Mclaren Mercedes 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mikeerfol

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

McLaren's MP4-29 a 'laboratory' for next year - Boullier http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport ... 70611.html

I believe someone here mentioned that McLaren would use their own ERS, here are Boullier's comments
When asked if McLaren would continue to push this season with work for a "different car" required for Honda next year, Boullier said: "Yes, but if you remember the regulations, the pick-up points are the same for chassis and gearbox. We are developing the car and we are going to keep developing the car for a long time, actually. Most of the upgrades from this car will be carried over to next year's car so that's why we are using this car as a laboratory for next year."

When it was put to Boullier that his earlier answer meant McLaren would retain its current battery and Energy Recovery System (ERS) layouts will be similar to this year, he replied: "No, it doesn't mean anything like this. To finish the other question, at Spa we have a significant upgrade and another one in Singapore."

the EDGE
the EDGE

mikeerfol wrote:McLaren's MP4-29 a 'laboratory' for next year - Boullier http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport ... 70611.html

I believe someone here mentioned that McLaren would use their own ERS, here are Boullier's comments
When asked if McLaren would continue to push this season with work for a "different car" required for Honda next year, Boullier said: "Yes, but if you remember the regulations, the pick-up points are the same for chassis and gearbox. We are developing the car and we are going to keep developing the car for a long time, actually. Most of the upgrades from this car will be carried over to next year's car so that's why we are using this car as a laboratory for next year."

When it was put to Boullier that his earlier answer meant McLaren would retain its current battery and Energy Recovery System (ERS) layouts will be similar to this year, he replied: "No, it doesn't mean anything like this. To finish the other question, at Spa we have a significant upgrade and another one in Singapore."

Well the articles poor grammar is confusing to say the least, but I take that to mean we could see a change to the internal layout of the 29 this year which would also result in changes to the engine covers and side-pods too

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

New floor, new diffuser, new RW and ner FW for Mclaren at Spa according to Omnicorse.
Also, they are prepearing a chassis to test the Honda engine in tests at Abu-Dhabi in November 2014.

Source: http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/40660/ ... do-al-2015

mikeerfol

mclaren_mircea wrote:New floor, new diffuser, new RW and ner FW for Mclaren at Spa according to Omnicorse.
Also, they are prepearing a chassis to test the Honda engine in tests at Abu-Dhabi in November 2014.

Source: http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/40660/ ... do-al-2015
Nice! Also, that chassis will be from early season and won't have the current upgrades so there's no point looking at the pace of the Mclaren in that test, just the potential of engine and hybrid systems.

akshat21
akshat21

I thought McLaren (or Honda, cant remember) said that they won't be testing the engine in the Abu Dhabi test...

I remember reading that they are going to run the engine in McLaren at the first test and not before that...

adrianjordan

akshat21 wrote:I thought McLaren (or Honda, cant remember) said that they won't be testing the engine in the Abu Dhabi test...

I remember reading that they are going to run the engine in McLaren at the first test and not before that...
Maybe they changed their mind...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

akshat21
akshat21

Found the article... Arai had dismissed speculation that they will run the engine in a modified Mclaren.

LINK

akshat21
akshat21

adrianjordan wrote:
akshat21 wrote:I thought McLaren (or Honda, cant remember) said that they won't be testing the engine in the Abu Dhabi test...

I certainly hope so..

mikeerfol

akshat21 wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:

I certainly hope so..
Or they're bluffing :P

RagingBullx
RagingBullx

Who the **** would want to drive for Mclaren at the moment anyway? Dennis and Boullier don't seem to be endearing themselves to the driver community, insinuating they are responsible for the state of the team very publicly in a similar fashion to the way Ferrari did to Alonso and Massa. Talking about "refreshing" their lineup in a couple of years anyway! Hamilton wouldn't, Alonso wouldn't, Button should have a go at Rallycross, the poisonous environment at Macca is killing him, Vettel might fancy it but realistically Red Bull has the better car, Massa and Bottas wouldn't with a better car, even Force India are beating Macca. And realistically who do Mclaren need in a period of development and change? The management need to stop acting like dic*s and foster some team spirit.
Rant over, lying in bed with the effing norovirus!

Avocado
Avocado

RagingBullx wrote:lying in bed
That's good, stay there and don't come back.

diffuser

RagingBullx wrote:Who the **** would want to drive for Mclaren at the moment anyway? Dennis and Boullier don't seem to be endearing themselves to the driver community, insinuating they are responsible for the state of the team very publicly in a similar fashion to the way Ferrari did to Alonso and Massa. Talking about "refreshing" their lineup in a couple of years anyway! Hamilton wouldn't, Alonso wouldn't, Button should have a go at Rallycross, the poisonous environment at Macca is killing him, Vettel might fancy it but realistically Red Bull has the better car, Massa and Bottas wouldn't with a better car, even Force India are beating Macca. And realistically who do Mclaren need in a period of development and change? The management need to stop acting like dic*s and foster some team spirit.
I agree... with the best engine in f1, They're not even a distant 3ird in the constructors. How bad is there chassis for that to happen?

I can't help but expect they'll take a step backawd next year. I can't imagine Honda being able to be as Reliable as Merc out of the gate.

Not to mention Renault/Ferrari will have far improved engines with already better chassis and aero.

trinidefender
trinidefender

diffuser wrote:
RagingBullx wrote:Who the **** would want to drive for Mclaren at the moment anyway? Dennis and Boullier don't seem to be endearing themselves to the driver community, insinuating they are responsible for the state of the team very publicly in a similar fashion to the way Ferrari did to Alonso and Massa. Talking about "refreshing" their lineup in a couple of years anyway! Hamilton wouldn't, Alonso wouldn't, Button should have a go at Rallycross, the poisonous environment at Macca is killing him, Vettel might fancy it but realistically Red Bull has the better car, Massa and Bottas wouldn't with a better car, even Force India are beating Macca. And realistically who do Mclaren need in a period of development and change? The management need to stop acting like dic*s and foster some team spirit.
I agree... with the best engine in f1, They're not even a distant 3ird in the constructors. How bad is there chassis for that to happen?

I can't help but expect they'll take a step backawd next year. I can't imagine Honda being able to be as Reliable as Merc out of the gate.

Not to mention Renault/Ferrari will have far improved engines with already better chassis and aero.
Honda get to learn from the mistakes of other teams this year and can do all the testing they want during the year in a test mule or on dyno's or what have you so maybe they might be a bit down on power but I don't see them being out of the running concerning reliability. Not to mention I am sure they are working hand in hand with Mobile 1 developing a new fuel dedicated for that engine.

People keep saying that this year McLaren are doing crap with this years engines but remember Mobil 1 who provides McLarens fuel does not have constant access to the engine and various sources including McLaren themselves say they are down by about 30 hp compared to the Petronas/Mercedes combination.

It seems like the power output that McLaren get out of their engine puts them much closer to the Ferrari or Renault power unit levels. If this is the case then their aero clearly as weak as people make it out to be.

lio007

Mark Tatham, Design Team Leader, is responsible for the design and development of the Energy Storage System for the Honda 2015 F1 Power Unit.

...so it seems, McLaren develops components of the Honda-PU.

Sasha
Sasha

Honda,IHI and Magneti Marelli is working on the ERS.

With Gilles Simon looking over each parties shoulder.

Mclaren just working on the ESS.