Williams F1 Team 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AnthonyG

Re: Williams Mercedes F1 Team 2014

Holm86 wrote:I hate team orders. No one should give way for anybody. I have huge respect for Massa not to follow orders.
Not letting eachother trough, certainly at the beginning of a race is the most stupid thing you can do. If I were teamboss, I would have none of it, teamresult comes first, individual second and will point itself out.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Holm86

AnthonyG wrote:
Holm86 wrote:I hate team orders. No one should give way for anybody. I have huge respect for Massa not to follow orders.
Not letting eachother trough, certainly at the beginning of a race is the most stupid thing you can do. If I were teamboss, I would have none of it, teamresult comes first, individual second and will point itself out.
It was not in the beginning but at the end of the race Massa was told to let Bottas by. If I were a driver my personal results would be my main priority. Team results second. Unless it was at the end of the season and I couldn't win the championship myself but my team mate had the chance. But seriously, team orders at the second race of the season?? No way I would follow that.

Sevach
Sevach

Radio from last sunday.

marcush.
marcush.

Felipe did what he needed to do.No Sense to have this again...with exactly the Same words as well...if You Start to be too generous ..Vettel stole the Win from Webber Last Year and got away with it...
If Massa wanted a cosy Last Season he'd be at ease to Wave the other chap by.Massa Sees Himmelfahrt as Team Leader and will Act as such.
Last edited by marcush. on 01 Apr 2014, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

arianos
arianos

Williams sells hybrid power subdivision. This is a sign of financial dificulties? Also Jean Todt commented about strugling financially teams including Williams. Any idea on this years budget?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Despite the fact Massa did a good run, earned himself a good spot, and though i think it's a bit harsh and cold
to get massa the same treatment as he got a ferrari - especially using the exact same words - massa did not
do himself nor the team much good here.

I've noticed Massa only cares about number one, and that's not how a team works. He has a solid point about his
own WDC possibilities and position. Even though with Merc going as they are, that's a long run. But face the facts;
Bottas is already in front of him in the WDC by 8 points.

Bottas came all from the back and had much more speed than massa, and if you look at his race and laps, him
overtaking the Mclaren is - despite not being easy - a definate possibility, whilst at the same time, Massa wasn't
fighting the Mclaren at all.

If Massa went aside, first of all, there would be no loss for the team - yes, there would be points loss for Massa.
But Williams could have gained precious points if Bottas managed to overtake Button. That'll play dividend in the
end of the season - there's a fee depending on final WCC position which i'm sure Williams is keen to get as high
as possibile.

Only argument really worth defending Massa imho would be; if Bottas is so much faster, then he can pass me on his own power. And that didn't happen. But then, if Massa feels he is so deserving for getting points, why didn't he attack Button to gain 2 more points and pass Kimi in the standings?
And Massa shouldn't cry like a baby when Bottas attacked him in the early stages. Bottas has the same right as Massa to get position. Bottas got a team order for Massa that was keen to cry when he got under pressure from Bottas. Highly unreasonable to be happy with team orders for your teammate to hold down, but not for yourself when you get the same order.

Nevertheless, Massa did a good job and the presence of MAssa in the team is positive for the team, Bottas seems to have new fire in him, he seemed grey and bored paired with Pastor, but now with Massa, he seems to have a much bigger drive for action. Much more confident, too. Good for Valterri.

About Williams though; either the other teams gained a lot of progress, or williams took a slight step back - they were nowhere near their level in Australia. Be interesting to see what happens in Bahrain.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

they'd have a lot more money if they'd just start selling their martini/williams gear already...

Sevach
Sevach

acosmichippo wrote:they'd have a lot more money if they'd just start selling their martini/williams gear already...
Very true.

Anyway, i wonder what kind of bussiness Williams is gonna get involved now.

Compete with Dallara in making competition chassis?
Road car division?

Moxie
Moxie

Manoah2u wrote:Despite the fact Massa did a good run, earned himself a good spot, and though i think it's a bit harsh and cold
to get massa the same treatment as he got a ferrari - especially using the exact same words - massa did not
do himself nor the team much good here.

I've noticed Massa only cares about number one, and that's not how a team works. He has a solid point about his
own WDC possibilities and position. Even though with Merc going as they are, that's a long run. But face the facts;
Bottas is already in front of him in the WDC by 8 points.

And Massa shouldn't cry like a baby when Bottas attacked him in the early stages. Bottas has the same right as Massa to get position. Bottas got a team order for Massa that was keen to cry when he got under pressure from Bottas. Highly unreasonable to be happy with team orders for your teammate to hold down, but not for yourself when you get the same order.

While I tend to agree that Massa cannot have it both ways, this is the F1 world we are talking about and indeed he can. I remember the days when Senna's teammate might have to trade cars simply because he thought it was faster. More recently we saw Vettel and Webber in the "multi 21" incident, with no negative consequences for Vettel. Massa has good reason to consider himself the #1 driver, and with his long history of playing second fiddle at Ferrari, at this stage of his career he should expect nothing less. And believe it or not this is all a good thing. Massa proved that he is not just a driver, he is a racer, and Williams needs that.

We will never know the details of Massa's contract, but I bet that he would not have signed any contract that required him to follow team orders in regards to giving up a position to a teammate. She wanted Massa and she got him. Now the best she can do to manage the situation is to say "race on boys, but which ever one of you causes an interteam crash never races for Williams again."

.poz
.poz

i rember Patrick Head talking about "death of motorsport" after Ferrari team order in 2002 Austrian GP....

Holm86

.poz wrote:i rember Patrick Head talking about "death of motorsport" after Ferrari team order in 2002 Austrian GP....
Patrick Head is not involved with Williams since 2011.

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Smedely to join Williams soon. Hope his expertise can atleast see them score higher

MOWOG

F1 legend Sir Stirling Moss says he would have behaved just as Felipe Massa did in the Malaysian grand prix. While some sided with the Brazilian in the wake of his tenure as Ferrari 'number 2', others referred to the long history of 'team orders' in formula one.

But although cited as a player and proponent of F1's 'team orders' history, 84-year-old Briton Moss said he too would have refused to let Valtteri Bottas past at Sepang. Told by Motorsport Magazine that he surely would have given up the position, Moss answered: "Not a chance, boy.

"If it's not written into the contract that you must let your teammate through, you're racing him as much as anyone else on the track -- and if it were in the contract I wouldn't sign it," he added. "I only made an exception for one person and that was for (Juan Manuel) Fangio and out of respect."

Moss said Williams was not justified in telling Massa to give up a position so early in a world championship campaign. "There might be other grounds, later in the season if only one of you has a shot at the title -- but this was race two!" he exclaimed. "In his shoes I'd have done exactly the same as Massa."

Via GrandPrix.com
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Williams had to modifiy the @Martini_drinks logo on the FW36 because alcohohl advertising is banned in Bahrain.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

completely offtopic : I'd like kimi on the podium and use his characteristic approach to 'comment' on the alcoholless champagne (not champagne actually offcourse)... :mrgreen:

Anyway, just a little question regarding sponsorship - I know ferrari has sometimes been having some 'conflicts' about their liveries/logo's on the car - mainly because Marlboro indirectly still sponsors Ferrari and they're 'sneaky' showing a color sheme and logos' that arent instantly and directly like the Marlboro logo, but still the involvment is clear as day.

Because of that, Ferrari had some 'conflicts' i remember in the past.

This actually raises a bit of a question for me regarding the alcohol sponsorship in non-accepted countries like bahrain.
I know force india and obviously williams 'play' around with words so they're not directly accountable for running 'alcohol sponsorship'.

However - why would an issue be made about cigarette brands and not the same about alcohol brands?

despite there's 'racing' there, it's no doubt it's martini.

so on what basis is it possibile for williams to run the martini looks on the car, but ferrari couldn't run marlboro looks on their car? any rules for that?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"