Scuderia Ferrari 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
windwaves

Re: Scuderia Ferrari Team 2014

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
GitanesBlondes wrote:Too bad Ferrari didn't ditch that pull rod suspension.

Would have made a world of a difference in the sort of car that they fielded the past few seasons.
Really? Please elaborate. In 2012, the first year of the pull rod front suspension, had Fernando not been hit by RoGro in Spa and gotten tangled with Kimi in Japan, he would've won the WDC. The pull rod front suspension worked just fine in 2012. In 2013 the front pull rod was fine in China and worked really well when Fernando blitzed the field in Barcelona. It worked well in Monza too. This year the F14T was awful because of the PU, not the suspension so please explain to me how a push rod front suspension would have made a world of difference and explain what's wrong with the front pull rod to begin with, please.
OMG, give it up. You have been poisoning forums for ages with your defending Ferrari and Co. at all cost. The F14T was a disaster all around. Please stop. Everyone has been saying so forever, at Ferrari and outside, drivers and mechanics and chief designers. A complete, giant failure. The last gift from Domenicali. The PU hurts the most, of course, because it was a fantastic opportunity to regain the lost ground over years of mistakes. Good job !

Crucial_Xtreme

windwaves wrote:
OMG, give it up. You have been poisoning forums for ages with your defending Ferrari and Co. at all cost. The F14T was a disaster all around. Please stop. Everyone has been saying so forever, at Ferrari and outside, drivers and mechanics and chief designers. A complete, giant failure. The last gift from Domenicali. The PU hurts the most, of course, because it was a fantastic opportunity to regain the lost ground over years of mistakes. Good job !
Good job completely ignoring the point, but of course you did that on purpose. The fact is the pull rod front suspension isn't a problem, that's what the discussion was about. Everyone knows the F14T was a failure, nothing new there. I'm actually not quite sure what the point of your post is.. Good day sir

diffuser

CX and I don't always agree but here I think we're on the same page.
Just cause you're having front end problems ...it doesn't mean the problem is your front end. In general with performance if you change too many things at once; you run the risk of masking your problems and your fixes. Ideally you want to limit your variables and isolate. I don't remember the details but I remember reading that in one of the last 2014 pre-season tests Ferrari ran the engine with ulimted fuel pressure to see how close they could get to Merc.

Crucial_Xtreme

" although the Ferrari F14T's aerodynamic performance is believed to be quite respectable in isolation from the rest to the car, it appears still to not be the best in this area"

Link

It seems that Mark Hughes, myself and others agree that the aerodynamic performance of the F14T is solid. Not the best, not by a long shot, but solid.

GPR-A duplicate2

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:" although the Ferrari F14T's aerodynamic performance is believed to be quite respectable in isolation from the rest to the car, it appears still to not be the best in this area"

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l349 ... 30e658.jpg
Link

It seems that Mark Hughes, myself and others agree that the aerodynamic performance of the F14T is solid. Not the best, not by a long shot, but solid.
Mr. CX, can you help us understand what "SOLID" means as I am "SLIGHTLY UNEDUCATED" to understand this? Because to me at least, in this context, it sounds like a synonym of "Slightly Above Totally Inefficient". If the best driver on the grid wasn't driving this crap, it would have been lying somewhere in 8th or 9th in constructors.

windwaves

Solid is RB aero performance, for example. In spite of their horrendous engine they got to win 3, three, THREE, gp.

Ferrari's major problem was not the PU. The PU was merely the major embarrassment as they are the ones who most strongly fought for the new engines. Oooops. Alonso was right: scemi.

Ferrari main issues were the usual ones: I shall not repeat, those who know know, those who refuse to know, will continue to refute the obvious.

windwaves

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:" although the Ferrari F14T's aerodynamic performance is believed to be quite respectable in isolation from the rest to the car, it appears still to not be the best in this area"

Link

First of all you are joking right, putting yourself together with Hughes and others. You are on your own man. I do not know Mr. Hughes but please, he is just a journalist anyhow.

Now let me tell you, Kimi, Alonso, Allison, sorry, the whole F1 Ferrari team, has been saying from day one that the problems are across the board and refuse to single out the engine. Period. For the good of this forum/thread, I won't say another word on this.

Andres125sx

8th-9th is a bit exageratted, but supposing Raikonnen´s teammate scored 80% more points than Kimi, Ferrari would have been 6th at WCC, beating only STR, Lotus and the newcomers.

Even Force India would have scored more points than Ferrari with this scenario. Is this that mad? Maybe Massa´s accident didn´t affect the driver, but the car :mrgreen:

windwaves

GPR-A wrote:

Link

Mr. CX, can you help us understand what "SOLID" means as I am "SLIGHTLY UNEDUCATED" to understand this? Because to me at least, in this context, it sounds like a synonym of "Slightly Above Totally Inefficient". If the best driver on the grid wasn't driving this crap, it would have been lying somewhere in 8th or 9th in constructors.
I could not agree more.

Looking forward to seeing what Vettel can do next season. Sadly I do not expect Ferrari to be competitive for a long time, hence Vettel will have to do some magic in order to bring home some points. It will be interesting. Can he drive like Alonso did last season ? Or will he be another Kimi ?

ME4ME

I've got to agree with CW here. Ferrari's aero was pretty decent. Not as good as Redbull and Mercedes, but probably good enough for podiums. They beat (or should have) Williams on most downforce dependent tracks. I'd say their power unit, together with pretty bad mechanical grip, especially at the back of the car, was their biggest problem.

Richard

Yes Ferrari performed badly considering the resources available to the team. However it's impossible to separate the contribution of the PU and aero. So let's not resort to personal comments in trying to make an impossible argument.

What we do know is that Ferrari were the best of the Ferrari PU teams and were only beaten by the Merc and Renault works teams, plus Williams who were this year's wildcard. Ferrari trounced McLaren who have comparable resources and the best engine by far. That's the positive perspective.

On the negative side, the gap between the top 3 and the rest of the grid was huge and Ferrari appeared to be unlikely to bridge that gap. The car appeared to have diffcult handling and the PU appeared to be the worst of the three PUs. A Mercedes PU might have given them a chance of 3rd place? Perhaps having the best aero might have helped get them to 3rd? However, deficiencies in both mech and aero left them with no chance.

That's pretty much all we can say, anything else is hand wavy armchair punditry.

SectorOne

I don´t know about aero but if you can hang with the Bulls around the streets of Singapore then you´ve done something right.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Pierce89

SectorOne wrote:I don´t know about aero but if you can hang with the Bulls around the streets of Singapore then you´ve done something right.
I have to agree with S1, on this one. IMHO, to finish on the podium AT ALL with the 2014 Ferrari PU required a much better chassis than the f14t is getting credit for. I believe that with Merc PU in 2014, the Ferrari chassis would've been 120 pts ahead of the Williams.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

windwaves wrote:

Link

First of all you are joking right, putting yourself together with Hughes and others. You are on your own man. I do not know Mr. Hughes but please, he is just a journalist anyhow.

Now let me tell you, Kimi, Alonso, Allison, sorry, the whole F1 Ferrari team, has been saying from day one that the problems are across the board and refuse to single out the engine. Period. For the good of this forum/thread, I won't say another word on this.
Actually, although I have too little time and to many beers to dig out quotes, Kimi complimented the downforce as the f14t's best characteristic from the beginning, but that they also added a lot more downforce through the season. So that doesn't really jive with your version above.

Edit: Crap! sorry for the double post guys.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher