lotus had a ver good car in both 2012 and 2013 but didn't have the driver to put it through.

Bob Brown

diffuser wrote:

The new deal that Alonso is REPORTEDLY seeking, could drive anyone crazy. I guess that's the budget of Marussia or some other team for a whole season. The question really is, is it worth for Ferrari to pay so much and keep him? If I, in position of Montezemolo, is EXTREMELY CONFIDENT that my engineering team is churning out another DOG for 2015, I would definitely keep Alonso to save the face. If Scuderia Ferrari are confident of producing race winning car, they really don't have to then worry for spending so much money on one individual and should hire another top driver, of course, with lesser economic burden, who might not be an Alonso, but given the right equipment, can win races and championship.
Look at it this way.. based on what we're seeing this year..could have lotus with Fernando have won the driver's the championhip last year?

....probobly not but he would have made it close. Inmy opinion ...Lotus had a ver good car in both 2012 and 2013 but didn't have the driver to put it through.
:lol: :roll:

George-Jung
George-Jung

Edit- already mentioned on the other page.. :P

Pierce89

Bob Brown wrote:
diffuser wrote:

:lol: :roll:
I don't see the humor. With Alonso driving, I could last year's Lotus winning the WDC. He's obviously DESTROYING Kim i. I mean...he's literally ripping Kimi's leg off and beating him over the head with it.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

ecapox

According to Omnicourse Luca is staying at Ferrari and will only take a role with Alihad that will not interfere with Ferrari duties.

diffuser

Interesting interview of Vanzini from SKY (who I have never heard of before today, not having access to SKY)http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/40709/ ... ettacolari

I particularly agree with:

but I think the big problem was the engine freeze after only three months of winter testing. Until last year aerodynamics you could do anything: I do not understand why this year has not been given the opportunity to develop the engines to the teams after the great revolutions regulate. Ferrari and Renault could work to improve and get closer to the Mercedes.

I'm glad someone is pointing this out. I haven't heard anyone point it out until now.

SectorOne

--- has hit the fan ladies and gentlemen.
Marmorini claims that Ferrari Chief Designer Nikolas Tombazis assured him that the power loss from the engine side would be compensated by the aerodynamic improvements made to the F14T, compared to recent Ferrari machines.

"With my colleagues I packed a Power Unit with a certain size, ie, [a] smaller version of the Mercedes and Renault, because we were asked by the project manager of the car, Mr. Tombazis.

"[They] said we want a very compact Power Unit, with small radiators, because the less power [we] will compensate with aerodynamic solutions that will guarantee us an advantage on the race cars [of] Mercedes and Renault. It's been exactly like that, except that, when we are confronted with the competition, the horsepower was less obviously, but this was not compensated by aerodynamics!"
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3148 ... odynamics/

You have to wonder what the hell teams like Ferrari and Mclaren are doing these days.
It´s like they have destroyed themselves with no help from any outside factors.

It´s amazing how they can say "yea we´ll take less horsepower and more aero" in a new formula that will have a bigger emphasis on the powerunit and less on aerodynamics. It just seems so backwards but then again i´m not an engineer.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Gaara
Gaara

How come the engine is smaller and as reported by AMuS before it's 12 kilos more than Mercedes?

iotar__

SectorOne wrote:--- has hit the fan ladies and gentlemen.
You have to wonder what the hell teams like Ferrari and Mclaren are doing these days.
It´s amazing how they can say "yea we´ll take less horsepower and more aero" in a new formula that will have a bigger emphasis on the powerunit and less on aerodynamics. It just seems so backwards but then again i´m not an engineer.
Maybe it's too hasty to draw heavy conclusions after couple of remarks? It's not a full picture, size/horse power deficit was not the only problem for Ferrari, ERS/turbine was problematic, reliability, software side and fuel (I think?), too. In rumours section: before the season Ferrari supposedly had fuel consumption advantage, judging by numbers shown during GPs it looks like it's the opposite. Without the numbers there's little to judge - how much HP purely this trade-off was worth?

