Caterham F1 team 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
turbof1

Re: Caterham F1 team 2014

Here's a list of some of the things impounded:
The goods include but are not limited to:
Caterham F1 test car (2013)
Caterham F1 car parts (due for Japan 2014)
Full size 6 DOF motion platform F1 simulator
Caterham F1 steering wheels
F1 wheels with tyres
High quality drilling & machining equipment
Caterham & Lotus F1 memorabilia
Various pit lane equipment including jacks, pumps and starters
TVs, monitors and other goods and equipment
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news ... s-move-in/

So they also impounded parts specifically for japan. Looks like they can forget about their new wing.

It also looks like Caterham could only race because that most of their operational equipment is abroad, beyond the reach of the bailiff. If any crucial part was at the factory, they probably could forget about racing.
#AeroFrodo

bill shoe

The Caterham press release talks of unfounded rumors because the particular business entity that owns the F1 entrance license is not affected, only a "supplier". But it turns out the supplier really owns the bulk of the team and employs most of the people.

Caterham saying this situation is OK is like a stage-4 cancer patient saying they are healthy because they got a legal name change.

On a less-quipy note, it's a difficult situation for the team members on the road. They don't know if they will get paid, and they don't know what they're coming home to, but they have to decide if they stay with the team and give it several more weeks of service.

ScottB

turbof1 wrote:Here's a list of some of the things impounded:
The goods include but are not limited to:
Caterham F1 test car (2013)
Caterham F1 car parts (due for Japan 2014)
Full size 6 DOF motion platform F1 simulator
Caterham F1 steering wheels
F1 wheels with tyres
High quality drilling & machining equipment
Caterham & Lotus F1 memorabilia
Various pit lane equipment including jacks, pumps and starters
TVs, monitors and other goods and equipment

So they also impounded parts specifically for japan. Looks like they can forget about their new wing.

It also looks like Caterham could only race because that most of their operational equipment is abroad, beyond the reach of the bailiff. If any crucial part was at the factory, they probably could forget about racing.
But as they were impounded yesterday, surely they'd never have made it to Japan in time? Unless it's just duplicate parts of the Japan upgrade?

turbof1

Teams often bring updates at the last second through personal luggage. Mclaren did this too for Suzuka back in 2010.
#AeroFrodo

xpensive

turbof1 wrote:Teams often bring updates at the last second through personal luggage. Mclaren did this too for Suzuka back in 2010.
Like Caterhams new front wing then?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

turbof1

xpensive wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Teams often bring updates at the last second through personal luggage. Mclaren did this too for Suzuka back in 2010.
Like Caterhams new front wing then?
Probably. The list mentionsparts specifically for this race, so I assume the new wing or its parts got impounded.
#AeroFrodo

xpensive

Naah, I think it will be carried in personal suitcase? :wink:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

FW17

what has not been hidden is the fact that Colin Kolles is not a director of Caterham Sports Ltd, but that his father - Colin Kolles Senior - is. It is a small detail, but one that has raised eyebrows.

=D>

Manoah2u

So caterham stated in a reaction to Sky asking about the 'impounding' of certain 'assets' of caterham that Caterham's priority isn't these things, but their importance is with the 'Grid entry', and that they need 2 cars on the grid for this 'grid entry'.
Thus, all else is 'expendable'.

Having a real HRT-dejavu here. Drivers paying for their seat, or, a team paying for a seat (Ricciardo). I read nearly 200.000 pounds are paid for a session in the caterham. This would equal 800.000 at the end, and i've heared about having a 1 million figure of debt. So It can be quite certain Caterham is just trying to keep 2 cars on the grid untill the last race, perhaps they'll even get out, do a lap, and enter the pits for the next race.

What's the goal? I'd be assuming there is zero confidence about caterham on the 2015 grid, not even from themselves. HRT did a last-year image repair too, so why wouldn't caterham with more financial backup. I'd say caterham is after selling their grid entry for 2015, including a more or less pre-developed car for 2015.

So, what options do they have for selling their grid entry? to whom would it be of interest, who would buy that, and why?

Brabham?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

FW17

There is actually no need to develop a new car for next year. They can keep running this years car with a new nose cone for next year. If they find some cash then they could do a deal with either torro rosso or red bull for this years chassis as it is allowed for next year (i suppose). Their chances of getting sainz jr for next year has totally dropped with the vettel news

HRT's issue was the entry and the debt was by one team and it collapsed. If caterham has issues with parts for the last few races then it is an indicator that the they are not going to 2015 for them. But I think CK would not have come onboard for just half a season.

Petroltorque

I think a fact check is necessary. When HRT folded it had nothing to do with Kolles. HRT in 2012 was under the management and I use the term loosely, of a venture capitalist outfit who's knowledge of F1 would not fit a postage stamp.
AFAIK customer cars in any form is absolutely outlawed under the FIA regs. There was a suggestion of allowing more common parts under a budget cap proposal but I think that was thrown out as well. So for 2015 you run what you brung!

Manoah2u

Petroltorque wrote:I think a fact check is necessary. When HRT folded it had nothing to do with Kolles. HRT in 2012 was under the management and I use the term loosely, of a venture capitalist outfit who's knowledge of F1 would not fit a postage stamp.
AFAIK customer cars in any form is absolutely outlawed under the FIA regs. There was a suggestion of allowing more common parts under a budget cap proposal but I think that was thrown out as well. So for 2015 you run what you brung!
t who's knowledge of F1 would not fit a postage stamp
quote of 2014 for the win.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Raleigh

Petroltorque wrote:AFAIK customer cars in any form is absolutely outlawed under the FIA regs. There was a suggestion of allowing more common parts under a budget cap proposal but I think that was thrown out as well. So for 2015 you run what you brung!
My knowledge of the matter is that the team only needs to hold all rights for the car to be able to use it...

In theory this would allow one team to sell another their car from the previous year so long as all rights are transferred (and these rights aren't needed for parts of the current car)

zzed_41

Update:Cars were shipped to the Kolles-Kodewa facility after Russian GP instead of Leafield...

Moose

The Caterham F1 Team press office has issued a very specifically worded statement – ‘There have been unfounded and unsubstantiated rumours concerning actions against 1MRT, the entrant and owner of CaterhamF1.

An action was threatened yesterday against a supplier company to 1MRT. This company is not owned by 1MRT and it has no influence over the entry of CaterhamF1 or the entrant.
They're being very careful with their words there. Note 1MRT is the entrant, 1MRT have the entry, CaterhamF1 owns the cars. The way I read that is that the supplier in question is CaterhamF1, and that indeed, collecting CaterhamF1's debts doesn't affect 1MRT's entry into the F1 championship (it just might affect their ability to field a car at a later date).