Mclaren Mercedes 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
aral

Re: McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

gary123 wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bs5u1EkIQAAnhu4.jpg

Why did they use the gearboxes for six consecutive races?
I suggest that you read the notice.

bauc

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

KingHamilton01 wrote:Magnussen coming in for praise today, rightly so improving very nicely under the guidance of Boullier.
Yes he did extract the maximum of the car and showed Button that you just need to keep pushing and stop complaining over and over again
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

KingHamilton01

I think McLaren's stratergy was poor with Button today, up to 6th at the start and finished 8th! not really good enough imo, shame with regards to Magnussen as we did't get to see what he was capable of thank's to massa who never does anything wrong and blamed Magnussen for that incident. I agree with brundle's take that he is blameless as he had the inside line and massa just cut across him. Anyway a weekend to forget for McLaren onto the next one.
McLaren Mercedes

CjC
CjC

A weekend to forget maybe but there is cause for optimism surely?
Just a fan's point of view

basti313

CjC wrote:A weekend to forget maybe but there is cause for optimism surely?
The car is good. FRIC ban helped a lot.
I do not want to start a discussion about the first corner incident, but with Massa leaving some space Magnussen will finish somewhere between P4 and P5.
Button is the problem, Magnussen had MUCH more pace even with the damaged car fighting through the field.
Don`t russel the hamster!

the EDGE

basti313 wrote:
I do not want to start a discussion about the first corner incident, but with Massa leaving some space Magnussen will finish somewhere between P4 and P5.
Button is the problem, Magnussen had MUCH more pace even with the damaged car fighting through the field.
True but Kevin had all day Friday to play with the new wing, quali has never been Jensons strong point but he usually moves forward in the race, I think Mclaren just got his stratorgy wrong TBH, changing tyres so late was counter productive to his race time. Let's hope Kevin continues to shine

F1 addicted

basti313 wrote:
Magnussen didn't have a damaged car and
http://macofan.com/en/index.php?page=ch ... 0Magnussen
So stop hating

CjC
CjC

No I don't agree that Kmag had damage either.
My optimism is that the car is improving, there's confidence in boullier's voice and Kmag is looking stronger and stronger, he rinsed button on pace this weekend, he'll either keep it up or button will resurge.
Just a fan's point of view

F1 addicted

Jenson Button account ‏@JensonButton

After watching the race back think I overreacted with my feelings about Lewis's move. I can understand why he thought I was giving him room.

Such a gentleman

beelsebob

gary123 wrote:
CjC wrote:Isn't that how long they need to run a box for? As I recall they haven't DNFed for awhile so haven't been able to break the sequence.
They have to run the same gearbox for 5 consecutive races. They did it for 6. This is what i dont understand-
Plausibly because they had a new design that wasn't ready at Silverstone. Merc for example changed their gearbox design at Austria.

iotar__

F1 addicted wrote:Jenson Button account ‏@JensonButton

After watching the race back think I overreacted with my feelings about Lewis's move. I can understand why he thought I was giving him room.

Such a gentleman
Another driver whipped into lukewarmness by team's PR requirements. Firstly they say what they think then they are scolded like children. You can't say anything even slightly controversial, Lewis might feel offended and might not want to come back to us someday, apologise nicely. "Why can't we have characters like in the 70s?" ugh. I remember Perez "changing" his opinion about Button incident.

rifrafs2kees

iotar__ wrote:
F1 addicted wrote:Jenson Button account ‏@JensonButton

Such a gentleman
Another driver whipped into lukewarmness by team's PR requirements. Firstly they say what they think then they are scolded like children. You can't say anything even slightly controversial, Lewis might feel offended and might not want to come back to us someday, apologise nicely. "Why can't we have characters like in the 70s?" ugh. I remember Perez "changing" his opinion about Button incident.
I cringe when I read your posts. Must you be so negative and biased? Most people, including Jenson, thought it looked like an open door.

JimClarkFan

This is what frustrates me about Mclaren. They have a budget which is maybe x2 that of Williams, and yet they are behind, conceivably Force India are better as well.

If your R+D department is going down a black hole, and it seems they are (two years of bad cars for Mclarens standards) then why don't you just copy.

Get rid of the fancy suspension, and the novel concepts, and instead copy the basic chassis of Merc, or Red Bull and then piece by piece add the novel thinking.

They have not been approaching their car scientifically, a scientific approach would be changing of a single components week in week, year in year out, until those incrementally improvements evolve into something brilliant. A scientific is not re-imaging how an F1 car should look and feel without trialling it in the field.

JDC123

JimClarkFan wrote:This is what frustrates me about Mclaren. They have a budget which is maybe x2 that of Williams, and yet they are behind, conceivably Force India are better as well.

If your R+D department is going down a black hole, and it seems they are (two years of bad cars for Mclarens standards) then why don't you just copy.

Get rid of the fancy suspension, and the novel concepts, and instead copy the basic chassis of Merc, or Red Bull and then piece by piece add the novel thinking.

They have not been approaching their car scientifically, a scientific approach would be changing of a single components week in week, year in year out, until those incrementally improvements evolve into something brilliant. A scientific is not re-imaging how an F1 car should look and feel without trialling it in the field.
Copying other teams ideas means you will only be several weeks behind them by the time you have developed and tested the parts, meaning you would never actually close the gap. McLaren, in the past few seasons have been very good at developing the car. These recent upgrades; from mangnussens quali pace seem to have worked really well, the race result just didn't show that. Hungary should show the true progress of the car.

Lazy

CjC wrote:No I don't agree that Kmag had damage either.
My optimism is that the car is improving, there's confidence in boullier's voice and Kmag is looking stronger and stronger, he rinsed button on pace this weekend, he'll either keep it up or button will resurge.
He may have had the pace in Q but JB was miles faster in the race, check out the head to head posted above.