Jalinier's claim was that they were simply outspent by Merc (I like it because that's what I thought earlier). Marmorini didn't mention that,why? I'd guess because someone other than Tombazis should be blamed for that and he's not that brave. Bigger budget = better/more people (market for experts on hybrids may be small) + earlier start etc.= advantage.

lio007

Quite strange, that they, or at least LdM, always wanted a F1 where the engine is more important.
LdM often stated that they don't want to to build airplanes, they want to build cars

And then to claim that a "superior" aero-design can compensate a smaller,weaker engine ... I think that's ridiculous.

lio007

Gaara wrote:How come the engine is smaller and as reported by AMuS before it's 12 kilos more than Mercedes?
I read somewhere (unfortunately I can't remember where), that Merc did a lot of R&D in materials / material design.
But I don't know, or for me it is hard to believe, if it is possible to make the PU that much lightweight.

FoxHound

lio007 wrote:
Gaara wrote:How come the engine is smaller and as reported by AMuS before it's 12 kilos more than Mercedes?
I read somewhere (unfortunately I can't remember where), that Merc did a lot of R&D in materials / material design.
But I don't know, or for me it is hard to believe, if it is possible to make the PU that much lightweight.
That would fall foul of the FIA's permissible materials in the use of engine construction.
Exotic materials are banned.
JET set

Pierce89

SectorOne wrote:--- has hit the fan ladies and gentlemen.
Marmorini claims that Ferrari Chief Designer Nikolas Tombazis assured him that the power loss from the engine side would be compensated by the aerodynamic improvements made to the F14T, compared to recent Ferrari machines.

"With my colleagues I packed a Power Unit with a certain size, ie, [a] smaller version of the Mercedes and Renault, because we were asked by the project manager of the car, Mr. Tombazis.

"[They] said we want a very compact Power Unit, with small radiators, because the less power [we] will compensate with aerodynamic solutions that will guarantee us an advantage on the race cars [of] Mercedes and Renault. It's been exactly like that, except that, when we are confronted with the competition, the horsepower was less obviously, but this was not compensated by aerodynamics!"

If I just got fired, I'd be blaming everyone else too.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

f1316
f1316

lio007 wrote:Quite strange, that they, or at least LdM, always wanted a F1 where the engine is more important.
LdM often stated that they don't want to to build airplanes, they want to build cars

And then to claim that a "superior" aero-design can compensate a smaller,weaker engine ... I think that's ridiculous.
That's what shocks me so much too. And it goes further back - to Enzo - ferrari have always had the philosophy to prioritise a big powerful engine and now, when finally given the chance to benefit from that philosophy, they consciously go the other way.

It would be one thing for merc to simply make a better engine - that's understandable, given Mercedes' resources - but for Ferrari to make a decision so contrary to their tradition is very strange.

diffuser

f1316 wrote:
lio007 wrote:Quite strange, that they, or at least LdM, always wanted a F1 where the engine is more important.

That's what shocks me so much too. And it goes further back - to Enzo - ferrari have always had the philosophy to prioritise a big powerful engine and now, when finally given the chance to benefit from that philosophy, they consciously go the other way.

It would be one thing for merc to simply make a better engine - that's understandable, given Mercedes' resources - but for Ferrari to make a decision so contrary to their tradition is very strange.
It was said that in Bahrain pre-season, Ferrari ran without the fuel restrictions to compensate for the lack of power and were still 3 tenth off of Merc. Presuming that the 6 cylinder without fuel restriction can generated the power of the Merc PU (I doubt that). 3 tenths does put you in the same ballpark..especially with all the drive-ability issues the Ferrari PU was having in pre-season..
I believe Tombazis never expected the PU power difference that we're seeing. I think Merc are using their PU in ways that Ferrari hadn't thought about doing. That Certain parts of the PU package could have been designed to get a significant increase of power without a substantial change in package size. I would expect that is why Marmorini got canned.

It's not about size..but how you use it.