Caterham F1 team 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: 2014 Belgian GP - Spa-Francorchamps

WaikeCU wrote:Is Caterham going to introduce a totally revised front wing + nose?
Its coming, as they have found the ram rod has been susceptible to yaw in crosswinds. And the fact it will be banned for 2015. So they have lots to learn by going for a more Ferrari/Mercedes style nose that most are expected to go with for 2015.

Thunder

Re: Caterham CT-05 Renault

Speedweek reported yesterday the new Nose is coming for Spa and it will look similar to the Williams. We'll see....
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

7ka

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Photoshop.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

DannyElfman
DannyElfman

lol, it's Williams nose:

zioture
zioture

Thunders wrote:Speedweek reported yesterday the new Nose is coming for Spa and it will look similar to the Williams. We'll see....
So ... May be new nose :D

mycadcae

NEW NOSE FROM FRONT WING (CATERHAM F1)?...

Regard,
Nik Wan, Mechanical Designer, CATIA V5/ Solidworks/Autodesk Inventor/ AutoCAD

Raleigh
Raleigh

Just speculation until we see the car, we've had a lot of rumored new noses that have yet to materialize...

Be a bit surprised if Caterham was the first team to change their nose this season (not counting tweaks to existing designs)

Petroltorque
Petroltorque

Not a surprise at all since all aero flow stems from the front end. The solutions pursued by Caterham and Lotus have been particularly unsuccessful.

FW17

Surprising they are not going for the Ferrari or Mercedes as that is the direction of the 2015 rules

Petroltorque
Petroltorque

Truth be told Caterham need the fastest solution THIS year not what is mandated for 2015. I doubt that want to copy any of the concepts on the Ferrari hack.

wesley123
wesley123

You always want the fastest solution. However, just like everything something has a up and downside. What does Caterham have to gain from doing a change for this year? The chance they'll score more than two points is incredibly small, thus focussing on this year is a waste of time.

They'll put themselves in a better position by introducing updates that has effect heading into next year.

Also, the aerodynamics of the Ferrari is rated to be one of the better aero cars.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Raleigh
Raleigh

What Caterham has to gain (or lose) is $47.5 million.

Failing to take 10th will result in their losing category 1 status (worth $34 million) and receiving no prize money ($13.5 million for 10th). Sauber is currently vulnerable having scored no points, and if they keep up this record Caterham only needs 1 point (or even 2 11th places).

So Caterham desperately needs to develop towards performance for this year, because if they don't secure that 10th place the team is quite likely to go belly up.

Petroltorque
Petroltorque

Precisely Caterham need performance now or face collapse. If I remember my school boy Latin; " Post hoc ergo propter hoc."

wesley123
wesley123

Sure they need the performance, but they are still quite a bit behind with a gap I don't see them closing as they simply are lacking funds. It surprises me that Sauber is still on zero points and I think it is much more likely that Sauber scores points rather than Caterham.

I don't think spending quite a bit of money on an upgrade package is worth it. They simply do not have the resources to catch up. They are better off utilizing updates that can carry on to 2015, understanding the Renault powerplant and carrying this knowledge and experience into 2015. It generally isn't a good idea to bet on something when your chances of winning are slim.

Like said, they are simply lacking the resources to actually challenge it.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender