Lotus F1 Team 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
threep

Re: Lotus F1 Team 2014

I don't think Lotus would have chosen to miss Jerez if they had a choice, there are always problems getting new cars to work correctly and that was never going to be more true than this year. The ground they've lost to the other Renault powered teams is for sure less than they would have anticipated. However the ground lost to the Merc and Ferrari powered teams is consequently greater.

piast9

I just wonder if Lotus knew about this problem long time ago and that's why they didn't bother to show up at Jerez. They were right saying that they would not suffer much by missing first test, at least in comparison with another Renault powered teams.

skoop

langwadt wrote:
skoop wrote:would that even be possible design wise? i guess the mounting points would be completly different
5.3.5 Power unit mountings may only comprise six M12 studs for connection to the survival cell and
six M12 studs for connection to the transmission. All studs must be used and may be fitted on
the survival cell, power unit or transmission. The installed end of the studs must be M12 and
the free end may be a different diameter.
The mounting faces of the studs for connection to the survival cell must lie on the forward of
the two planes described in Article 5.3.4 and be located at Y215/Z15(2), Y340/Z260(2) and
Y175/Z420(2).
The mounting faces of the studs for connection to the transmission must lie on one vertical
plane normal to the car centre line and be located at Y100/Z15(2), Y150/Z140(2) and
Y255/Z345(2).
A tolerance of +/- 0.2mm will be permitted on all of the above dimensions, all dimensions
refer to the centre of the studs.
The distance between the two planes is fixed at 480mm (+/-0.2mm).
Any part which provides an additional load path from the survival cell to the gearbox, with a
connection to the power unit, may only do so if this is incidental to its principal purpose.

oh, thank you :)
i think they are going to work pretty much on cooling right now. maybe they'll come with a special conversative cooling design to first bahrein test? just to make sure to get any km before melbourne

FW17

Joe Saward

Multiple sources are reporting that there are redundancies at Lotus F1 Team in Enstone, with around 30 staff being laid off as the team tightens its belt.

May be Flavio should come back, get some shady money back into the business.

stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Kiril Varbanov

Sochi 2014: Lotus apologize for 'two men kissing' tweet - http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula-one/26098800

stefan_

Sneak peak at how the Lotus 2014 caps will look like:
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Holm86

RicME85

Olivier Quesnel, the former Citroen World Rally boss, is weighing up an offer to take on a senior management role at the Lotus Formula 1 team.
from Autosport

turbof1

So I guess I owe the Lotus team an apology. Not only did they hire off a track for their own, which I believe all in all was more costly then joining the official 4-day test, but they also got better running then any other renault-engined team. Lotus has to be thinking "guess who's laughing now?".

Good job Lotus.
#AeroFrodo

CBeck113

I thought that Caterham did more laps? The 600+ km weren't done by RB or STR...
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Holm86

turbof1 wrote:So I guess I owe the Lotus team an apology. Not only did they hire off a track for their own, which I believe all in all was more costly then joining the official 4-day test, but they also got better running then any other renault-engined team. Lotus has to be thinking "guess who's laughing now?".

Good job Lotus.
Dont be too quick. Look at this article.

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/4779 ... _at_Jerez/

turbof1

The arguments made in that article are questionable at best - first of all I doubt any renault team ran at full power at the official test. Renault also issued an official statement, on autosport.com, where they stated to have tested solutions with Lotus during the 'promotional event'. The updates on the engine solved the reliability issues they encountered during the 4-day test.

Second of all such promotional events always have be abused to test one thing or another. Mercedes did it before the Jerez test, and in previous years we had uncountable events like these. It's tolerated, so there no reason to go b*tch about "breaking the spirit of the rules".

To be clear: no bad words to you, Holm. It's the article that is in my eyes rubbish.
#AeroFrodo

danielk

Agree that teams use these things as filming events, but Mercedes, you can see it was following a filming car around allot of the time, so at least they were doing some filming :D There is no doubt Mercedes were using the event for filming purposes. However i expect the main reason for running was to shake down the car.

An effort should have been made by lotus to at least make it look like a filming event :D

to me though the writer of the article is trying to make a story, BUT, i do believe that the test didnt go as swimmingly as they suggest. Renault and lotus have taken a beating as of late, and the last thing they need is stories of more problems so i wouldn't be surprised if a few lies were told about their perfect day of running.

iotar__

Holm86 wrote:
turbof1 wrote:So I guess I owe the Lotus team an apology. Not only did they hire off a track for their own, which I believe all in all was more costly then joining the official 4-day test, but they also got better running then any other renault-engined team. Lotus has to be thinking "guess who's laughing now?".

Good job Lotus.
Dont be too quick. Look at this article.

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/4779 ... _at_Jerez/
You're kidding right? Everyone knows what filming day is for, no one cares. It's a rubbish article by a joke blog/site but if they want to play:
In light of Jerez tests the very fact of running on track and announcing it is enough to consider event "promotional", thus fulfilling all spirit of the rules requirements. It's a promotion through "positive" news ;-), no need for filming or pictures. It worked, didn't it?

Speaking of comic relief and since Lotus is looking for TP (whatever it's called) with Quesnel as a candidate, I remembered this bit, since author is often quoted on boards and such:
J. Saward: "The fact that Gerard Lopez has had to step in and become team principal himself is curious. He has no real qualifications for the job, his expertise is in corporate wheeling and dealing rather than in managing F1 people. One can only wonder why this has happened. One can see that perhaps he wants to keep a high profile now that Andrew Ruhan has taken on a bigger role in the team. It is clear that Lopez enjoys the profile that F1 brings him."

Now replace Lopez with Fernandes, count how long he was team principal and see where Caterham is now. That's not a very nice way to talk about your boss, is it? If irony could fly this text would be floating into space.